"...container loads of bikes were selling out within days..."

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Extract from The Guardian 21st March 21:

"Electric bikes and sporty road bikes are currently selling particularly well at Decathlon, up 170% and 65% respectively in the first part of this year, but sales of hybrids and commuter bikes are already ahead of 2020.

In the UK, deliveries are also being held up by a worldwide shortage of shipping containers, which is causing hold-ups and prices increases when transporting goods, as well as issues at British ports caused by Brexit and changes in working practices as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic."

Full article here:
Cycling boom rolls on amid struggle to meet UK demand during Covid (msn.com)

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
:D:D:D
not so lucky - I have no stock in Feb, March and April.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In a few years there will be glut of used cheap bikes flooding the market, once the cycling novelty where's thin.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
I tend to agree as once the fad of ebikes is over this when everyone who rides a bike

in time has an e bike then prices shall go down big time or else wont sell .

D

Deleted member 33385

In a few years there will be glut of used cheap bikes flooding the market, once the cycling novelty where's thin.
I tend to agree as once the fad of ebikes is over this when everyone who rides a bike

in time has an e bike then prices shall go down big time or else wont sell .

I wouldn't be so sure. While there is a need for social distancing, people will want ebikes to get to work. It may well last years yet:

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I wouldn't be so sure. While there is a need for social distancing, people will want ebikes to get to work. It may well last years yet:
Have to agree with this , If anything bike prices are set to rise as there is a big shortage of components as well as bikes, My friend who has been a bike dealer for over 30 years says orders placed last year have been cut right down by the manufacturers due to part shortages and shipping problems.

MINKY

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2017
lancashire
think your wrong e bikes will continue to rise with people like me being a prime example ...ive never been a cyclist never really liked the slog especially when the wind and slopes were conspiring against me .....
got a ebike and pretty much smashed through everything ..great fun ... managed 5000 miles before i wrecked the motor with to many watery rides ....bought another ....

i still have zero desire to ride a ordinary bike and never will
i think the market is crammed with new riders that hated the old fashioned pushbike scene butlove the fun of e bikes

macamxthe1st

Sep 30, 2020
Ordered a Cube Kathmandu in September 2020. Originally promised for December 2020. Just been informed late May 2021 at best. Bugger.

Sep 13, 2020
Herein lies the current supply problem:-

“We do not know how long the demand will last for which is why many producers are reluctant to invest more in machinery and production capacity if they don’t expect this level of demand to continue indefinitely,” he said.
Brexit gets routinely blamed for pretty much everything (except a fantastic vaccine rollout), but in this case I reckon it's the above.

As to how long the demand will actually last, difficult to say. But there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that e bikes are an order of magnitude above the ordinary pushbike, in terms of the cycling experience. So with increasing cycle lanes, the imperative for greener travel, lower maintenance costs as compared to cars, and easier parking. Not to mention how long people will want to continue avoiding buses due to lack of adequate social distancing, I'd say the demand will last some time. Years not months.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Delays even more inevitable now that Evergreen have blockaded the Suez.

• :D
Reactions: snafu

Handle

Jul 4, 2020
Doubt ebikes are going anywhere / a fad can only see the industry getting larger I also never cycled but always fancied buying / building an ebike for work commute finally did it actually prefer it to the car more interesting and like the idea of less road taxes / mots / insurances / fuel and these costs rising along with the push for expensive EV's and green infrastructure. It doesn't take that much longer to commute also (10-15 mins) that was a big eye opener.

Did a 40 mile ride out the other day for no reason used to think cyclists were nutters doing those kind of mileages+ but it passes so quick on an ebike. Lost roads and routes are opened doors once again.

For towns, cities and local rural ebikes along with the electric scooters / skateboards depending on legislation really is the future younger generations won't own cars or even driving licences the way we do now some don't bother with them already preferring to rent IPhone 27 XTRRRRRRZ black edition £250 a month unlimited data (mining).

Already seeing it starting to creep in with renting EV's for £359+ for 1 month rolling contracts everything included.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
We have now been married 50+ years and always enjoyed cycling, even if we did get funny looks at times from kids in cars. (Mummy, what are those funny things those people have?) Unfortunately, anno domini has taken its toll, but ebikes have come to the rescue. We try to go out everyday if possible for a short ride 12miles+ and holidays are planned around taking our caravan and bikes to some area where we can enjoy exploring on our bikes probably covering 40 miles.

Reactions: JammyDodger

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Have to agree with this , If anything bike prices are set to rise as there is a big shortage of components as well as bikes, My friend who has been a bike dealer for over 30 years says orders placed last year have been cut right down by the manufacturers due to part shortages and shipping problems.
So many people ive spoken with and like the idea of an e bike , but prices as they are today put them off from purchasing ..So when so many people are saying so expensive inc woman i spoke with when she was walking her ebike , and i asked what like they were and her answer was heavy and are expensive but are great for uphills ..So i just think with so many people ive spoken with its the price now that puts them off , and if they do go up in price then not so many shall care to purchase . Personally i shall purchase as have the £s for such

But waiting for Spring soon coming with us and i then shall but im learning about them last while from this very site plus ..But prices is what puts so many not to purchase

As for prices i feel they shall go down way and not up as time moves on .