Help! Max Rider Weight on 6061 T6 Aluminium Frame

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Anyone know what the maximum load would be on a 6061 frame ? Also, is there a chance of damaging a Bafang G020 Hub drive with a heavy rider ? I think they use nylon internal gears.

I Need to know if it’s suitable for around 130kg rider.

D

Deleted member 33385

Anyone know what the maximum load would be on a 6061 frame ?

I think you'd have to look up the specs of the exact frame. Lots of bike frame designs are made using 6061, like mine:

Suggested rider weight: 105kg

Also, is there a chance of damaging a Bafang G020 Hub drive with a heavy rider ? I think they use nylon internal gears.

Front hub or rear hub? Here's a front hub:

No rider weight is quoted, that I can see:

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnsleyrob

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Anyone know what the maximum load would be on a 6061 frame ? Also, is there a chance of damaging a Bafang G020 Hub drive with a heavy rider ? I think they use nylon internal gears.

With your weight you'd be better off using a larger motor like the Bafang BPM or SWX02 or whatever the latest designations are. Another good one is the AKM128 also known as the Q128..

Also very important is that you choose a low RPM one. If you're not bothered about speed, a 201 rpm one will get you around 15 mph, otherwise a 260 rpm one, but not in a 29" wheel.

You also need to be thinking about running with a bit more current than normal, depending on your fitness.

Reactions: Barnsleyrob

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Thanks both.

It’s for a mate (honest) who is struggling on his existing bike and looking to see if my Pinnacle Mercury might be more suitable.

I’m guessing that a street legal 250W would struggle regardless of manufacturer. The issues are that he has to get off and push on 6% gradients (so torque and watts) and he’s running out of range (capacity). Our batteries are both similar sized (around 10.5 Ah) but whereas I got 37 miles out of mine, his died at around 18 miles.

D

Deleted member 33385

Thanks both.

It’s for a mate (honest) who is struggling on his existing bike and looking to see if my Pinnacle Mercury might be more suitable.

I’m guessing that a street legal 250W would struggle regardless of manufacturer. The issues are that he has to get off and push on 6% gradients (so torque and watts) and he’s running out of range (capacity). Our batteries are both similar sized (around 10.5 Ah) but whereas I got 37 miles out of mine, his died at around 18 miles.

Pinnacle appears to be an Evan's own brand name - every weight related detail is listed as "21kg"

...which can't be right - best contact them?

Last edited:

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I recently fitted a Woosh kit to my tandem: https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#dwg22c-48v-kit

My experience so far may be of use to you as the overall weights will be similar.

See this thread for more details: https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/orbit-tandem-woosh-dwg22c-48v-rear-hub-kit.40584/#post-610137

We're a relatively lightweight team with a combined weight of around 130Kg. The tandem with battery fitted is about 35Kg, so a total of 165Kg. The Woosh hub I fitted I believe is one with the highest torque rating at 60Nm. Thus far, it has been excellent and is both more powerful than I expected and has a good range. That said, we still put in a fair bit of our own effort on the climbs. The hub motor does not make the bike into an electric motorcycle, but it does make a significant difference to our ability to tackle steep hills / strong headwinds.

In terms of weight limits on a solo bike, it will probably depend largely on the frame type (MTB or road) etc. For example, I think the absolute limit for my 2011 alloy frame Specialized Tricross Sport is around 135Kg.

Last edited: