Faulty eCarrera Crossfire

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Just tell Halfrauds that you are rejecting the bike as it is not fit for purpose and refuse to leave the store until they refund you, It is well documented on various threads about the problems with this bike. I had the same problems and demanded a refund and subsequently bought the Crossfuse.

Reactions: NewtSoup

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I find Halfords are OK about this, and if you are polite but insistent that you can't put up with the issues of the Crossfire they will give you full credit towards a Crossfuse. I know you probably can't use the Consumer credit act if you have had the bike for 3 months but Halfords are accomodating on this if you push them. Probably best to make an appointment with the store manager and chat it through with him/her.
Mike

NewtSoup

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2018
Leicester UK
For your amusement - Halfords Website right now:

Generic Error

The store is currently experiencing problems. Try again later.

Try clicking here to return to the page you came from.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

bjorn123

Just Joined
Feb 6, 2020
My spare Samsung celled Phylion SF-06 battery cost just £150 (Halfords £400). And I recently bought a spare, genuine, 5-pin Phylion (made by Sans, branded Joycube) charger for my Phylion SF-06 batteries, postage paid, from Romania, for £28. Makes Halfords £100 (or even £65 when on offer) seem totally ridiculous!
Sorry for high jacking the thread. Im trying to source an Phylion SF-06 battery. Any pointers on where to find one at a good price?

Fowlerj1000

Just Joined
Feb 10, 2020
Ive had the same and more and paid £1000 only in Nov 18

bearings went 14 monthsold
Rear wheel deformed as spokes kept getting lose 13 months

Two new tyres much better ones as default set got punctured every two weeks on normal roads not off road. Original tyres they did not think about the weight of the bike

Rear wheel deformed replaced due to weight of bike
Ecu replaced 14 mnths okd

Electric panel failed after only 14 months of use
Control button panel fell off very easily One month old

over £500 of damage i reckon on a bike now 15 months old and cost £1000

halfords had to send away for some of the repairs and said it would take over two weeks As so many in for repairs!!

Halford did cover all but the wheel under warranty so good , as electrics has two year warranty and bike one year

looks to me like they did no research when they designed the bike just bolted a battery and motor to a standard bike and the weight is a real issue

RickyB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 12, 2021
My Crossfire is over 3 yrs old now. It’s had the cutting out issue from day 1, tho Halfords have always denied there is an ongoing problem.

They’ve given a variety of excuses – overheating (even first thing on a cold, frosty morning!), poor connections (which they claim they fixed), and water getting into the display or contacts (so my fault for riding it in wet weather!!).

Another excuse is that are they are too busy to see me – come back in the few months, when they might have availability! And they have since closed their Bath store, saying I now need to take it to Bristol or Trowbridge. The trouble is, when you take it in, they need it for the day, at least, leaving you stranded without transport, so I’ve just learned to grin and bear it, even tho it is inconvenient and sometimes downright dangerous...

I actually put a review about the Crossfire problems on the Halfords website – they immediately took it down, saying it didn’t comply with their regulations!!

RickyB

Apr 12, 2021
Halford's response to my review of the Crossfire:

Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!

D

Deleted member 33385

Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!
You could put your review on this site in the review section. Probably.

Reactions: RickyB and sjpt

Wheelybry

Just Joined
Apr 7, 2021

They'll publish next time as long as the review doesn't mention anything critical, particularly the cutting out issue that they deny exists.

RickyB

Apr 12, 2021
Yep, it was mainly about the cutting out issue. I sent them a review last yr, too, which they also censored...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are typical of a lot of in house reviews, they won't publish because of the real world negative issues showing up the short comings of the bikes reliability. The only way users can really get a better non bias review is on forums like this, if peeps do their home work properly and go to a dedicated forum they will get more truthful answers then in house censored company reviews that puts their poor product in a good light.
These issues have now been running for 3 or 4 years and nothing changes except the bu****it coming out of Halfrauds.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They are typical of a lot of in house reviews, they won't publish because of the real world negative issues showing up the short comings of the bikes reliability. The only way users can really get a better non bias review is on forums like this, if peeps do their home work properly and go to a dedicated forum they will get more truthful answers then in house censored company reviews that puts their poor product in a good light.
These issues have now been running for 3 or 4 years and nothing changes except the bu****it coming out of Halfrauds.
Yes, this is quite a good place to get honest reviews. There are still a few shills and stooges, but they're pretty easy to spot if you have an IQ higher than an amoeba.

Interestingly, many Chinese products have unsensored review sections on their websites. Trustpilot isn't bad for popular consumer products, but the smaller the business or product, the higher the proportion of fake reviews.

A couple of years ago, I left a review on Trustpilot for a motorbike shop that gave me terrible service on a number of points, like the bike I went to see was filthy dirty, the guy showing it to me hadn't a clue about it, I had to wait for ages for help, they couldn't find the bike, there were conflicting stories about why it wasn't in the showroom when they finally found it, none of which sounded very plausible, etc. The next day 4 new reviews were posted: One said how knowledgeable the staff were, one said how quick they were, another said how clean the bike was and the last explained how they'd gone to the trouble of getting the bike ready before their visit.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
My Crossfire is over 3 yrs old now. It’s had the cutting out issue from day 1
Yep, it was mainly about the cutting out issue. I sent them a review last yr, too, which they also censored...
There certainly were many negative reviews published on Halfords website 3 years ago regarding the Crossfire cutting out issue, as it related to the version they were then selling, the version Newtsoup here was then posting about.

Maybe the issue is that the Crossfire you're writing your review about is a similar, older Mk1 version? The current e-bike is now in its 2021 Mk3 iteration, and there certainly have been several obvious changes. Your older 3-year old Crossfire with its cut-out problems isn't necessarily reflective of the latest/current updated version.

Maybe post your review here. For several years I wrote Amazon reviews - the more I wrote, the more free product I was sent, and I became a "top" reviewer. Sometimes I wrote damning reviews because the product I'd been sent was genuinely crap... but you have to be careful how you say that unless you want to be sued. Once I was threatened with litigation, but in the end I stopped reviewing because sometimes you'd write a really honest, enthusiastic review about a really good product but still get criticised for it because the cynics would pile in accusing you of only writing a positive review because "it was free". Yeah, right, a £10 product you'd taken several hours to thrash, and then spend another couple of hours writing an honest review... on a product you really didn't want or need anyway. It's easy to be cynical.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

I've stopped leaving Amazon reviews, unless it's very bad... and the last time I did that, some irate company owner from Germany kept phoning me repeatedly, asking me to take it off lol. My review was horriffic. Then rather suddenly, my highly negative review was pushed out of sight by a whole raft of positive reviews refuting point for point what I'd said in my negative review. The fake review situation is even worse, if you want to buy a good read...

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep companies will get a load of insiders to put up anti negative good reviews.

RickyB

Apr 12, 2021
If you want a response from Halford's, try Trust Pilot - just rec'd this from them, in relataion to my faulty Crossfire:

Reply from Halfords Retail
2 hours ago

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your honest review regarding your bike, and the issue with our product reviews.

We're sorry to hear of this and apologise for your experience.

All reviews for our products are welcomed, however must be purely product based. The reviews are word sensitive, if your review relates to a service issue, sadly your review may not be published. These reviews are assessed by a 3rd party so that it remains impartial.

Once again we sincerely apologise for the issues that you have had and for any upset caused.

We still need to address the issues with your bike, which we are keen to assist you with. In order to protect your details, we have reached out privately regarding this.

Best wishes ~ Lisa.

Eejit

Sep 19, 2020
I bought both mine and the wife's Carrera Crossfire in July 2018. To be honest we haven't used them as much as we wanted due to family issues etc and so haven't experienced many cut out issues. The cut outs have been on my bike and seem to be related to pin 1 on the display getting stuck on the down position. I see that there have been a number of changes to the Crossfire but how do I know whether we've got MK1 or MK2?