Mxus freehub removal

Rupert Simpson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2018
Wales. GB
Hi Everyone, my first post so go easy on me please!
I've fitted a mxus geared hub on the rear of our Tandem and it's been great, enabling us to have the confidence to cycle further than before and in busier traffic, today we got caught in some heavy rain during a pretty tough 40 miler, the freehub started making a rumbling noise during freewheeling , when i spin the pedals backwards at standstill it also makes the noise.
I can't seem to get the freehub off(see pics) I've removed the nut on spindle and circlip that was against this bearing but my gentle attempt with a nylon mallet hasn't moved it, has anyone removed one of these? Any help would be much appreciated. Rupe

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have to take the side-plate off. I can't remember if you can disassemble it from the side-plate or if it's supplied as an assembly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Freehub body may be like that of the AKM128C where the freebody is a fixed item to the face plate and will need a new face plate.

Rupert Simpson

Oct 13, 2018
Wales. GB
Thankyou,vfr400 and Nealh for your prompt replies, yes I went out at 5.30 this morning and undid the side plate screws, the freehub came off with the side plate(I took pics will post on this when I get home so it may help someone else) now the problem is where can I get a replacement, the motor has only done approx 800 miles and appears like new, tapping in 'mxus freehub'doesn't seem to bring anything up to buy, the closest match is at Grin Technologies but seems a different model. Help.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thankyou,vfr400 and Nealh for your prompt replies, yes I went out at 5.30 this morning and undid the side plate screws, the freehub came off with the side plate(I took pics will post on this when I get home so it may help someone else) now the problem is where can I get a replacement, the motor has only done approx 800 miles and appears like new, tapping in 'mxus freehub'doesn't seem to bring anything up to buy, the closest match is at Grin Technologies but seems a different model. Help.
I've seen them somewhere, but I can't think where. It was someone selling these motors. It might be worth sending an email direct to MXUS. they're normally quite helpful. be very careful with language or else they won't be able to understand you. A photo would help along with any numbers on the motor.
E-mail:panjin@mxusebikekit.com

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I found the thread I remembered. I reckon your one comes off the same:

Rupert Simpson

Oct 13, 2018
Wales. GB
Just an update for anyone interested, I was fed up with being unable to get the side cover, Mxus so far haven't responded, Lbs unable to help so the Tandem was off the road. I saw somewhere about trickling in some engine oil into the freehub. The noise went away immediately! I feel both daft for not trying it sooner and really chuffed that the bike is back on the road, we rode 30 miles on it this weekend and still quiet, it's probably just another quirk of that model but if I get a chance to get a spare sidecover I will. Thanks again for advice everyone.

Attachments

karterd

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Just an update for anyone interested, I was fed up with being unable to get the side cover, Mxus so far haven't responded, Lbs unable to help so the Tandem was off the road. I saw somewhere about trickling in some engine oil into the freehub. The noise went away immediately! I feel both daft for not trying it sooner and really chuffed that the bike is back on the road, we rode 30 miles on it this weekend and still quiet, it's probably just another quirk of that model but if I get a chance to get a spare sidecover I will. Thanks again for advice everyone.
Hi, I have almost an identical issue to you. What do you mean by putting engine oil into the freehub? I'm not too familiar with the mechanical side. So you took the wheel off and took the cassette, then applied the oil? Sorry lol

Thanks

Rupert Simpson

Oct 13, 2018
Wales. GB
Hi Karterd,
Sorry for the late reply, yes to get access i had to remove wheel and then remove the cassette, this then gives room to dribble some oil in to the gap by outside bearing and also some in the gap where the freehub meets the motor cover, but it has happened again because im cycling in all weather's and it can't be sealed very well I will try 3in1 next time it happens Thanks vfr400, in the meantime if anyone can find a source of this sidecover I'd like to have a spare, happy cycling.
Rupe

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi Karterd,
Sorry for the late reply, yes to get access i had to remove wheel and then remove the cassette, this then gives room to dribble some oil in to the gap by outside bearing and also some in the gap where the freehub meets the motor cover, but it has happened again because im cycling in all weather's and it can't be sealed very well I will try 3in1 next time it happens Thanks vfr400, in the meantime if anyone can find a source of this sidecover I'd like to have a spare, happy cycling.
Rupe
You could try going direct to MXUS sales. They're normally a happy helpful bunch.