Crystalyte hub kit on tandem

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Changing from 2.9 to 3.1 as I turn the crank.
That's a good sign, but not the whole story. Some need a pull-up resistor to make them switch, which would typically be on the controller's pcb. 10K would be a typical value, but it should work with anything from 3k to 30k. Have you got a resistor anywhere that you can poke down the back of the brown wire and hold the other end on the blue wire while you measure again?

• Informative
Reactions: pentiumofborg

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
That's a good sign, but not the whole story. Some need a pull-up resistor to make them switch, which would typically be on the controller's pcb. 10K would be a typical value, but it should work with anything from 3k to 30k. Have you got a resistor anywhere that you can poke down the back of the brown wire and hold the other end on the blue wire while you measure again?
No. Is it worth getting one off t'internet, probably more in postage. I've just cleared out a few old radios etc, nothing I could scavenge one from.

The background to this is, if swmbo isn't happy riding on the stoker seat then it might not be worth the bother. I'd be selling it on, in a better condition than when I got it. I can use the motor with throttle to test it with her.
If everything is ok I'd be happy to go down the new controller and screen, new throttle, speed sensor (none at the moment) and pedal sensor, if compatible with the motor. I'd prefer the know what's going on. If there is a problem with controller I can probably get a bit of a refund from the seller, it was sold as working, though he might not have realised. It was one of a few disability machines he was selling. Seemed an ok chap.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
No. Is it worth getting one off t'internet, probably more in postage. I've just cleared out a few old radios etc, nothing I could scavenge one from.

The background to this is, if swmbo isn't happy riding on the stoker seat then it might not be worth the bother. I'd be selling it on, in a better condition than when I got it. I can use the motor with throttle to test it with her.
If everything is ok I'd be happy to go down the new controller and screen, new throttle, speed sensor (none at the moment) and pedal sensor, if compatible with the motor. I'd prefer the know what's going on. If there is a problem with controller I can probably get a bit of a refund from the seller, it was sold as working, though he might not have realised. It was one of a few disability machines he was selling. Seemed an ok chap.
Those old infineon controllers are pretty bad bt today's standards. If it were my bike, that would be the first thing to go.

Reactions: jimriley
D

Deleted member 33385

The background to this is, if swmbo isn't happy riding on the stoker seat then it might not be worth the bother.
I do hope that your missus likes it. I can't imagine that a recumbent would be much of a challenge to ride, for a man who rides unicycles. The Vision looks like a great tandem.

Last edited: