Review Gocycle (G3+)

D

Deleted member 33385

No, its all down to stone chips or scrapes, perhaps I should always keep the front mudguard on, but I'm not certain that would help, and its another two bolts to tighten each time I put the bike together

Could you attach long rubber mudflaps? I have seen them somewhere on one of these threads...

Aha! Here are the ones mentioned - these very likely won't fit your mudguards, but you get the idea:

Something like those might keep some of the stones away...

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
About your limited space on your tapering handlebars, consider a stainless steel U-bolt and attachments from RAM Mount. They have attachments for everything you could possibly want and the connections are versatile and totally secure.

A question for you. You mentioned that the instructions advise not to change the level of motor assist by phone app while you are underway. I believe this means that you set the average assist you want and then rely on the boost button for uphill terrain. How does this work in practice? The reason I ask is that I’m frequently changing the level of assist on my Bosch setup, unless in eMTB mode. I’m not sure how I’d feel about having only two levels of assist, the assist of your choice plus boost assist.
G3 handlebars. plastic with Knight Rider LEDs in the plastic!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I like the Gocycle. Fully enclosed drive train and hub gears is very clean and pratical. They look fab though that is personal.

From all accounts they ride really well, and last well. I may never own one but I can appreciate why you might want to.

Is it £3,399 better than my £100 second hand Oxygen? Does it matter?

Probably a better question is whether it is £2,530 better than a Woosh Rambletta.

Lets face it if you are buying a Rambletta you are probably not considering a Gocycle.

I am pleased they both exist.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
A good review and it pleases me I made the right decision in not getting one. I still lust after it but don't think it would be suitable in my far from flat riding conditions.
Then there's wiping it down after getting rained on, it's more work than having a horse.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
STATUS UPDATE

i have recently traded in my G3+ and bought a new gocycle G4i (despite the trade in I had to spend as much as buying the previous gocgcle, £4k!).

the highlights for the new bike are:
Noticeably more powerful motor, which kicks in without the one/two second lag of the G3.
silent motor operation.
Much more rapid and compact folding operation than my previous model.
Noticeably lighter (especially since I did away with paniers).

Slight disappointment is that despite their claims I don't experience any significant increase in range. The battery remains at 375KWh like the G3, so I guess the more powerful motor is depleting it just as fast? When folded its very easy to remove the battery, so I've enquired with dealers about buying a second battery, which would double the range for the sake of carrying the cattery.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase... I guess this makes me pretty loyal to the gocycle brand!

PS I've found a hack for the beeline despite the oversize handlebars, and will post a pic here after I next take the bike out.

See here;

Last edited:

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
So you got only around £500 discount for trading in your G3+? :oops:
It's a cruel world,! They said this was on basis of being able to sell it for a grand...

Maybe I could have got myself £1200 I reckon, but I had neither the money nor the storage space so I went ahead for the sake of expediency... Also it was in for a service, so not paying that bill probably took it to £700 trade in.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
You had G3 for quite a while. Can you comment on reliability and service costs?

I can't think of a bike that would be less appealing to me, but I do understand we are all different and have different preferences.

May I ask why G4i and not G4? It looks to my untrained eye like G4i has very little more to offer, but it costs £1100 more.

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
You had G3 for quite a while. Can you comment on reliability and service costs?
May I ask why G4i and not G4? It looks to my untrained eye like G4i has very little more to offer, but it costs £1100 more.
Yes, had the bike for three years, more or less. In that time I paid about £135 for servicing. There were a couple of routine services, plus a failure of the front gearbox and front light bracket. Each of these were treated as warranty issues some didn't havevto pay for parts.

What you get extra on the G4i are bigger battery, more heads up led indicators, electric gear change, and DRL (daylight running light) Which is a front facing led strip to aid visibility.

Also mudguards and lights are now included on all G4 models.