So wobbly wheels are ok then??

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Let's start by saying I am a novice here.

Short version – Mid Jan had my 10 year old Giant Sedonna converted by local company. Rear wheel cadence sensor hub.
By March there was a clicking sound coming from the rear wheel. Took it back and was told it was the spokes (see more below)

Mid May and the clicking is getting worse and finally got hold of him to look at it again this weekend. The clicking is a regular noise rather than a random. The clicking occurs whether pedalling or not and with and without use of the motor so the wheel is the problem? At this point I also found a wobble in the rear wheel which I would guess to be a 2mm movement. Bike has done just over 700 miles.

He took the bike for a quick ride but did not remove the wheel or anything else.

His written response as follows (his spelling) -

"1. Small amount of play in hub motor baering - All CSC hub motors have a very small amount of play in the bearing from new, this can increase by a very small fraction when worn in. On inspection of your bike I can confirm that the very minor movement is within tolerance.

2. Noise from spokes - When this issue was initially reported we had you bring in your bike under warranty. As discussed, we found that some of your spokes had become loose, I re-tentioned the spokes and made sure everything is in working order. There was still a very minor noise coming from the spokes due to where they had rubbed away the black coating in some places. As with all rubbing spokes this can be resolved with the application of grease. This kind of ware and tare is quite normal. "

Is this correct or am I being shafted here?
Steve

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That sounds correct. Especially if you are fairly heavy you can expect spokes to loosen. It won't happen on a really well built wheel. Maybe the wheel they put in for the conversion was not very well built and tensioned, but I don't think you are being shafted.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
So does the click speed match your road speed, ie once per rev? Could it be brakes (what type?). Does it click if you invert or dangle the bike and rotate the wheel?

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
So does the click speed match your road speed, ie once per rev? Could it be brakes (what type?). Does it click if you invert or dangle the bike and rotate the wheel?
Yes regular click once per rev. Checked brakes old style blocks and its not that. Click only happens when riding - not when wheel lifted off ground

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
He
I just had a similar experience. I am not as heavy as you (85kg) and started hearing this clunk.
Turned out to be the axle was eccentric. Mine was a mid-drive motor, it sounds like your rear hub motor has a similar issue.

The thread is here:https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/2-years-on-with-the-tsdz2.41325/post-618583
He has a cassette motor with a 12mm axle supported on three bearings. The chance of it getting bent is close to zero. Yours was probably 9mm, which is fairly easy to bend - even worse if its a freewheel. That's another disadvantage of using crank motors, especially high power ones. The forces through the drive chain are massive, and much more than what it's designed for.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
He

He has a cassette motor with a 12mm axle supported on three bearings. The chance of it getting bent is close to zero. Yours was probably 9mm, which is fairly easy to bend - even worse if its a freewheel. That's another disadvantage of using crank motors, especially high power ones. The forces through the drive chain are massive, and much more than what it's designed for.
I really don't see a motor, certainly not a 250w motor exerting more force on a chain drive system than a big man standing on the pedals to drive a bike up a hill. Sorry, that's just not possible in any scenario.
I think you were right about the 9mm axle, that's about the size of the spindle.
Cheers Tony.

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Update on my original post.

Took bike to proper bike shop - Plan2Ride in Tongwynlais just outside Cardiff.

Spokes - there were a few that were not seated correctly in the hub.
Wobble - cones needed adjustment

Now a silent bike!!

Thanks to Plan2Ride for excellent service - highly recomend them

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Took bike to proper bike shop - Plan2Ride in Tongwynlais just outside Cardiff.
Thanks to Plan2Ride for excellent service - highly recomend them
Thats just opposite that really nice hill up past Castel Coch.

Do you know if they would do a good job of building a complete rear wheel if provided with a 250w hub motor ?