Custom Batteries? Mate Icon Spare Battery Problem!!

Bovinelufe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2021
Hi folks, hope you are all doing well.

I have a Mate Icon. It's really great after a few teething issues. Motor is 500W - needs a 48v 10ah battery. Problem is the manufacturer doesn't have ANY spare batteries and I'd like one, or even two spare.

DATE (not Mate) are based in Netherlands and make custom 48v Mate X batteries but not my kind for the ICON which is slimmer.

Long shot - in the absence of off-the-shelf batteries - what are my options? Get something built?

Where?

Thanks in advance!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

I have a Mate Icon. It's really great after a few teething issues. Motor is 500W - needs a 48v 10ah battery. Problem is the manufacturer doesn't have ANY spare batteries and I'd like one, or even two spare.

DATE (not Mate) are based in Netherlands and make custom 48v Mate X batteries but not my kind for the ICON which is slimmer.

Long shot - in the absence of off-the-shelf batteries - what are my options? Get something built?

Where?

Thanks in advance!
Probably, if you are technically reasonably good, making your own. But if you are not fully DC trained (electricians for example, generally work only on AC!), you would be advised to be very cautious......
YouTube has some good videos for someone who is already reasonably trained, who needs to understand the differences.
Never forget that Li-ion batteries are sadly, in some ways similar to being in a dark room, have a lighted match in one hand, and a stick of dynamite in the other.....
Many here will probably "pooh-pooh" that statement, simply because they themselves are ignorant of the possible dangers to life and health!
There are enough videos on YT of Li-ion batteries going up in very expensive flames and smoke, and showing just how difficult they are to extinguish, if they ever catch fire!
best wishes
Andy

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I love your posts Andy, they nearly always make me chuckle :)I think the OP is asking about having a pack built, not building his own. Maybe us battery builders on here were all kids who liked playing with matches in the woods and letting off those little French bangers which looked like small sticks of dynamite.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon

Where?

Thanks in advance!
Are you in the UK or elsewhere? A photo and dimensions of the battery may help with advise.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

Where?

Thanks in advance!
Take the battery out, photograph it and show us.

Bovinelufe

Jun 18, 2021
Sorry for the delay in replying folks. I am the OP - the battery on the right is my battery - the mate icon one. I'll measure it and post this again. I thought i had struck gold by purchasing the one on the left from ebay. As you can see it's a cm too long, even 1.5 goddammit!! This is a 48v10ah battery. It's almost like they don't exist. I will post dimensions...

Attachments

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Why don't you talk to someone like www.markshop.co.uk? They're main UK resellers of e-bikes very similar to the Mate in construction style/fabrication that also use very similar 48v systems e.g. Samebike 20LV and Fiido M1 Pro. If anyone knows of an alternative that might fit, they likely do.

Bovinelufe

Jun 18, 2021
Why don't you talk to someone like www.markshop.co.uk? They're main UK resellers of e-bikes very similar to the Mate in construction style/fabrication that also use very similar 48v systems e.g. Samebike 20LV and Fiido M1 Pro. If anyone knows of an alternative that might fit, they likely do.
Thanks! looks like they are slightly different but will contact...

Bovinelufe

Jun 18, 2021
Hello again, here's my measurements, I'm still no closer to finding the battery:

Longest side is 420mm, shortest side is 410mm, width (difficult to measure because of curves, so based on sides) is 101-102mm, depth is 43mm - still tearing my head out.