Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The private sector offer more advanced and advantageous treatments at prices many can afford, so many go that way for cataract surgery, as I did for both eyes. At under £5000 the benefit was well worth it to me.
Can be more complex than that. Private sector health care have a different profit driven agenda (oversubscribing medication happen as much as more advanced treatment, as does creating billable conditions, restless leg syndrome come to mind). The nhs may be burdened by terrible layers of mismanagement and desperately dysfunctional IT, but by and large its clinicians make competent clinical decisions on the basis of clinical evidence

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
by and large its clinicians make competent clinical decisions on the basis of clinical evidence
When they can, often they can't due to restrictions and sometime their clinical decisions are inappropriate for patients. I'm posting from first hand knowledge of NHS and Private cataract treatment, not the irrelevancies you mention.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It will work if they do it properly, in the way we treat foot and mouth disease and bovine TB.

Shoot all those who catch it and burn the bodies. That eliminates it.
But bovine TB hasn't disappeared despite the destruction of cattle and badgers.

Just maybe, vaccination could offer a better future?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
Like the ones who implore us to do as they are doing and build-up immunity to Covid?

Must say, I can't see how individuals build-up immunity unless micro-exposure (well below the threshold for active infection) provokes immunity - eventually. Even then, how on earth do people know where they are on the continuum from non-immune (Covid naive) through sufficiently immune to not get ill?
The pandemic is a 100% hoax. Delta variant is total
B.S

• :D
Reactions: wheeler

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
It might settle back, but the coming cold & more humid weather will be a big threat, particularly if “Boris Battles Boffins to save our Christmas” again. That’ll certainly do a few tens of thousands. It did last time.
I have noticed the last few weeks the 7 day moving average has been ticking up on
1. Covid cases
2. Hospital admissions due to Covid
3. Covid deaths.

Scotland seems to have seen a bigger increase than we have. I wonder if that might be down to their Premier league football season staring a couple of weeks before it did in England. I think the problem with football matches is probably not in the grounds but in all the pubs that many fans go to, to watch the games and all the singing and shouting that takes place in those pubs.

Scotland's schools opened a week today, not sure if that is too recent to account for the spike in their cases. I agree with you though, come September/October time I think we could be in a fair bit of difficulty. I don't know what the answer is, I don't think anyone wants another lockdown, perhaps measures just short of that will need to be put in place once again.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
I have noticed the last few weeks the 7 day moving average has been ticking up on
1. Covid cases
3. Covid deaths.

Scotland seems to have seen a bigger increase than we have. I wonder if that might be down to their Premier league football season staring a couple of weeks before it did in England. I think the problem with football matches is probably not in the grounds but in all the pubs that many fans go to, to watch the games and all the singing and shouting that takes place in those pubs.

Scotland's schools opened a week today, not sure if that is too recent to account for the spike in their cases. I agree with you though, come September/October time I think we could be in a fair bit of difficulty. I don't know what the answer is, I don't think anyone wants another lockdown, perhaps measures just short of that will need to be put in place once again.
B.S

Reactions: wheeler

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The private sector offer more advanced and advantageous treatments at prices many can afford, so many go that way for cataract surgery, as I did for both eyes. At under £5000 the benefit was well worth it to me.
Mine was £8k private... And after lots of research decided NHS was advantageous... Got 3 private quotes from private clinics, one of which was totally unimpressed with. (actually needed a good clean)... Rather frightening reviews put me off one other... And with 10 day wait list, top consultant in North, hospital on doorstep and glowing reviews couldn't see point in private. Eye sight in right eye is astonishing me... Colours and clarity perfect. Can't see how private could be better.. (private insisted I needed Toric, NHS said otherwise. Have a good read of reviews before making decision. There are some con artists in private health eye care. (obviously not all)

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Mine was £8k private... And after lots of research decided NHS was advantageous... Got 3 private quotes from private clinics, one of which was totally unimpressed with. (actually needed a good clean)... Rather frightening reviews put me off one other... And with 10 day wait list, top consultant in North, hospital on doorstep and glowing reviews couldn't see point in private. Eye sight in right eye is astonishing me... Colours and clarity perfect. Can't see how private could be better.. (private insisted I needed Toric, NHS said otherwise. Have a good read of reviews before making decision. There are some con artists in private health eye care. (obviously not all)
Well if you had paid , wouldn't that entitle you to put
Zlatan, Private Eye on your CV?
:D

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
1. Covid cases
3. Covid deaths.

Fear is a good tool. I’m of the opinion we should just leave things as they are. I won’t be going in pubs, restaurants, cinemas or theatres or on a plane for a very long time, if ever again. Those industrial are dead, killed by coronavirus and keeping them on life support by pumping cash into them is senseless. Things have changed and we need to find other, more outdoors, entertainment.

I hope they don’t, but if deaths start getting into the 1000+ per day rate again, people will become frightened and start to behave more responsibly. That’s a much more effective tool than Boris rules and regulations which he immediately breaches himself.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and Zlatan

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Survival immunity. As with any pandemic, some survive however bad it is, so can continue the species.
I attempted to word my response to point out that an INDIVIDUAL cannot slowly build up immunity. Not that survivors of a population (assuming there are any) can't result in at least some degree of population immunity.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Survival immunity. As with any pandemic, some survive however bad it is, so can continue the species.
So we think. Between climate change and a bunch of biological near misses (SARS, mers, bird flu, swine flu, ebola) and a hit (covid) I think were like vesuvians having espresso while the mountain rumble, flirting with a mass extinction event

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Data concerning how quickly vaccine protection diminishes must be available. The percentage of double vaccinated people being admitted to hospital must also be known. Why aren’t we seeing it? Are they concerned we might stop gambling and boozing if we do? That would damage the UKs two most prestigious industries.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But bovine TB hasn't disappeared despite the destruction of cattle and badgers.
Simply because deer are out of control in this country and they carry TB at exactly the same rate as badgers. Worse still they often drink from raised cattle troughs, ideal for the TB baccilus which lasts well in water so can readily transfer to the cattle.

But trying to convince farmers of this once they get an idea in their head is nigh on impossible. My brother was one of these stubborn dairy farmers. Even after showing him some absolute proof he refused to change his mind.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
When they can, often they can't due to restrictions and sometime their clinical decisions are inappropriate for patients. I'm posting from first hand knowledge of NHS and Private cataract treatment, not the irrelevancies you mention.
There is life beyond cataracts. Hard to believe, I know. Recent forensic work (with a private practitioner for the defence arguing for temporary insanity/emotional automatism despite significant pre meditation - alleged perpetrator purchased illegal fire arm before shooting ex associate who screwed him - i.e. being a complete prostitute professionally speaking) comes to mind. You really do need to make that hazardous journey down from the soap box.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see Johnson has his own Captain Hindsight in the cabinet:

Mishal Husain Gives Dominic Raab A Swift Reality Check On Today Programme
The foreign secretary admitted "with hindsight" he should not have gone on holiday.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Fear is a good tool. I’m of the opinion we should just leave things as they are. I won’t be going in pubs, restaurants, cinemas or theatres or on a plane for a very long time, if ever again. Those industrial are dead, killed by coronavirus and keeping them on life support by pumping cash into them is senseless. Things have changed and we need to find other, more outdoors, entertainment.

I hope they don’t, but if deaths start getting into the 1000+ per day rate again, people will become frightened and start to behave more responsibly. That’s a much more effective tool than Boris rules and regulations which he immediately breaches himself.
Not to mention the point that there will be less survivors to pass on the virus., and in the meantime good news for the planet when a variant that is completely unstoppable evolves, and wipes the few of us remaining off the face of the Earth
Effective end product of anti vaxxers with their own mass movement:
rebellion extinction

Reactions: Woosh and oyster

Advertisers