Essential gear and accessories

Argus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2021
DD8
Hi

I've just ordered a Ribble Hybrid AL e - Blue Fully Loaded Edition. It's my first e-bike and my first any-bike for 20 years! Hope I made the right choice. It is scheduled for delivery towards the end of November.

Anyway, during this waiting time, I thought I could acquire some essential gear and accessories. My list so far is:

Lock
Pannier bags
Jacket
Shorts
Helmet
Gloves
Trousers
Multi-tool
Pocket-sized pump
Chain lube
Inner tube
Phone mount

Wondering what you think? And is anything missing?

Cheers (and looking forward to being an active part of this community).

David

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi

I've just ordered a Ribble Hybrid AL e - Blue Fully Loaded Edition. It's my first e-bike and my first any-bike for 20 years! Hope I made the right choice. It is scheduled for delivery towards the end of November.

Anyway, during this waiting time, I thought I could acquire some essential gear and accessories. My list so far is:

Lock
Pannier bags
Jacket
Shorts
Helmet
Gloves
Trousers
Multi-tool
Pocket-sized pump
Chain lube
Inner tube
Phone mount

Wondering what you think? And is anything missing?

Cheers (and looking forward to being an active part of this community).

David
GPS Tracker and the SmartPhone app, to follow the data/Bike?
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have you considered insurance for your pride and joy to be.

RogerA

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Unless you already wear glasses, I would recommend getting some cycling glasses. A fly in the eye is not pleasant and is potentially dangerous in traffic.
You can either get cycling specific glasses with interchangeable lenses (clear/tinted), or I prefer to use rap around safety glasses. I have a clear pair and a sunglasses pair.

Reactions: Argus

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Depending how you want to ride, Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. Almost 100% puncture proof, brilliant for commuting and practical riding; you can (almost) forget the pump and inner tube. However, the ride isn't the best; it does take a little of the joy of riding.

Argus

Aug 25, 2021
DD8
Depending how you want to ride, Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. Almost 100% puncture proof, brilliant for commuting and practical riding; you can (almost) forget the pump and inner tube. However, the ride isn't the best; it does take a little of the joy of riding.
Thanks. As it happens, the bike is being supplied with Schwalbe Marathon Rigid Tyre Black/Reflex.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Not something which immediately springs to mind but if you are likely to be out in wet weather or off the beaten track.....

Waterproof socks. (seriously)... I have a pair of Sealskinz and Otter brands.. Bloody fantastic. Don't bother with the ankle length, the water runs down the inside and fills them up. Calf or knee length are the way to go. Even if you have to wade across a stream feet stay bone dry, I was sceptical but can't recommend them enough. Expensive (For socks) but you won't be disappointed.

TTFN
John.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Can you get them changed to Marathon Plus?
Just searched for the Marathon rigid; slightly more confused than before. I didn't find anything sensible on the Schwalbe site. Wiggle show both an 'original' rigid (including the comment Other manufacturers call such a tyre "Plus") and a 'plus' rigid. It looks as if 'rigid' is just a term they have added for the latest generation of both? ('rigid' seems an odd term to apply to a tyre to me)

Argus

Aug 25, 2021
DD8
Just searched for the Marathon rigid; slightly more confused than before. I didn't find anything sensible on the Schwalbe site. Wiggle show both an 'original' rigid (including the comment Other manufacturers call such a tyre "Plus") and a 'plus' rigid. It looks as if 'rigid' is just a term they have added for the latest generation of both? ('rigid' seems an odd term to apply to a tyre to me)

I’ve no idea. Just what the Ribble spec says.

chipfork

Aug 12, 2021
One thing I've found essential are mirrors. I bought some Hafny bar end bike mirrors, quite small but functional and they are mounted solidly.