Tow hitch and then a bike rack for a 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
We just got our Focus Planet e-Bikes and have started thinking about a bike rack. The first thing would be a tow bar and I see they're available but they all say, "not for hybrid". We're not towing anything so that wouldn't apply right?

Many thanks.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
Or it could mean it just does not fit a hybrid, because of the design of the car.
Yeah but I believe Toyota made an Auris that isn't a hybrid so I thought maybe they said that because of towing restrictions with a hybrid. There shouldn't be any issues using it for a bike rack, or I don't think there should be.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I believe the point is, the Auris is not homologated for towing, so Toyota and towbar maufacturers are going to say not for hybrids. It may be that you could fit one yourself, but unlikely any professional fitter would be prepared to undertake the job.
Of course, if someone knows better, then I am happy to be corrected, but that is my understanding of the subject.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
The gas only Auris is OK for a towbar but not the same model in the hybrid version. Is there a law saying no towbar on a hybrid? Doesn't seem fair especially since I won't be towing.

Thanks for the reply.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Like you my car isn't type approved for towing (Picanto gt s) as I found out after buying the car.:(
l contacted many companies only to find that some Picantos of my year would take a non towing towball but not my model :mad:
I have a Halfords rear hatch mounted 4 bike carrier (£3 on eBay:) )
but I’m only comfortable using it for short journeys, with two E bikes on it the straps loosen and I can see it moving around against my rear window, the bikes also obscure the lights and number plate.

I just came across this conversation, https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/179314-carrying-4-bikes-on-auris-touring-sports-hybrid/

And PaulChen make some nice bespoke carriers that look a lot better than the universal fitment Type, personally I didn’t think ind use it enough to warrant the cost :eek:
Heres the PaulChen system for an Auris

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Toyota Hybrids only power the driven wheels by electric motors, not directly from the engine. This would be too much for transmission and could lead to failure, not what Toyota would want for their most reliable cars.

I had a bike rack that fitted my Prius, only saw it for one other make, so I presumed it is no more. Pity, it was very good.

Two parts bolted under the car where those things with big holes are, I think, for being on the construction line.
The rack slid in and coupled together easily and could carry two bikes. When not in use, it hid in the space under the normal boot floor. I sold it along with the car, and often wish I hadn't.

You might find one of the old adds on the net, maybe can still be bought.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
Like you my car isn't type approved for towing (Picanto gt s) as I found out after buying the car.:(
l contacted many companies only to find that some Picantos of my year would take a non towing towball but not my model :mad:
I have a Halfords rear hatch mounted 4 bike carrier (£3 on eBay:) )
but I’m only comfortable using it for short journeys, with two E bikes on it the straps loosen and I can see it moving around against my rear window, the bikes also obscure the lights and number plate.

I just came across this conversation, https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/179314-carrying-4-bikes-on-auris-touring-sports-hybrid/

And PaulChen make some nice bespoke carriers that look a lot better than the universal fitment Type, personally I didn’t think ind use it enough to warrant the cost :eek:
Heres the PaulChen system for an Auris
Yeah, the PaulChen system might work but, you're right, the cost is prohibitive. Witter Towbars might have something. I'll give them a call. Thanks for the links!

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
Toyota Hybrids only power the driven wheels by electric motors, not directly from the engine. This would be too much for transmission and could lead to failure, not what Toyota would want for their most reliable cars.

I had a bike rack that fitted my Prius, only saw it for one other make, so I presumed it is no more. Pity, it was very good.

Two parts bolted under the car where those things with big holes are, I think, for being on the construction line.
The rack slid in and coupled together easily and could carry two bikes. When not in use, it hid in the space under the normal boot floor. I sold it along with the car, and often wish I hadn't.

You might find one of the old adds on the net, maybe can still be bought.
Yes, when we lived in California we had a great rack/towbar that I installed on the Prius we had. It worked the same way yours did and was perfect.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I suspect that part of the problem is if a towbar is fitted to your vehicle any subsequent owner could assume it is capable of towing anything, so even if you find a bar to fit, you will struggle to find a company willing to fit it, due to them being held responsible for potential damage to the vehicle in the future. That PaulChen rack is bespoke to your car and looks better designed than many I've seen and prob. works out cheaper than a towbar plus a cheaper universal rack.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
I suspect that part of the problem is if a towbar is fitted to your vehicle any subsequent owner could assume it is capable of towing anything, so even if you find a bar to fit, you will struggle to find a company willing to fit it, due to them being held responsible for potential damage to the vehicle in the future. That PaulChen rack is bespoke to your car and looks better designed than many I've seen and prob. works out cheaper than a towbar plus a cheaper universal rack.
Yeah, now that I think about it you're probably right. A towbar, installation and then a bike rack would cost the same or more. Thanks!

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Yes, I'm sure I've heard people on here being quoted the thick end of £1000 for a towbar with electric hookup. I would imagine there is some kind of ecu involved to defeat things like blown bulb sensors that are fitted to modern cars, but I guess you would not require that for a bike rack.

Reactions: Point Reyes

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
The thing to remember, if a car is not approved for towing and you fit a towbar (probably have to do it yourself) what happens about insurance. Towbar fitting counts (usually) as a modification which must be declared when taking out insurance. If you fail to declare it you could discover you are uninsured.
You would probably need to discuss this with your insurance company before starting the project.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
I think I've ruled out fitting a towbar. Too many uncertainties. The PaulChen system seems the way to go.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I think I've ruled out fitting a towbar. Too many uncertainties. The PaulChen system seems the way to go.
You need a “non towing towball” which can be fitted to the Auris, Prius and Corolla hybrids by any Toyota dealer. Mine was fitted to my Prius hybrid and cost £400.
The only difference is that the ball has two small pegs, one either side of the ball, to stop a normal hitch fitting on the ball. Bike rack hitches have a more open structure that doesn’t interfere with the pegs. My Altera rack fits perfectly. If you were so inclined, you could always cut the pegs off.
Also the ball detaches and so leaves the rear of the car uncluttered.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
You need a “non towing towball” which can be fitted to the Auris, Prius and Corolla hybrids by any Toyota dealer. Mine was fitted to my Prius hybrid and cost £400.
The only difference is that the ball has two small pegs, one either side of the ball, to stop a normal hitch fitting on the ball. Bike rack hitches have a more open structure that doesn’t interfere with the pegs. My Altera rack fits perfectly. If you were so inclined, you could always cut the pegs off.
Also the ball detaches and so leaves the rear of the car uncluttered.
There we go, thanks a lot! I had no idea there was such a thing. Sounds like the perfect solution. I'll check it out.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
There we go, thanks a lot! I had no idea there was such a thing. Sounds like the perfect solution. I'll check it out.
Two main dealers, Burrows in my area, said I couldn’t have a tow ball on a hybrid. The third, another Burrows said no problem it’s listed in Toyota accessories. Mine was listed as for an Auris but also fitted the Prius. Perhaps they should call it a rack ball. Either way it’s a perfect bit of kit that I have used for three years.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
Two main dealers, Burrows in my area, said I couldn’t have a tow ball on a hybrid. The third, another Burrows said no problem it’s listed in Toyota accessories. Mine was listed as for an Auris but also fitted the Prius. Perhaps they should call it a rack ball. Either way it’s a perfect bit of kit that I have used for three years.
Yes, just did a search in Toyota accessories. Entered my registration, scrolled down to a bike carrier for two e-bikes. £488 plus installation. Not cheap but it looks like it can be done.

I really appreciate your input here.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Yes, just did a search in Toyota accessories. Entered my registration, scrolled down to a bike carrier for two e-bikes. £488 plus installation. Not cheap but it looks like it can be done.

I really appreciate your input here.
No problem. I think that they charged me around £400 plus I bought a two bike rack from Altera for around £250 which has been brilliant. Not cheap altogether as you say but a lot cheaper than a new car and there was no way I was going to hang two bikes on the boot lid.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
No problem. I think that they charged me around £400 plus I bought a two bike rack from Altera for around £250 which has been brilliant. Not cheap altogether as you say but a lot cheaper than a new car and there was no way I was going to hang two bikes on the boot lid.
Yes, Roofbox has a large selection including Altera. I really thought a bike rack was out of the question but now it's completely doable. Thanks again.