well plod ceased my m8s ebike last night

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i gets a call on me phone to go up the local pup as all had ebikes and was the last pub on the trip as they made a day of it lol

anyway many pints later its last orders and off we go blasting up the road going 30-40 mph i dart off down the alleyway to go home and the other 3 went straight on.

the only one to have a splat hat on then hits the steal barrier at the top of the road going flat out did not brake and fkn kaboom.

skip to 040 seconds. and he hit that going the other way right hand side.

that thing is now snapped in half as all 3 points snapped at the bottom where it goes in to the floor now that is impressive damage from a hub motor bike as now looks like a car ran it over lol.

anyway he and the bike summer salt over the thing as it broke and near ended up in the main road so he was flying but now has broken his chest bone all his ribs punchers his lung and had a opp today so many months to fix that.

police ceased the bike but other m8 has the batt but said he could be charged with drink driving and damage to barrier lol and a 2hr wait for the meat wagon to show up.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
And the moral of the story?

Take your pick:
1. Illegal bikes are dangerous
2. Speed is dangerous
3. Don't drink & drive
4. Wearing a helmet is smart

Place your bets on which is the 'correct' answer...

Reactions: Forty45 and flash

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine is i should have had a fully charged batt and had my action cam running i could have got millions of views on youtube , ebike destroys steal anti motor bike barrier :cool:

tbh when they rang me and said what he done i did not believe them until i went and seen it for my self lol.

tho all the bikes were derestricted other 2 had bafang 750w overclocked and a shimano steps with a dongle yet plod not interested in that as both the bafang and hub motor bikes had throttles.

so it is pretty clear plod wont do jack until the $hit hits the fan or floor and someone or something gets damaged they wont get involved.

plod ceased the bike but they dont have the battery nor did they do a breath test on site so lets hope they pumped him with enough drugs so a blood test taken at the hospital will be useless at a court if they try to do him for drink driving on a illegal motor bike.

at the end of the day you make your choice and pay the price for it he will be in hospital for weeks if not months with that much damage but imo if he never had that helmet on hitting a barrier going 35mph flying 3m in the sky wont end well without one even if it cost 50 quid its better than nothing going these speeds!

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
plod ceased the bike but they dont have the battery nor did they do a breath test on site so lets hope they pumped him with enough drugs so a blood test taken at the hospital will be useless at a court if they try to do him for drink driving on a illegal motor bike.
Usually after a RTA, the Hospital will do a blood test and report this to the Police.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Technically it's a motorcycle so he could indeed be charged with Drink Driving and no insurance.

Bad life choices have landed him in hospital unfortunately, only good thing is he didn't run anyone over..

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I would be surprised if Plod do anything with this as there is no third party involved, unless you count the barrier.

The only person hurt is the rider of the bike.

I am not saying it would not be easy to show the bike was illegal based on the motor, but I just don't think they will bother.

However It will be interesting to see if The Police take it any further.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I recon he might get a bill for repairs to the barrier. The last time a rode a bike pissed, many years ago, I ended up covered in noodles and sweet and sour sauce, don't ask, but I wasn't doing 35mph. I do hope your mate makes a full recovery SW.

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
And the moral of the story?

Take your pick:
1. Illegal bikes are dangerous
2. Speed is dangerous
3. Don't drink & drive
4. Wearing a helmet is smart

Place your bets on which is the 'correct' answer...
Answering my own post (v poor etiquette, I know) it's #3, I reckon. The others are irrelevant in this particular accident, once you remove #3.
It's a tough lesson being halfway to a motorcycle accident with minimal PPE.
We've all done dumb things in our time - I hope he makes a speedy recovery!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
SW is like marmite, sometimes ok other times not so. He does post some good stuff and this although utterly stupid riding, it is interesting to read what others get up too.

Yes his mate is very lucky to be alive, he could have easily been hit by another vehicle after going over the barrier. He may get done for DD it all depends on the plod, likely he may do as criminal damage was caused to street furniture which is/was there for safety.

What is certain is he will be suffering and for a while will be off his bike literally until he mends.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well it turns out he also broke his collar bone as well and can only remember going down a alleyway and being on the floor and tbh lucky to be still even breathing after that impact.

not seen the police yet and i bet they wont bother for a few weeks as in a right mess atm and hit that thing going near 40mph he just did not see it as to pissed up, 10 pints!

funny thing is tho he did not pancake the front wheel he managed to get it in the middle of one those spindles in the barrier so hit it with the front of the bike frame and imo why it broke the barrier at the base in 3 points where it attaches to the floor.

the frame of the bike must be cracked from that impact but the battery is fine and the most expensive part of his bike.

it had a 1500w hub motor on the rear no brake sensors not that those matter when you dont brake lol and his helmet saved his life if he not had it on he would be dead! or in a much worse state than now put it that way.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
his helmet saved his life if he not had it on he would be dead! or in a much worse state than now put it that way.
He'd have been even better off if he'd had a sensible head to put inside that helmet.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I must admit it's getting kinda difficult to have any sympathy here.
Riding an uninsured, illegal motorbike, in excess of 30mph in an alleyway, whilst drunk. Have I missed anything?

Also, what's the barrier actually for. If the mass of a bike and rider manages to break it, it's not going to do much to stop a car or truck at even lower speeds. Seems like it's best function was to stop a drunk putting himself straight under a bus !

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Also, what's the barrier actually for. If the mass of a bike and rider manages to break it, it's not going to do much to stop a car or truck at even lower speeds. Seems like it's best function was to stop a drunk putting himself straight under a bus !
Their only function is to prevent a pedestrian walking straight out into the road.

This type of barrier is at the entrance / exit of most pedestrian walkways now.

McDonalds also put them outside their places now to prevent someone walking straight out the door into potential moving vehicles.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
If it HAD been a barrier designed to stop a motor vehicle he would probably have died. The 'shear off at the base' failed softly, like crumple zones in cars.

No sympathy here, could have been me, or a friend, he hit.

Reactions: mike killay