Radical new electric bike drive system requires no chains or belts, entirely ride-by-wire

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Hmmm. What happens if the electronics have a failure? I believe on very rare occasions that sort of thing can happen.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
A generator at the front and a motor at the back, just to avoid a chain. Hmm, that just doesn't feel efficient. Whether it's more or less efficient than a chain (which will beat a belt) isn't clear. Over to the electricians...

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A generator at the front and a motor at the back, just avoid a chain. Hmm, that just doesn't feel efficient. Whether it's more or less efficient than a chain (which will beat a belt) isn't clear. Over to the electricians...
Much less efficient and not radical or new either.

It was preceded by the Mando Footloose in 2016, using a near identical system., except that the Mando incorporated a lithium battery as well, giving it more flexibility:

Information Link 1

Information Link 2

Last edited:

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
"One key downside to the setup is a reduced pedaling efficiency. Chains are still the most efficient way to power a bicycle and belt drives offer only a slight efficiency loss."

That looks like a pretty big understatement to me. A bike chain and sprockets in decent order puts a very high percentage of the pedal power on the roads - high nineties of percent. I bet this generator and motor combo don't do anything like that. They say five percent loss, I'd suggest more like twenty.