Cooked my brakes

man1nvan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 1, 2021
Being a confirmed luddite i have always had old school drum brakes on my non electric bikes. I have recently bafanged up an old giant bike equipped with shimano MT50 hydraulic disc brakes. Where i live is properly hilly so a lot of long steep descents, so to cut a long story short my discs have gone blue and the pads are shredded. Has anyone found a good solution particularly for the back brake? Tandem brakes? better disk brakes? any advice gratefully recieved

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

man1nvan

Aug 1, 2021
LOL that is what both my discs look like :( so just a better quality rotor will help? that is good news. Any recommendation on pads resin or steel? sorry i am out of my depth with disc brakes if you want your sturmey archer rebuilding then i am your man :) At the same time as i smelled burning steel the pressure in my lever disappeared as well, even if i pump the lever it never gets to pressure is there a possibility that i have buggered this as well?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when the rotors get that hot it wont matter what pads you use as this also boils the brake fluid so you will need to bleed the brakes if they have gone soft.

since i changed to those rotors i have not had any problems with pad wear and use sintered ones.

you can also get finned brake pads.

get the hope ones if you can afford it but check a rotor that size will fit on the rear first as you will need a adaptor to fit to the caliper like on mine.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Don't know what you guys are doing with your brakes. Living in the Alps I regularly descend over 700m vertical sometimes over 1000m both on and off road and have never had a problem with either my normal or electric MTB.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Anyone tried discobrakes for rotas?

man1nvan

Aug 1, 2021
when the rotors get that hot it wont matter what pads you use as this also boils the brake fluid so you will need to bleed the brakes if they have gone soft.

since i changed to those rotors i have not had any problems with pad wear and use sintered ones.

you can also get finned brake pads.

get the hope ones if you can afford it but check a rotor that size will fit on the rear first as you will need a adaptor to fit to the caliper like on mine.

Thanks for the advice that is what i will do then!

man1nvan

Aug 1, 2021
Don't know what you guys are doing with your brakes. Living in the Alps I regularly descend over 700m vertical sometimes over 1000m both on and off road and have never had a problem with either my normal or electric MTB.
i was a bit surprised tbh but at around 15mph half way down a 3/4 mile steep hill the rears were smoking and the front disc thoroughly blued the discs are around 140mm and were standard stock on an old Giant roam electric bike which i have fitted a bafang mid drive to. the bike has been in a shed for a few years now so maybe the discs/pads needed replacing anyway. So i will fit some larger Hope rotors once i have worked out which bracket to use and use some sintered pads. fingers crossed

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I use these:

I use Shimano, koolstop, jagwire (easily available) or these:

I clean my disks with isopropyl alcohol, , learn how to burp and bleed your disk brakes (YouTube has plenty of videos).

This article givees some disk brake reviews.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
First thing I did was upgrade the brakes, rear is 200+ mm and front is 220mm iirc.

Never had a problem!.

20190226_134342.jpg

20210831_085816.jpg

man1nvan

Aug 1, 2021
First thing I did was upgrade the brakes, rear is 200+ mm and front is 220mm iirc.

Never had a problem!.
that top disc is exactly the type i cooked so am waiting on delivery of the new disc and bits, what model is the bracket you used to move the caliper out?