Electric scooters made road legal UK

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
New Facebook group with a few guys putting their e scooters through the MSVA test. Apparently you can do the retest on a zoom call if the fails are minor. First one goes back on Tuesday, too small a radius on front mudguard, indicators wired up incorrectly, side stand does not retract and side lights visible from rear. A group member asked if a seat was compulsory. They think not but will confirm with tester.
IMG-20210904-WA0001.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Scorpio and flecc

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Thanks for the info, good to know there are options to move these from being illegal to use in public.
I still think anything this small and restricted on a public road is an accident waitng to happen - hope I'm wrong.

So after a MVSA test is this classed as a motorcycle? Will it need number plate, insurance, annual MOT / MVSA check. I'd hope tax - if needed - is zero cost but who knows.

A full sized numberplate in a compact scooter won't be easy to do as it will be wider than the scooter :oops:

DVLA website says the MVSA test costs at least £55 and takes about an hour. How can it take an hour to check somthing this small and write a certificate?? https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-inspection-fees/vehicle-test-costs-motorcycles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So after a MVSA test is this classed as a motorcycle? Will it need number plate, insurance, annual MOT / MVSA check. I'd hope tax - if needed - is zero cost but who knows.
As long as the maximum powered speed is 15.5 mph or less, it will fall into the L1e-A class, Low Powered Moped. That's most commonly occupied by e-bikes up to 1000 watts.

It's yes to everything else you've listed, tax free, plus a minimum of a Group Q driving licence:

Category Q

You can drive 2-wheeled and 3-wheeled vehicles without pedals with:
  • an engine size not more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine
  • a maximum design speed of no more than 25km/h (15.5mph)
This category also includes trial e-scooters.

• Informative
Reactions: Scorpio

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
These scooters have been booked in as 2 wheeled vehicle L1 E, 28 mph, 4kw. The MSVA does not test the speed and power, the tester just looks for a sticker on the motor. You can see the number plate holder which is part of the test in the pic I posted of the test centre.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These scooters have been booked in as 2 wheeled vehicle L1 E, 28 mph, 4kw. The MSVA does not test the speed and power, the tester just looks for a sticker on the motor. You can see the number plate holder which is part of the test in the pic I posted of the test centre.
Even better if they can get that L1e-B approval. However it's a big IF:

L1e-B Obligatory items for type approval:
--------------------------------------------------
Head and tail lights conforming to regulations
Stop Light
White Number plate area light
Horn or loud bell
R/H Rear view mirror
Centre or prop stand, stable.
Speedometer.

I don't see scooters having those.

L1e-B also means the Q licence I mentioned won't be sufficient. Category AM will be the minimum.

There may also be a question on those without a seat.

• Informative

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
Even better if they can get that L1e-B approval. However it's a big IF:

L1e-B Obligatory items for type approval:
--------------------------------------------------
Head and tail lights conforming to regulations
Stop Light
White Number plate area light
Horn or loud bell
R/H Rear view mirror
Centre or prop stand, stable.
Speedometer.

I don't see scooters having those.

L1e-B also means the Q licence I mentioned won't be sufficient. Category AM will be the minimum.

There may also be a question on those without a seat.
If you read my first post and looked at the picture you would of seen the scooter has all you have mentioned and is going back for a retest on tuesday . I listed the things it failed on the guy has rectified these issues . Yes not many e scooters come with the things you mention, you fit them yourself. Bit like an MOT if your car fails you fix the problems

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Scorpio and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you read my first post and looked at the picture you would of seen the scooter has all you have mentioned and is going back for a retest on tuesday . I listed the things it failed on the guy has rectified these issues . Yes not many e scooters come with the things you mention, you fit them yourself. Bit like an MOT if your car fails you fix the problems
Agreed, I was referring to scooters in general for those who might want to attempt this. It's not easy.

Given that many scooters are only 15 mph ones the option of L1e-A approval for them is much easier with far less stringent requirements. That could be useful if the government doesn't approve privately owned unregistered ones following the trial.

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham
New Facebook group with a few guys putting their e scooters through the MSVA test. Apparently you can do the retest on a zoom call if the fails are minor. First one goes back on Tuesday, too small a radius on front mudguard, indicators wired up incorrectly, side stand does not retract and side lights visible from rear. A group member asked if a seat was compulsory. They think not but will confirm with tester.
View attachment 43830
Do you have a link to the group?

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
The question about does a scooter need a seat could not be answered by the tester. And the reply from Michael jones BEng( Hons) DVSA vehicle approvals technical team was a bit vague. No specific requirement per se. Section 25 seat belts and anchorages only relivent to 3/4 wheels. I would suggest your followers refer to the MSVA manual.
I suppose because there is no mention in the manual no seat would be a pass. After all just like the mot its down to the testers discretion on the day. Seat removed in this pic to make room in the owners shed.
The aftermath of the latest ileagal scooter crash can be seen on the Charles Veitch channel "Maybe they shouldn't do 50 mph on pavements"

Attachments

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Not sure about the accusatory title - where's the evidence it was doing 50mph?
It seems unlikely you can screw 50mph out of such a small vehicle / small volume unless it's a very expensive 'special'.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I saw a guy topple over riding one of those deathtraps (standing, no helmet). He was on the opposite side of the road, and he simply toppled over - there wasn't anything I could see which might have caused this to happen. I zoomed into the video of my helmet cam afterwards, and nothing was obvious. He fell sideways onto his shoulder and slid along the ground. I stopped ebiking, and asked if he was alright. He go up and shouted something, which I had to amplify from the footage later: "It's a show mate!", was what he said. He seemed in one piece, not bleeding. I gave him a thumbs up and ebiked on, shaking my head in disbelief.

I spotted another one sitting in his scooter deathtrap, zooming in between traffic, passing moving cars on their right. It was madness! He looked to be doing about 25mph, and using it like a motorbike. No helmet, crouched low in his tiny seat, hands held high on the handles, dressed all in black on his black scooter. He's probably an organ donor by now.

I saw a small flock of them ridden by teenagers, making it's way down a quiet road in the twilight. At least they had headlights - teeny tiny little lights...

I see these things all over the place. Do the Police actually stop them, asking for documentation?

Last edited:

UnclePuncher

Pedelecer
May 26, 2021
Nottingham
I saw a guy topple over riding one of those deathtraps (standing, no helmet). He was on the opposite side of the road, and he simply toppled over - there wasn't anything I could see which might have caused this to happen. I zoomed into the video of my helmet cam afterwards, and nothing was obvious. He fell sideways onto his shoulder and slid along the ground. I stopped ebiking, and asked if he was alright. He go up and shouted something, which I had to amplify from the footage later: "It's a show mate!", was what he said. He seemed in one piece, not bleeding. I gave him a thumbs up and ebiked on, shaking my head in disbelief.

I spotted another one sitting in his scooter deathtrap, zooming in between traffic, passing moving cars on their right. It was madness! He looked to be doing about 25mph, and using it like a motorbike. No helmet, crouched low in his tiny seat, hands held high on the handles, dressed all in black on his black scooter. He's probably an organ donor by now.

I saw a small flock of them ridden by teenagers, making it's way down a quiet road in the twilight. At least they had headlights - teeny tiny little lights...

I see these things are all over the place. Do the Police actually stop them, asking for documentation?
They do. Follow some police accounts on twitter to see evidence. Unfortunately they're underfunded (thanks gov) so only so much they can do.

Reactions: guerney