Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A couple of amusing notes on the notion of "Global Britain"

The big question, who didn't we invade?
Even better

Top that eh?
What are we proposing to do for "Global Britain mark 2"?
Invade those who missed the chance of an "Independence day last time"?:cool:

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A couple of amusing notes on the notion of "Global Britain"

The big question, who didn't we invade?
Even better

Top that eh?
What are we proposing to do for "Global Britain mark 2"?
Invade those who missed the chance of an "Independence day last time"?:cool:
The very word "global"invites thoughts meandering towards spherical objects. Which seems about right.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Boris slaps 1.5% on NI. Get in, my pension payouts are safe :D

The sad thing is, no extra money is needed to solve the health care crisis. Efficiency & competence is all that is needed. Johnson just needs to put Dildo Herding in charge and the mess will be complete.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
1.25% (* 2 as that is on employee and employer contributions - so 2.5% total)
Although taxing the economically active (individuals or companies) in the teeth of a pandemic while (predictably) leaving the inactive (entitled pensioners sitting on too much brick and mortar, property portfolios, myself in part included) and massive tax havens alone seem the most retrograde thing I've yet seen from this government.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A very modest screw-up by Johnson standards. Sorry, did I write "standards" in relation to Johnson? But attitude is typical - ignore warnings and spend regardless.

Audit office blames UK government for botched £1.5bn green homes scheme
Spending watchdog says home insulation drive was fatally rushed and missed chance to cut heating bills and create jobs

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/08/audit-office-blames-uk-government-for-botched-15bn-green-homes-scheme

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/green-homes-grant/

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Boris slaps 1.5% on NI. Get in, my pension payouts are safe
That's effectively 2.5% on the total wage budgets of companies because most will be forced to make it up for their employees in pay rise to keep their take home pay to the same level.
The raise in national insurance contributions won't produce more than £6 billions a year.
BJ has still to spell out how much he'll raise tax on dividends and CGT.
It should be at least by a similar amount (2%?). I reckon Sunak will have to raid your pension eventually.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As someone who already takes regular B12, I have just seen this:

Drug repurposing based on a Quantum-Inspired method versus classical fingerprinting uncovers potential antivirals against SARS-CoV-2 including vitamin B12

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34401881/
Vitamin D may work as well.
I take routinely one multi-vitamin tablet a day.

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Vitamin D may work as well.
I take routinely one multi-vitamin tablet a day.
With vitamin D it is very difficult to separate out the impact of adequate levels per se from any possible impact of additional dosing.

There is also the severe problem that some people get very unpleasant symptoms from any vitamin D supplementation. Because this is ignored - almost universally - I fully expect any research to miss this entirely (it does seem quite rare).

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
As someone who already takes regular B12, I have just seen this:

Drug repurposing based on a Quantum-Inspired method versus classical fingerprinting uncovers potential antivirals against SARS-CoV-2 including vitamin B12

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34401881/
Oyster... This is of personal interest to me. My father was a practicing GP for many decades, . He discovered ..I don't know when or how, but that B12 cured shingles . I can attest to this I got a rather painful dose of shingles ..chest to groin in the mid 1970s , . His cure was 4 or 6 shots of Welcome Labs B12 injected at 6 hour intervals over about 2 days..and it certainly worked. Sores drying up on the next day.
Welcome Labs did support him with some literature and ampoules on the understanding that he wiuld submit papers,. However nobody in those days would take anti virals seriously, and he was , as a busy District Medical Officer and Private practice eventually worn down and gave it up. He had a strong belief in B12 ,as a treatment for and as a lad, I often remember collecting the boxes from the local chemists. So he was using it in the 1960s..

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Oyster... This is of personal interest to me. My father was a practicing GP for many decades, . He discovered ..I don't know when or how, but that B12 cured shingles . I can attest to this I got a rather painful dose of shingles ..chest to groin in the mid 1970s , . His cure was 4 or 6 shots of Welcome Labs B12 injected at 6 hour intervals over about 2 days..and it certainly worked. Sores drying up on the next day.
Welcome Labs did support him with some literature and ampoules on the understanding that he wiuld submit papers,. However nobody in those days would take anti virals seriously, and he was , as a busy District Medical Officer and Private practice eventually worn down and gave it up. He had a strong belief in B12 ,as a treatment for and as a lad, I often remember collecting the boxes from the local chemists. So he was using it in the 1960s..
I bunged in an obvious search and found a fascinating array of papers/case studies/etc. about B12 and various viral diseases.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=b12 shingles&sort=date

Topics include post-herpetic neuralgia, AIDS, herpes zoster, and others.

I take B12 because it helps with what I think is a nerve damage issue. If I try to ignore it for a few weeks/months, I end up getting a painful left jaw. Take it again, and in a few days it is back to my normal. Have repeated that cycle many times as I keep thinking it can't be true.

Very recently, I thought I had found it not working. Then switched (from some relatively old cyanocobalamin to a new pot of hydroxocobalamin) and it worked again. Not sure if the old ones had deteriorated or the hydroxocobalamin form is effective but cyanocobalamin isn't.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Although taxing the economically active (individuals or companies) in the teeth of a pandemic while (predictably) leaving the inactive (entitled pensioners sitting on too much brick and mortar, property portfolios, myself in part included) and massive tax havens alone seem the most retrograde thing I've yet seen from this government.
I don't know why tax or NI has to go up to fund the NHS. Where's the £350m a week we were told about on the side of that bus?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Starmer got it wrong. :(
Starmer replied: “It was a yes/no question. You either clear the backlog or you don’t. And he can’t even say that he’ll do that. There we have it. Working people will pay higher tax. Those in need will still lose their homes to pay for care, and he can’t even say if the NHS backlog will be cleared. He gesticulates, but they are all breaking manifesto promises and putting up taxes on their working constituents.”
Johnson doesn't so much gesticulate as testiculate. :)

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Advertisers