E-bike recommendations for Long Covid/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome sufferer

Pea92

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2021
Hello! I’ve recently been diagnosed with post-viral or chronic fatigue syndrome, which means I’m basically always fatigued and any exertion (even 20 mins of walking, for example) can totally wipe me out. As I’m gradually improving I’d like to get out and about more and increase my mobility, so am looking into buying an e-bike. Ideally I wouldn’t have to exert myself much at all using the bike, but I know nothing at all about bikes and would appreciate any advice.

I’m 29 years old, female, weigh about 45kg and am 5’1” (quite petite, basically).

Thanks!

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Ebikes are mostly very heavy, so you may need help with transport. A folder would be a good idea because if you get stuck anywhere through health issues, you can be rescued by anyone with a car.
A large powered battery is also recommended, you can choose to use power assist for longer distance, but in your case you may need to choose maximum power assist but that will cut your range dramatically which shouldn’t bother you. Buy local for professional advice on hand when needed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will need a hub bike or a bike with cadence sensing and a throttle, a TS /torque sensing type drive whether center drive or hub drive will require good rider input to multiply the power provided. A cadence type system means you simply lightly turn the pedals and can practically ghost pedal if you have no stamina or power, in level 5 you would get max power, it will depend on the controller type used whether speed control or current control. For your use it likely won't matter but current control is the better system.
Avoid Halfords if I were you and look at Wisper /Juicy brands or Woosh.
Ideally you want a bike with 5 levels of assist and a throttle, Wisper is the one for that as they will legally get the bike certificated so you can have and use a throttle or twist and go. Otherwise you are relegated to a mobility scooter.

A step through bike fixed or a folder will be best and a 575wh or a large capacity 700wh battery as full power will mean less range.

Wisper 806 Folding Electric Bike | Folding eBikes | Wisper | UK Delivery (wisperbikes.com)

Wisper 705 24" Step-Through eBike - Wisper Bikes

Last edited:
Reactions: artspeck

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If wanting the throttle option (highly likely) then speak with David or the Wisper team, the certification adds a little more to the bike cost but means you are 100% legal and don't need (unless you wish to ) have 3rd party insurance, use helmet or have to have it tested annually. With certification plod can't seize or try and fine you for contravening pedelec law and the bike doesn't need registering with a number plate as it will be in the low power 250w class.

As far as I know no other manufacturer offers this throttle certifying so would save you the hassle of doing so whilst being 100% legal, as it sounds you will be using the throttle quite a lot.

Expect the bike to be 22 - 25kg with the battery fitted, 3 - 4 kg less without the battery fitted.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If wanting the throttle option (highly likely) then speak with David or the Wisper team, the certification adds a little more to the bike cost but means you are 100% legal and don't need (unless you wish to ) have 3rd party insurance, use helmet or have to have it tested annually. With certification plod can't seize or try and fine you for contravening pedelec law and the bike doesn't need registering with a number plate as it will be in the low power 250w class.

As far as I know no other manufacturer offers this throttle certifying so would save you the hassle of doing so whilst being 100% legal, as it sounds you will be using the throttle quite a lot.

Expect the bike to be 22 - 25kg with the battery fitted, 3 - 4 kg less without the battery fitted.
She doesn't need all that, Neal. She only weighs 45 kg. Any bike will have enough power and range. The only really important characteristic is the size. There are a few bikes specially for small people that have 24" wheels instead of the normal 26" ones.

Juicy do this one, which has all the standard electrics, so should last a lifetime.
Woosh used to sell a small bike, but I think it's been replaced by a larger one now - shame!

Unless you need to travel a very long way (40 miles plus) get the smallest (lightest) battery option to save weight.

Another option is to choose one of the folding bikes with 20" wheels. They tend to be smaller than ones with big wheels.

How much do you want to spend? Electric bikes atart at about £400 for an adequate bike. £1000 should get you something quite reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: belfastbiker

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The the lass sound s like she will need a throttle and probably use it quite a lot, the wisper option would be a belt and braces legal option for a twist and go. The 806 is for short peeps.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I know three people with M.E. and from the looks of things, it's pretty debilitating: brain fog as well as a complete and sudden loss of energy... therefore a throttle (legal or not) might be absolutely necessary, depending on how bad the OP's illness is.

Reactions: belfastbiker

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Woosh used to sell a small bike, but I think it's been replaced by a larger one now - shame!
What was that called? Maybe the OP could look for one on ebay or somewhere.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Petite, a smaller step through bike with 24" wheels.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?petite

Since Covid, getting bikes from China is like playing lottery.
You never know when they ship. So we have to concentrate on a few new models. I can't say when we will be making them again.
Do take a look at the Rambletta with rigid fork. It suits smaller riders.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Woosh Petite, a smaller step through bike with 24" wheels.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?petite

Since Covid, getting bikes from China is like playing lottery.
You never know when they ship. So we have to concentrate on a few new models. I can't say when we will be making them again.
Do take a look at the Rambletta with rigid fork. It suits smaller riders.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta

By how much have freight costs increased? I know that some materials in the building trade are about 40% more expensive.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: artspeck

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
By how much have freight costs increased? I know that some materials in the building trade are about 40% more expensive.
20ft container: $9,000 now, was $1,100 before covid
40ft container: $17,500 now, was $1,800 before covid.
Samsung put their prices up 16%.
The RMB exchange rate went up 7%.
Port charges went up 100%, battery shipping rules now requires UN38.3 certified individual cartons so I can't mix wheels with batteries, they have to go into separate containers.
At every step, someone will invent an extra charge, even charge for delivery of container attracts £100 per container for 'driver scarcity surcharge'.
the world has gone mad. I would have like the world to go back to the time before covid.

Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why not get jimmy to make all of your battery packs all he would need was the cases to put them in.

then you could offer way more options and price points for different cells capacity ect.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
why not get jimmy to make all of your battery packs all he would need was the cases to put them in.

then you could offer way more options and price points for different cells capacity ect.
I don't think Jimmy can source more Samsung cells than I can.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
but you dont build the batts do you? and get shipped complete units it must be cheaper to get a box of 100 cells than complete batts shipped from china.

and why not use 21700 cells what sort of price can you get 10000 of those for?

i can still buy transformers from china and get free postage,air mail and no import or duty fees either.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
but you dont build the batts do you? and get shipped complete units it must be cheaper to get a box of 100 cells than complete batts shipped from china.
there are shortages on every steep along the way when you try to do anything at any significant scale. Cases, BMS, cells, factory time, etc. absolutely everything, you name it, it is on short supply.
Like for bikes, the simple V brakes made in China is on 6 month lead time.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
20ft container: $9,000 now, was $1,100 before covid
40ft container: $17,500 now, was $1,800 before covid.
Samsung put their prices up 16%.
The RMB exchange rate went up 7%.
Port charges went up 100%, battery shipping rules now requires UN38.3 certified individual cartons so I can't mix wheels with batteries, they have to go into separate containers.
At every step, someone will invent an extra charge, even charge for delivery of container attracts £100 per container for 'driver scarcity surcharge'.
the world has gone mad. I would have like the world to go back to the time before covid.

That looks like a horror story - are you going to raise your prices? I suppose it depends on what the competition is doing... athough looking at all those increased costs you may have to?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
All you need to do is take apart some of your ebikes for parts and make a machine to enable you to travel to another part of the multiverse:

...where Covid didn't happen, destroy the Woosh in that universe, dispose of the body and live his life. I'd do it too, but I don't have enough ebike parts.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the most 21700s i can get in one hit is 10 for £35 lol as these things are now going in to every new car i can see a shortage of every type for a long time to come. i got some Panasonic 3400mah cells years ago and it was 2 for 10 quid and a free torch its now 20 quid for 2! and no torch and have to pay postage as for the 3600mah ones ive never found them for sale anywhere :rolleyes:

i cant see how you can keep going at this rate tbh ppl not going to be happy if there bike is off the road for 6 months as no parts to fix them wont go down well.

i can see those new bosch 750w power tube batts going for £1200+vat if you want a spare one :eek:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
All you need to do is take apart some of your ebikes for parts and make a machine to enable you to travel to another part of the multiverse:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

...where Covid didn't happen, destroy the Woosh in that universe, dispose of the body and live his life. I'd do it too, but I don't have enough ebike parts.
:D:D:D
That looks like a horror story - are you going to raise your prices? I suppose it depends on what the competition is doing... athough looking at all those increased costs you may have to?
I raised our bike prices by £80 earlier this year on account of container price. On component costs, I paid for the stuff arriving now 6-7 months ago on news that Samsung, Bafang, Tektro etc were going to put up their prices.