Help! Ebike kit I can carry in airports and charge my Macbook

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Of all the kits I have had BBS01 and various hubs front and rear because of the light weight and small mass, it is by far the easiest to ride over and above the 25km/h cut off and with none of the treacle ( dead weight mass) associated with other drives.
That does sound good, why not get one of those @cwah?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Price maybe. The Revos is UK designed and made.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Price maybe. The Revos is UK designed and made.
Yes, that is eye-watering in comparison... Saying British craftmanship is more expensive doesn't seem to apply to furniture makers, it surprised me to disover - I know a local firm who source cheap parts from all over the world, and weirdly the UK supply is sometimes just as cheap or cheaper than say Romania or Poland. But that's furniture...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I recall seeing the Revos people on Dragon's Den a while ago, and they rejected a suggestion from Peter Jones to source cheaper parts from Asia. They "Left with nothing".

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Voltage isn't everything then. Maybe the OP will be fine with his initial choice of kit?
Voltage is increased to reduce resistance. A low power kit can afford a much lower voltage.

Whether the kit is 24v, 36v or 48v, all that matter is the wattage output. So usually I see this more as an incompatibility problem than anything else

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
That does sound good, why not get one of those @cwah?

I wouldn't mind buying from them. A bit annoying that I'm not in the UK anymore (i m in paris now) so I'd have to pay customs........ :/

I'd need to ask about the total weight of the kit excluding battery. It looks to be heavier than the qiroll... the quiroll motor is a wapping 520g!

Also, they have 200wh battery. I know for sure this won't pass the airport. With the qiroll battery at 125wh, I still have some hope they will let me pass.

But I'll send them an email and see if they have any suggestion for my travelling situation. Maybe I can get lucky we never know!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Looking at revolutionwork, the system looks a bit more bulky than qiroll. I expect it to be heavier although I don't know by how much...

Also, it looks like I wouldn't be able to use my own batteries from their FAQs...
"Can I use other battery packs with Revos other than the one's that you supply?
Sorry no. The batteries are matched to the motor controller and the Revos won’t work with another battery and may even be damaged by it. Our batteries are excellent value for money and you can obtain another battery from us on its own if you want to"

I still sent them a message... will see what they say

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Maybe you could post the battery to yourself (virtual office or mailbox service in the next country) before you move, or ask someone to post the battery to your new address once you've moved? Bypass the airport confiscation risk. Get the postage insured etc.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I can certainly see the appeal, small and light... just wish it was 36V or more. Mind you, at a higher voltage they'd likely need heavier batteries, which somewhat reduces it's small and light appeal. Well, I hope it works out... hope you'll report back when you've tried it out.
Cwah isn't a big guy. As far as ebikes are concerned, he doesn't need as much power as most of us.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and guerney

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Maybe you could post the battery to yourself (virtual office or mailbox service in the next country) before you move, or ask someone to post the battery to your new address once you've moved? Bypass the airport confiscation risk. Get the postage insured etc.
Shipping battery is expensive and i may be hit by customs too. Not to mention the packaging requirement to keep the pack safe.

My view is rather to keep a low cost battery (under £100) with me and buy a new pack if it gets confiscated

Soliour

Just Joined
Jan 16, 2021
Also, they have 200wh battery. I know for sure this won't pass the airport. With the qiroll battery at 125wh, I still have some hope they will let me pass.
Revos previously did a 100Wh battery. They don't offer it currently on their website but worth asking if they can still supply them.