Brexit Rant...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The ridiculous charades of checking sausages and having veterinary certificates to bring a pie from Scotland to Northern Ireland are a punitive move by the EU to punish the UK for leaving their clapped out cr@pfest.
Vice-versa, EU sausages are subject to the same veterinary controls when imported into UK.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
That's true, but will we do such a thing? We need to trade with the EU, they are our biggest market. Since the first of January this year, I can't send bikes to France, Spain, Portugal, ROI, kits to a lot more countries. It does not matter much until now because I am short of bikes but looking for the future, I'll be forced to have some alternative shop in the EU.
I'm a lot more concerned about who makes UK law and whether we can vote them out than I am about that misfortune. Also, note who has imposed that on you. It was not the UK Parliament. It was the EU. Petty, Vindictive and soon to be broke.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Spot on. Hence why the Irish Sea border is required.

You've got to put it somewhere, and a border in the sea is much safer than a land border. Also a land border would bust the ideals around the Belfast Agreement (and which I erroneously named the Northern Ireland Agreement. Keep up everyone. :rolleyes:)
It is you that needs to 'keep up'. See my other posts.

No decent citizen of the UK would advocate what you just did - the acceptance of impositions on movement of goods within the UK imposed by a hostile foreign power. You should make anew name like Lord Haw Haw and use that.

• Dislike
Reactions: richtea99

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Well it has never been the UK that wanted to interfere with trade between the UK and the EU.
You cannot magically wave a wand and say 'Let us exit the overall system, but leave trade rules the same.'.
You can't have your cake and eat it, i.e. you can't separate autonomy from trade.

All trade deals (EU or otherwise) mean certain decision/policy-making freedoms are given up, in order to gain a business advantage over the rest of the world.

Smart Brexiteers understood this and voted for it (and that may well be you), but I think many more Brexit voters didn't - they were misled. It was a far more nuanced outcome than the Leave campaign painted it, as we're now witnessing.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No they are not. We have not invoked those powers.
we have the power but our government chooses to wave the EU trucks straight through to avoid delay. The EU offers a veterinary deal so these controls can be removed both ways. Our government chooses not to go down that route. Our argument is that would restrict our ability to do deals with other countries that have lower veterinary standards than EU's.

Reactions: richtea99

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
It is you that needs to 'keep up'. See my other posts.

No decent citizen of the UK would advocate what you just did - the acceptance of impositions on movement of goods within the UK imposed by a hostile foreign power. You should make anew name like Lord Haw Haw and use that.
Ha! No need to drop war references in, or we'll have satisfied Godwin's law before the 3rd page of comments, for goodness sake!

• :D
Reactions: TobyAnscombe

innate

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 7, 2020
BREXIT was a decision made by the majority of the British People in the biggest democratic vote we ever held. Spend your money here and support our own domestic businesses.
More people voted in the 1992 General Election than voted in the 2016 Referendum. That some voted in the referendum after a lifetime of never voting in a General Election is its own sad story.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat20 and flecc

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
You cannot magically wave a wand and say 'Let us exit the overall system, but leave trade rules the same.'.
You can't have your cake and eat it, i.e. you can't separate autonomy from trade.
But we're BRITISH, so those rules shouldn't apply

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wish it had stopped at a "Common Market"

...but now it's a EU Army.
it was Margaret Thatcher who pushed the EEC to enlarge.