E-bike recommendations for Long Covid/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome sufferer

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
On component costs, I paid for the stuff arriving now 6-7 months ago on news that Samsung, Bafang, Tektro etc were going to put up their prices.
Neat! Allows you the option of raising prices, depending on how many manufacturers didn't pre-emptively buy cells as you did, who might now be compelled to raise their prices - a win whether you raise prices or not. If you keep your prices low while others raise theirs, you could get a glut of pre-orders and the resulting volume buying leverage? Sounds exhausting, glad I'm not in the ebike buisiness. I'll try to swap universes instead, just need a few more crank arms...

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
£7k with delivery via China to fill up with ebikes. Cheap at half the price.
to fill that up with jet fuel will cost 200k so if you sold 450 seats at 50 quid you would make 25k over 6000 miles range that would give you.

its 4831 miles to china so you might make it there with no load and back fully loaded with a top up.

but they want 51 million bucks for it and doubt they will fill that up for free lol

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Hello! I’ve recently been diagnosed with post-viral or chronic fatigue syndrome, which means I’m basically always fatigued and any exertion (even 20 mins of walking, for example) can totally wipe me out. As I’m gradually improving I’d like to get out and about more and increase my mobility, so am looking into buying an e-bike. Ideally I wouldn’t have to exert myself much at all using the bike, but I know nothing at all about bikes and would appreciate any advice.

I’m 29 years old, female, weigh about 45kg and am 5’1” (quite petite, basically).

Thanks!
Hope that you get yourself a suitable eBike. I too, got Long Covid last year which wiped me out from the April to the November, mainly with fatigue and I’m fair bit older in my early sixties. I re-started cycling again in February this year as part of a conscious effort to improve my health and fitness.

I started a low carb diet and used the ebike on relatively short journeys , about two miles using the highest assist level. I must admit that I was puffed initially, but this improved as a cycled more and the diet started to work. Now some six months or so later, I have lost 31kg, (4st
12lb). The cycling does get easier the more you do and I can now do 30 miles without feeling knackered and using much lower power assist levels.

I can only say from my point of view that my fatigue did improve and I eventually got my full energy back, hopefully this will happen for you too. In the meantime, take care and stay safe.

Reactions: Pea92

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
It totally depends your budget, and the vast majority of the cheaper bikes while cheaper are unfortunately quite heavy. A 23kg = 50lbs in old money. 23kg is actually good for an ebike, many of the cheaper models are weighing in at 27kg or even near 30kg. 30kg is 66lbs thats incredibly heavy.
Another thing is they're limited in sizes, trying to accommodate riders from 5'5" to 6'5" and there are specifications in the size, top tube reach, frame size, leg length that arent really proportional for someone your height.
Next is the level of spec, and unfortunately the cheaper the bike the lesser the quality of the parts that make the bike go, and stop, and its mostly these parts that fail sometimes in under a year, meaning the maintenance is expensive and that I fear puts people off.

My suggestion, would be a lightweight road Ebike. The battery is considerably smaller and therefore lighter, and while that affects the range, i suspect with your condition you are not looking to ride from John O'Groats to Land's End, rather just happy to get out and about on shorter journey's, some fresh air and light exercise.
So I would think something like a Ribble(A well known and respected road bike manufacturer) and their Ribble Endurance SL It comes in 5 frame sizes.Starting at XS, whereas the cheaper ebike come in usually 3 or sometimes 1 size only.
This is probably one of the most important aspects of getting the right fit. Teh smaller frame is built in proportion for the smaller person, the reach is less, the leg length is less, its not trying to fit everyone, just the size of the person the frame size is suitable for.
Many of the bikes you can see look like 1/2 a mile from saddle to bars. Do you have extraordinary long arms ?, i guess not. So it is best not to buy something thats trying to suit someone with your reach, as well as some strapping gent with hugely long arms. Many of these 'one size fits all' look like they were designed around something like an orangutan.

The level of componentry is of fair to good quality, and certainly of good enough quality not to suffer from premature failure.
It is based around a carbon fiber frame, carbon fiber forks, Shimano 105 groupset(thats the bits like the gear shifters, 2x11 speed derailleurs, including shimano 105 hydraulic brakes,Mavic Ksyrium S Disc wheelset, (I know you said you knew nothing about bikes, but I list these spec's so you can at least research them for yourself)
It is not very very cheap, but at £2999 its not bad for a bike of this weight and with quality components.
The bike weighs 12kg or 27lbs, which is less than half the weight of many of the cheaper bikes.
Whats more it doesnt automatically strike you as actually being an ebike, so its a good looking thing.
It even comes in a range of colours
Link to model -

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It totally depends your budget, and the vast majority of the cheaper bikes while cheaper are unfortunately quite heavy. A 23kg = 50lbs in old money. 23kg is actually good for an ebike, many of the cheaper models are weighing in at 27kg or even near 30kg. 30kg is 66lbs thats incredibly heavy.
Another thing is they're limited in sizes, trying to accommodate riders from 5'5" to 6'5" and there are specifications in the size, top tube reach, frame size, leg length that arent really proportional for someone your height.
Next is the level of spec, and unfortunately the cheaper the bike the lesser the quality of the parts that make the bike go, and stop, and its mostly these parts that fail sometimes in under a year, meaning the maintenance is expensive and that I fear puts people off.

My suggestion, would be a lightweight road Ebike. The battery is considerably smaller and therefore lighter, and while that affects the range, i suspect with your condition you are not looking to ride from John O'Groats to Land's End, rather just happy to get out and about on shorter journey's, some fresh air and light exercise.
So I would think something like a Ribble(A well known and respected road bike manufacturer) and their Ribble Endurance SL It comes in 5 frame sizes.Starting at XS, whereas the cheaper ebike come in usually 3 or sometimes 1 size only.
This is probably one of the most important aspects of getting the right fit. Teh smaller frame is built in proportion for the smaller person, the reach is less, the leg length is less, its not trying to fit everyone, just the size of the person the frame size is suitable for.
Many of the bikes you can see look like 1/2 a mile from saddle to bars. Do you have extraordinary long arms ?, i guess not. So it is best not to buy something thats trying to suit someone with your reach, as well as some strapping gent with hugely long arms. Many of these 'one size fits all' look like they were designed around something like an orangutan.

The level of componentry is of fair to good quality, and certainly of good enough quality not to suffer from premature failure.
It is based around a carbon fiber frame, carbon fiber forks, Shimano 105 groupset(thats the bits like the gear shifters, 2x11 speed derailleurs, including shimano 105 hydraulic brakes,Mavic Ksyrium S Disc wheelset, (I know you said you knew nothing about bikes, but I list these spec's so you can at least research them for yourself)
It is not very very cheap, but at £2999 its not bad for a bike of this weight and with quality components.
The bike weighs 12kg or 27lbs, which is less than half the weight of many of the cheaper bikes.
Whats more it doesnt automatically strike you as actually being an ebike, so its a good looking thing.
Link to model -
She's 5' 1", the size guide for the SL says min is 5' 3" (???)

X-Small
5' 3" - 5' 5"
160cm - 165cm

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
She's 5' 1", the size guide for the SL says min is 5' 3" (???)

X-Small
5' 3" - 5' 5"
160cm - 165cm

Overall the ribble frame is geared towards someone between 5'3" and 5'5", thats pretty close and tight, not 5'2" to a 6' giant. It's not a one size fits all baseball cap.

They also do a step through, the ribble-urban-e apex which is set at 5'0"-5'6" though not as high a spec.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm not recommending anyone buy Bosch, but Terns, Dahons and folders seem to accommodate smaller riders better - for example this Tern quotes a min height of 4’11”:

Best try a few out, before you buy?

Last edited:

Pea92

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2021
Hi all - thanks so much for all the helpful advice. I’ve been making my way through the recommendations and posts and will keep considering. I think a throttle option would be good for me at the moment so will look into that and definitely try to test ride a few bikes before buying!

Reactions: belfastbiker

Pea92

Sep 16, 2021
Hope that you get yourself a suitable eBike. I too, got Long Covid last year which wiped me out from the April to the November, mainly with fatigue and I’m fair bit older in my early sixties. I re-started cycling again in February this year as part of a conscious effort to improve my health and fitness.

I started a low carb diet and used the ebike on relatively short journeys , about two miles using the highest assist level. I must admit that I was puffed initially, but this improved as a cycled more and the diet started to work. Now some six months or so later, I have lost 31kg, (4st
12lb). The cycling does get easier the more you do and I can now do 30 miles without feeling knackered and using much lower power assist levels.

I can only say from my point of view that my fatigue did improve and I eventually got my full energy back, hopefully this will happen for you too. In the meantime, take care and stay safe.
Really glad to hear you returned to full health! Fingers crossed I do too.

Pea92

Sep 16, 2021

Link to model -
Looks great, quite a bit over my budget though which is under £1500.

Reactions: belfastbiker

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Really glad to hear you returned to full health! Fingers crossed I do too.
My wife has the Wisper 705 bike and she’s 5’2” and petite. We also looked at the Wisper 806 and both bikes were suitable for her.

A good point about the throttle with Wisper and worth considering and both these bikes are around your price range.

Pea92

Sep 16, 2021
Hi all. Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread but thanks again for all the helpful advice.

I decided to go with the throttle option, but when speaking to bike store managers etc it seems that everyone has a different interpretation on the law around throttles. My understanding was that it is legal to have a throttle as long as you are also peddling, up to 15.5 mph. But without peddling, you’d need to get a certification in order to ride it at 15.5 mph. My local Wisper bike dealer didn’t know anything about this and said his store doesn’t sell bikes with throttles as “it’s not legal” and he didn’t know anything about certification either. He also said they don’t allow test rides of ebikes any longer. This leaves me in a bit of a pickle! I’m assuming I can buy a bike directly from Wisper(?), but without the ability to test ride it first it feels a little risky…

Any ideas?

Pea92

Sep 16, 2021
If wanting the throttle option (highly likely) then speak with David or the Wisper team, the certification adds a little more to the bike cost but means you are 100% legal and don't need (unless you wish to ) have 3rd party insurance, use helmet or have to have it tested annually. With certification plod can't seize or try and fine you for contravening pedelec law and the bike doesn't need registering with a number plate as it will be in the low power 250w class.

As far as I know no other manufacturer offers this throttle certifying so would save you the hassle of doing so whilst being 100% legal, as it sounds you will be using the throttle quite a lot.

Expect the bike to be 22 - 25kg with the battery fitted, 3 - 4 kg less without the battery fitted.
Thanks Neal. Pasting my most recent post as a reply in case you know anything.

Hi all. Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread but thanks again for all the helpful advice.

I decided to go with the throttle option, but when speaking to bike store managers etc it seems that everyone has a different interpretation on the law around throttles. My understanding was that it is legal to have a throttle as long as you are also peddling, up to 15.5 mph. But without peddling, you’d need to get a certification in order to ride it at 15.5 mph. My local Wisper bike dealer didn’t know anything about this and said his store doesn’t sell bikes with throttles as “it’s not legal” and he didn’t know anything about certification either. He also said they don’t allow test rides of ebikes any longer. This leaves me in a bit of a pickle! I’m assuming I can buy a bike directly from Wisper(?), but without the ability to test ride it first it feels a little risky…

Any ideas?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Pea92,

A twist grip assistance regulator is legal and can assist you up to 15.5mph as long as you are pedaling. The way this works is almost exactly the same as any standard assistance regulator on any cadence sensor eBike. With a standard cadence sensor bike if you set the power level to max and simply turn the pedals the bike will proceed at 15.5mph if the conditions allow. The difference is that with a twist grip you can quickly and easily regulate assistance without changing the power setting using the buttons. The twist grip regulator overrides the assistance levels shown on the display. It is not a throttle.

It's the same with torque sensor bikes, if you turn off the torque sensor and use the cadence sensor alone, you will achieve the same effect.

By using the thumb controlled assistance regulator on our mid motor bikes you can achieve the same, you override the torque sensor and the bike works on cadence sensor only, giving you the same effect as in my first paragraph.

To ride at more than 15.5mph without pedaling, you do need to get the bike Type Approved in order to be legal.

You say "My local Wisper bike dealer didn’t know anything about this and said his store doesn’t sell bikes with throttles as “it’s not legal” and he didn’t know anything about certification either." Please would you let me know who this is and I will get one of the guys to call them and explain. We will also ask about demo rides.

If I can be of assistance please email me at david@wisperbikes.com

All the best, David

Pea92

Sep 16, 2021
Hi Pea92,

A twist grip assistance regulator is legal and can assist you up to 15.5mph as long as you are pedaling. The way this works is almost exactly the same as any standard assistance regulator on any cadence sensor eBike. With a standard cadence sensor bike if you set the power level to max and simply turn the pedals the bike will proceed at 15.5mph if the conditions allow. The difference is that with a twist grip you can quickly and easily regulate assistance without changing the power setting using the buttons. The twist grip regulator overrides the assistance levels shown on the display. It is not a throttle.

It's the same with torque sensor bikes, if you turn off the torque sensor and use the cadence sensor alone, you will achieve the same effect.

By using the thumb controlled assistance regulator on our mid motor bikes you can achieve the same, you override the torque sensor and the bike works on cadence sensor only, giving you the same effect as in my first paragraph.

To ride at more than 15.5mph without pedaling, you do need to get the bike Type Approved in order to be legal.

You say "My local Wisper bike dealer didn’t know anything about this and said his store doesn’t sell bikes with throttles as “it’s not legal” and he didn’t know anything about certification either." Please would you let me know who this is and I will get one of the guys to call them and explain. We will also ask about demo rides.

If I can be of assistance please email me at david@wisperbikes.com

All the best, David
Hi David,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I spoke to Cycle King Pinner. I don't know the name of the person I spoke to but it was the store manager. It would be incredibly helpful if you could explain. Howevery, he mentioned that his store had received an instruction not to allow any test rides of ebikes.

I didn't realise there was a difference between twist grip assistance and a throttle. That's really helpful.

Thanks,

Pea92

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sadly Pea, just a case of the LBS not knowing the law. David will get things sorted for you I'm sure.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I spoke to Cycle King Pinner. I don't know the name of the person I spoke to but it was the store manager. It would be incredibly helpful if you could explain. Howevery, he mentioned that his store had received an instruction not to allow any test rides of ebikes.

I didn't realise there was a difference between twist grip assistance and a throttle. That's really helpful.

Thanks,

Pea92
Thanks Pea92, I will get Jeremy to give them a call.

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH