Lithium vs. Lead Acid: Debunking the Top 3 Lithium Battery Myths

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I was recently sent this link, with the above title, which I find both informative and useful for our hobby.
If you yourself are interested in further reading, this is the link:-

Regards
Andy

• Informative
Reactions: robert44

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks, Andy. A very interesting article.
I am happy that at least one other person found it interesting, as Relion should know far better than any of us here.....they make such batteries!
Stay safe and healthy.
regards
Andy

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
I am happy that at least one other person found it interesting, as Relion should know far better than any of us here.....they make such batteries!
Stay safe and healthy.
regards
Andy
It is interesting, but you have to allow some windage since, as you say, these folks, who wrote it, make one particular option. I suspect the version written by someone else would stress some other points instead.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It is interesting, but you have to allow some windage since, as you say, these folks, who wrote it, make one particular option. I suspect the version written by someone else would stress some other points instead.
I agree that several areas of reference are better than one, but remember, one is still better than none!
Further similar articles, which would be really great to have, hopefully sooner rather than later.....
So if anyone finds such articles, please post links so that we all have a chance to read them. Thanks in advance.
regards
Andy

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Further to my comment about the article being interesting.
Some time back, I had investigated the idea of a LifePO4 battery for the caravan. As stated in the article, this should have had an extremely long life, far more that a lead acid.
However, the cost saving was debatable. At around £1000 for the LifePO4 compared to roughly £100-£130 for a lead acid battery, there was no way I could find £1000 just like that so went for the lead acid, now 5 years old and still going strong.

This is a piece of the missing information in that article, the huge difference in cost. OK at the end of the day, I may well spend more money on lead acid batteries, but that cost would be spread over a number of years.

Of course, this only relates to my own useage of such batteries. For others it could be different.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
The comparison is a good read (thanks!), but for the ebike owner it's a bit of a moot point.
Lead acid batteries are too large & too heavy for the average ebike.

The reason they're still in cars is that space generally isn't at a premium.

Some of the more expensive motorbikes are, on the other hand, just starting to move over to lithium for their space & weight saving, but with a matching hike in cost of a few £100s.