E-bike for mobility problems

tomg29

Just Joined
Oct 1, 2021
Hi,

I’ve been looking on this forum at some posts, but wondered if anyone could help. I’m completely new to ebikes and have been looking at getting one to help with my mobility - I have a long term health condition and can only walk short distances before having to stop, so an ebike would allow me to get around more, and further! I live on the edge of central London, so I'd mostly use it for fairly slow-paced city riding, and to replace walks to the station or to the shops, etc.

Due to this I’m ideally looking for an ebike with an open throttle so that I don’t have to pedal. I’d probably rely on the throttle to get around most of the time - I’ve read about the various limitations around this, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions of that best way to go about it?

So far I’ve looked at a Wisper 806 Folding bike, as I saw a post here from Wisper a couple of years back saying they can potentially register their bikes with the DVLA for an open throttle - although I haven't heard back from that about it just yet. Also considered getting a Swytch kit with thumb throttle, where the throttle doesn't seem to have any limits in terms of pedalling at the same time to make it work.

But I’m totally new to all this, so basically don’t know where to start! Would really appreciate any advice people can give?

Thanks

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want to be 100% road legal then the Wisper certification route is the way to go, they offer it as an option above the cost of the bike. Some of their dealers aren't too clued up on it so speak to Wisper HQ direct.

The other option is one can have a throttle activated bike though one has to pedal first for the throttle to be legally active, once you pedal the throttle is active and you can stop pedal rotation. If you release the throttle one has to pedal again to activate the throttle and so on.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We have just heard that we can now get the bikes Type Approved more locally, so we are going to start promoting this again. We used to have to go down to Southampton so it would take a full day to get it done. Customers can take the bike themselves if they want to save our service fee.

All the best, David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The other option is one can have a throttle activated bike though one has to pedal first for the throttle to be legally active, once you pedal the throttle is active and you can stop pedal rotation. If you release the throttle one has to pedal again to activate the throttle and so on.
Sorry Neal, the power has to stop when pedalling stops. Below is exemption h which allows pedelecs to escape being classified as motor vehicles needing type approval, the bold highlighting is mine:

(h) pedal cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of less than or equal to 250 W, where the output of the motor is cut off when the cyclist stops pedalling and is otherwise progressively reduced and finally cut off before the vehicle speed reaches 25 km/h