RedShift Shockstop Suspension seat post

JamTop

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2021
Ive been looking at replacing my seat post with the above. I gather that the post is now available in two lengths, ie 350mm and 280mm. I can only find the 350mm size in UK outlets. This is too long for my Cube Kathmandu. Does anyone know whether / where the shorter post is available? Alternatively, an alternative recommendation would be welcomed. I wouldn't want to spend more than the cost of the Shockstop.

Thanks in advance

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I'd normally suggest the Suntour NCX seatpost as a cheap and cheerful solution. I've used them successfully. Unfortunately, I think the shorter of the two options that Suntour offer is 350mm which you've indicated to too large for your bike.

The Suntour post can't be trimmed / cut to length as the suspension is via a spring running inside the post. I understand the Redshift is a similar design.

You may have to look at elastomer type posts like the Thudbuster to achieve your objective. These are a lot more expensive than Suntour, but I don't believe there is a significant price difference over the Redshift?

JamTop

Aug 22, 2021
I'd normally suggest the Suntour NCX seatpost as a cheap and cheerful solution. I've used them successfully. Unfortunately, I think the shorter of the two options that Suntour offer is 350mm which you've indicated to too large for your bike.

The Suntour post can't be trimmed / cut to length as the suspension is via a spring running inside the post. I understand the Redshift is a similar design.

You may have to look at elastomer type posts like the Thudbuster to achieve your objective. These are a lot more expensive than Suntour, but I don't believe there is a significant price difference over the Redshift?
Thanks Jodel. I looked at the Suntor and reached the same conclusion. The Thudblaster looks attractive. I'll have another look.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
If you haven't ridden with a decent suspension seatpost, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how effective they are. They are not like riding a full suspension MTB, but are more than adequate for on-road and light trail use.

One thing to bear in mind, is that the the suspension part of the seatpost effectively raises the saddle height (by about 50mm) in comparison to a 'normal' seatpost. Worth factoring into your assessment if adjustment is limited and you are vertically challenged :).

JamTop

Aug 22, 2021
If you haven't ridden with a decent suspension seatpost, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how effective they are. They are not like riding a full suspension MTB, but are more than adequate for on-road and light trail use.

One thing to bear in mind, is that the the suspension part of the seatpost effectively raises the saddle height (by about 50mm) in comparison to a 'normal' seatpost. Worth factoring into your assessment if adjustment is limited and you are vertically challenged :).
Yes. Usefully, Redshift have a diagram including dimensions with max and min insertions. They sell the 280mm seat post direct from the US but I don't want to get hammered with import costs. I know the 280mm version is relatively new so maybe I'll wait until it gets here. Anyhow thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

JamTop

Aug 22, 2021
Finally managed to get hold of the 280mm Redshift post and appropriate shim. It took a few tweaks to get the adjustment right. The recommended weight adjustments weren't particularly helpful but once I'd sorted it out - wow. No more jarring lumps and bumps. Absolutely fabulous.

Related Articles

Advertisers