Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You know that I’m no fan of Johnson, but I believe they are right to open things up and let the public take some responsibility for themselves. We couldn’t have remained in lockdown for ever.
And 40,000 plus deaths as a result are just collateral damage?
Never in a million years

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Whereas you know more than folk writing report.. Yes, of course you do OG.View attachment 44401
Read it all OG... But then again you don't need to do you.
You make the thread utterly pointless. Just ignore anything presented to you, regardless of its authenticity. Just your own ridiculous conclusions based in bias, media spin and prejudice. Brilliant. What a waste of ******* time. This thread and the report.
Well you know what to do, don't let us delay you.
A report by the UK Government comes out as it was intended to.
Great, and thicko's rejoice
Ignoring the bit where it Blames Johnson and co for 20,000 deaths by gaslighting that as a lesson learned?
And where is the Prime Minister when this story surfaces?
On yet another (someone else paid for it bloody holiday, pretending to paint in emulation of Churchill.
What a surprise!!
When are you going to start thinking, instead of living in denial?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Increased physical social interaction over the Christmas period will make things worse, just as it did last year.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Amazing how differently the Select committee's report can be so differently interpreted.
BBC used it to attack Government, Mail used it to defend ministers and attack Valance, Witty, Sage and especially Fergusson.
Danidl refuses to read it on principal and OG has found a bit saying Boris murdered 20,000.
I wonder who has actually read it, the conclusions are for a change worthwhile with advice for systematic changes around Sage and especially Cobra.
As usual folk pick out the bits to reinforce their own prejudice and then miss the salient lessons.
Let's hope those that matter actually read it.
Us lot, Daily Mail and even Emily Matis are utterly irrelevant. Lessons need to be learnt or all this will happen again, with or without Boris.
There was deep rooted systematic failure. Covering that up by choosing a scapegoat will get us nowhere. Whether that scapegoat is Boris, Fergusson or Valance makes no difference.
The only area where the "system" worked, irrespective of its efficacy, is with the vaccine. From funding to research to procurement to deployment. Other areas (specifically Tand, T) even with vast investments did not replicate such system success.
We should not be concentrating on blame, as Daily Mail, BBC and OG insist we do. We should be putting long term strategic plans in place to remove the idiosyncrasies prevalent with pressured decisions by both scientists and ministers.
I think the report goes someway to starting that process. It's a decent start.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Amazing how differently the Select committee's report can be so differently interpreted.
BBC used it to attack Government, Mail used it to defend ministers and attack Valance, Witty, Sage and especially Fergusson.
Danidl refuses to read it on principal and OG has found a bit saying Boris murdered 20,000.
I wonder who has actually read it, the conclusions are for a change worthwhile with advice for systematic changes around Sage and especially Cobra.
As usual folk pick out the bits to reinforce their own prejudice and then miss the salient lessons.
Let's hope those that matter actually read it.
Us lot, Daily Mail and even Emily Matis are utterly irrelevant. Lessons need to be learnt or all this will happen again, with or without Boris.
Till the stupidity pandemic that leads to people voting Conservative is stopped I agree but not that lesson will be learned.
It is getting worse out there with rising case numbers and winter is coming on.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Till the stupidity pandemic that leads to people voting Conservative is stopped I agree but not that lesson will be learned.
It is getting worse out there with rising case numbers and winter is coming on.
I had to go out shopping yesterday - very few people were wearing masks. I needed paperclips to test the speed sensor on my Bafang controller - 5V between two pins, if the controller is working... I still can't believe I had NO paperclips in my possession! And these days, they're all covered in plastic! Had to strip that away...

The way people stare in shops when you wear a mask, makes one feel like a weirdo (or more of a weirdo than usual).

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There won't be another lockdown until hospitalisations rises much higher:

View attachment 44403
Locally hospitalisations have already risen very significantly. All visiting has been banned (again). And I think it is at capacity.

During the earliest bad times, they remained open and sent Covid patients to another hospital - but seems not to be the happening this time. Maybe the other hospital is already running over?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Psychology and the science of persuasion should be taught in schools:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Locally hospitalisations have already risen very significantly. All visiting has been banned (again). And I think it is at capacity.

During the earliest bad times, they remained open and sent Covid patients to another hospital - but seems not to be the happening this time. Maybe the other hospital is already running over?

I don't think there's any publically available live data for individual hospitalisation rates, or their policy for overspill. We could ask pedelec member nigelbb - he said he's a doc (on the Covid thread).

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In Ireland we now have 89.6% of the total population vaccinated ... in round numbers we have 400 in hospital of which 73 in ICUs. 2/3 of all hospital admissions currently are of UNVACCINATED people and 1/3 vaccinated .. So the Vaccines are extremely effective.
"1/3 in hospital are VACCINATED, 2/3 are unvaccinated"

This slight revision of your editing emphasis illustrates a different understanding of the vaccines being "extremely effective". It better fits the admission of only 66% effectiveness of one of the vaccine manufacturers.

The most effective thing as we both agree is avoiding getting Covid-19 in the first place by personal precautions. In a hypothetical world where nobody catches Covid-19, the vaccines are useless.

That's what I've been illustrating for many months now with my part of London's much lower rates of infections and deaths, despite the population density and our very low vaccination rates. It's clearly not the vaccines responsible for our relative success when so many of us are deliberately avoiding having any jabs. Likewise the almost 90% vaccination rate in the parts of the country suffering most severely from Covid illustrates how poorly the vaccines are protecting them.

That doesn't surprise me, given the evidence of the AZ being less effective, that you also hint at, and the ridiculously excessive spacing between first and second doses of all vaccines for political advantage.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just saw a little story in the Guardian. My eyes initially read:

‘Sophisticated’: ancient faeces shows humans enjoyed beer and blue movies

But the reality is a touch more prosaic:

cheese 2,700 years ago
Austrian Alps salt miners had a ‘balanced diet’, with an analysis of bronze and iron age excrement finding the earliest evidence of cheese ripening in Europe

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Thinking about these “Energy Companies” that are going bust, exactly what purpose do they serve? I’ve come to the conclusion that they are just resellers and middle men. Chancers skimming money and adding no value. They create no product and scarcely provide a satisfactory service. I hope they all fail and go bankrupt.

why can’t we have one big energy company using buying power to secure the best possible price and then selling it on, but without skimming cash? Have I just described a nationalised industry?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Thinking about these “Energy Companies” that are going bust, exactly what purpose do they serve? I’ve come to the conclusion that they are just resellers and middle men. Chancers skimming money and adding no value. They create no product and scarcely provide a satisfactory service. I hope they all fail and go bankrupt.

why can’t we have one big energy company using buying power to secure the best possible price and then selling it on, but without skimming cash? Have I just described a nationalised industry?
The concept of seventy companies each managing a complete customer billing, relations, and accounting system (acquiring, installing, testing, maintaining, and using effectively) is a nonsense to start with. It is a significant cost and doing it so many times is a major additional burden of costs on the industry.

And the less stable the companies, the shorter the time they can negotiate and use to pay off costs.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeler and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Vital services like water, electricity , rail and gas should never be sold as they should be under state control

Advertisers