looking for electric folder.

1lor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2021
Check your earlier post 'not by much' is what you claimed when comparing folded size difference. The Brompton is much smaller than any other folder - except perhaps for the silly options like the Strida and the useless Sinclair one.

Call me what you like; 'fanboy' isn't a term I'd come across before, but I've had all of the mainstream folders and right now I have a Brompton, because it is the best for my purposes. The Birdy is a better ride, but is far larger and more cumbersome when folded.

The Brompton is fairly bulletproof mechanically - I can't comment on its electrics - and the hub gear set up is easy to maintain, as opposed to the cheap derailleur systems used on many competitors. A gripe is the unusual gear set up on the six-speed models, but that becomes more intuitive in time.
What is different about 6 speed model?

1lor

Oct 10, 2021
Hi mate, never had a Brompton but would never dream of spending that kind of money .
I have a folding Fiido d4s had it about 15 months has not missed a beat, i dont ever fold mine so cant speak on that aspect, but i love mine great city commuter, at 650 to 700 quid its worth a look.
I got mudguards and a rear rack and some mini panniers on and it is perfect for nipping around town and doing the shopping, give it a gander.
That's fine it's your choice, I don't want second hand bikes at this point as I'm new to folders. The brompton folds down smaller so would work for the circumstances I intend to use it

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
That's fine it's your choice, I don't want second hand bikes at this point as I'm new to folders. The brompton folds down smaller so would work for the circumstances I intend to use it
If its in your price range just buy it.
As I said, A lot of money*, but they have a very good reputation, and it's a British brand. As such they have their reputation to protect, and problems will be easier to sort than some mail order thing generically produced with the most basic of componentry chosen due to its cost rather than ability.

Yeah, a lot of money, but all ebikes are expensive* and half the time its a poor quality piece of tat with a motor and battery stuck on the fill the criteria of 'Ebike' I think at least with Brompton, its the overall thats quality, with thought out components rider tested.
Because if it wasn't, they wouldn't be as popular even in non electric form ;) it wouldn't hold its price, it wouldn't be a sought after bike.

* Pretty much relative, my own ebike is £5K Scott Genius 920 eride . I took some advice, but my choice was a logical one and based around its level of quality kit, the companies reputation, my experience in building my own bikes since about '97, and having worked as a bike mechanic building and setting up other peoples.
Some things you just have to pay more than seven hundred quid for.

In my search I needed a bike to shop on as well as use offroad if i wanted, but shopping is really what I need an ebike for(Health reasons) and ive a 2 other high end hardtails
My search criteria included how to store, how to maybe transport it on a bus or train where and how it would be locked up if i go to town for a wander and leave the bike alone for a few hours. Brompton was amongst the choices, but I didnt do it as my size-big and heavy, i felt it didnt meet all my criteria.
Given what I bought, I could have pretty much afforded any commuter style bike, folding or otherwise and I do like the brompton for its reputation and features.
I envisioned it would probably be an ideal choice should i wish to get a bus somewhere and then have an easy to ride bike to go exploring on, I could shop, commute, take it on holiday and be assured of transportation, and also and more importantly be confident it wasnt going to break down on me and leave me stranded somewhere.

Good review vid here -
In fact thanks to your interest and this vid and my own research I'm seriously considering getting one for the hell of it lol. Not the electric version, and probably a 2nd hand one but heck lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1lor

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
What is different about 6 speed model?
The 6-speed versions have a 3-speed internal gear hub, plus a 2-cog mini-derailleur set up. This involves a gear lever on either side of the bars; one for the hub and one for the derailleur. It sounds clunky, but it works well once you've got used to it.

My Brompton is a 3-speed and I've tuned my Woosh kit to have 10 different power levels. In effect, I click the power levels to save changing gear. I don't miss the extra gears.

1lor

Oct 10, 2021
Hi does anyone here know if there is a pannier rack available for the brompton ebike?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi does anyone here know if there is a pannier rack available for the brompton ebike?
Give these guys a call, there's nothing the owner doesn't know about folding bikes:

Reactions: 1lor

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
Some models have a rear rack, but it's better suited to a rack pack atop the rack. The main way of carrying stuff on a Brompton is on the front luggage rack. I believe that Brompton offer a larger bag than the standard one on the electric version.

I've got a Carradice Barley hanging from the saddle loops on mine.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Company here doing brompton copies, or at least accessories for that are pretty much the same.
Called London Craftwork. Their racks are £65, Actual brompton ones are a whopping £170 about. So a fair saving.

1lor

Oct 10, 2021
Company here doing brompton copies, or at least accessories for that are pretty much the same.
Called London Craftwork. Their racks are £65, Actual brompton ones are a whopping £170 about. So a fair saving.
Brompton told me it would be £110 for their official rack. i'll see what i do.