RE: Bosch Active-Line motors - a cautionary tale:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i did they dont care even got banned from posting on there yt page lmfao.

all i want is 2 bits of foam but i am not capable of doing this feat of repair in there eyes wont give me the service manual if i buy the recone kits so dont have much options left.

i have that surround and it will work just not in the wave guide did not get any glue tho as would have to send it in a box and not going to happen from Germany but was same price in a envelope fkn mission lol
Are the surrounds you have, too thick?

Letters tend to work better than comments on the internet.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0064_03.JPGDSC_0060.JPG

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looking at the first photo - the height of the ridge part of the surround appears higher, and it's width narrrower - looks a little stuffed-in (compressed slightly around the circumference) to fit? But I could be completely wrong and you have the incorrect surround foam... It'd be a pain to take it apart, try to stuff it in, and fail. I wouldn't fancy attempting it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the c is to wide and the original has a pitch much steeper to fit in the wave guide and not crush the c it will fit the driver but wont fit in the wave guide as bolted in from the back you cant adjust anything.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Even if you got some company to 3D print a foam surround of the right size, your speaker wouldn't sound correct. Genelec have you trapped! You have to spend £1400 plus VAT!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wonder how different your speakers would sound, if the whole front fascia was held slightly more forward of the cabinet, using washers on the (maybe longer) bolts? That way those surrounds would fit behind the waveguide. But they won't sound perfect and you'd look at that mess every day, and wish Genelec wasn't such a ewasteful company.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant print a foam surround but i can have a mould made for 200 quid but he needs to measure the surround with his tools but cant get over here atm as from Holland and postage is insane atm.

if i had to pay 50 quid for each one thats fine but it is not a option.

DSC_0119_02.JPG
:p

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
you cant print a foam surround but i can have a mould made for 200 quid but he needs to measure the surround with his tools but cant get over here atm as from Holland and postage is insane atm.

if i had to pay 50 quid for each one thats fine but it is not a option.

View attachment 44429
:p

Can you get measuring tools to measure the surrounds with? Can he send instructions of what specifically to measure, and suggestions of what tools to buy?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no he needs them in hand other wise it wont sound the same its a skill i dont have ;(

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You could drive them over, and make a holiday of it?

Reactions: soundwave

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Back on topic
Heres a quote from “the bearing man” on another forum
It is my business to fix ebike motors. I eat sleep and breath motors and that's all I do! I supply parts and fix Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Impulse, Panasonic etc. I can tell you that they all do what they do and they do it well. I would be a lot busier and a lot richer if they all failed as much as you would believe by reading forums.
It is true that some motors are definitely better than others, but that's not an argument for me to get into. Many people ask what motor I would recommend? I say just buy the bike you like/want and enjoy it. Look after your motor and it should look after you.

I’ve covered 5000 trouble free miles with my Active Line Plus motor, my sister has the same motor (2400 miles) no problems.
I’d be happy to buy another bike with the ALP motor :p

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
Back on topic
Heres a quote from “the bearing man” on another forum
It is my business to fix ebike motors. I eat sleep and breath motors and that's all I do! I supply parts and fix Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Impulse, Panasonic etc. I can tell you that they all do what they do and they do it well. I would be a lot busier and a lot richer if they all failed as much as you would believe by reading forums.
It is true that some motors are definitely better than others, but that's not an argument for me to get into. Many people ask what motor I would recommend? I say just buy the bike you like/want and enjoy it. Look after your motor and it should look after you.

I’ve covered 5000 trouble free miles with my Active Line Plus motor, my sister has the same motor (2400 miles) no problems.
I’d be happy to buy another bike with the ALP motor :p
Thank you Gringo, something positive and encouraging at last! I have an ALP motor on my Cube and some of these comments were worrying me. At 18 months and 1500 miles it is is still very smooth and practically silent. Mind you, I previously managed 7 years and 7000 trouble free miles on a Kalkhoff Impulse motor. Long may it continue!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mostly owners among the general public who are fair weather weekenders won't have many issues as they will use the bike seldom or not often (more so now the weather is changing). Regular users will also probably see little in the way of issues but not everyone will be trouble free the 2 year warranty is a bit of reassurance.

EPJ who no longer posts had a few failures but as those of us who know of him, his riding was nearly always in extreme conditions of constant mud, lots of water and some very caked conditions.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I’d be happy to buy another bike with the ALP motor
Meanwhile the Bosch haters are saying bah,humbug and investing in multi meters and soldering irons ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Meanwhile the Bosch haters are saying bah,humbug and investing in multi meters and soldering irons ;)
The only transferable skill you get with a Bosch, is buying another Bosch.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I know 3 bike hire shop owners or mechanics here in Austria, all of them have 20 plus bikes for hire and one of them does service work from the shop too (they have about 50 hire bikes). Most but not all of the bikes are Bosch, some Yamaha some Shimano but all are mid engine. None of them have replaced motors on hire bikes in the last 4 years. These bikes are all out everyday in high season and probably every other day in low season. The bikes are replaced normally every 2 years. The mechanic at the bike shop has replaced some Bosch motors for private customers but that's not really surprising as nearly all privately owned bike here are Bosch and there are probably more Bosch ebikes in our small area than the whole of the UK. We don't really do a lot of flat gentle riding around here apart from along the Inn river in the main valley.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Back in the distance past (70’s) My dad would say “don’t ever buy a Ford car” his logic was “you see a lot more fords broken down than any other make” a true statement but there were a lot more Fords on the road in the first place. o_O :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
since i got my bike in 2014 i have only had 1 motor problem were it was over heating on a long steep climb on one of the hottest days of the year and apart form that not had any more error codes, original batt is also still working.

i now have a brand new cx motor as wanted the extra 15nm that the cx gives but can put the old one on as it still works but could do with some bearings changed and would be good as new.

most of the motors peter gets for repair has water ingress and destroys the bearings and short damage to the controllers.

the motors are not water proof and epj knows this so hammered the crap out of them in all weather cos if it failed in warranty he got a new motor and sold the bike when the warranty ended hopefully with a new motor fitted. :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
image (7).jpg