Bit Of Advice Please.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Some of you kind people on here may already be aware that I have owned an electric mountain bike since 2007 and over the years have kindly been helped with differing issues that arose through this forum. As I am now getting older I found that my mountain bike was becoming a bit too heavy so decided to sell it earlier this year. A big mistake I am now thinking? I then decided to purchase a much lighter E-Plus Mantra electric bike with 20 inch wheels. Although this does a job I find it quite unstable when negotiating corners. The tyres tend to be a bit narrow for this bike at a size of 20 x 1.50 so was wondering if it's possible to upgrade these to a larger width to aid with the instability?

The other down side is that it doesn't have a thumb throttle, so I have to constantly operate the pedals for assistance. I thought this would work out fine but unfortunately it's now proving an issue as I have a dodgy hip. Old age related I afraid to say. I am wondering if it's possible to add a thumb throttle to this machine also? Anyone able to offer any advice please? TIA.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Locate the controller box and post pics of the wiring nicely laid apart and not a birds nest affair then we might be able to see if it is possible.

Regards to tyres one might be able to fit something like Scwalbe's 20" Big apple's or others they produce up to about 2 - 2.15", measure the distance between the forks stays for clearance, though one will be able to see what available clearance there is with the tyres fitted.
The rims are likely 19mm so should be no issue to fit wider tyres.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Strip down the front part of the battery holder to show us the controller and connections, someone can then advise of whether you can add a throttle

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Is this it?

I'm not sure it's a good choice of e-bike for you given your difficulties/"dodgy hip". It may be lighter than your old bike, but it's a steel frame that weighs in at 21kg. There are several other 20" wheeled e-bikes (aluminium frame) that are a few kilos lighter for just a little more cost.

It's also a single speed 24v system - a little underpowered compared to a 36v system, and having a choice of power levels would be more usual/helpful given the smaller 7Ah battery.

It also has no gears: I'd have thought having at least a basic 6 or 7 gear set-up to ease the amount of pedal effort you need to put in might help you too, especially on inclines and hills.

As already said, wider tyres are an option, as are wider handlebars making the steering less "twitchy".

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Is this it?

I'm not sure it's a good choice of e-bike for you given your difficulties/"dodgy hip". It may be lighter than your old bike, but it's a steel frame that weighs in at 21kg. There are several other 20" wheeled e-bikes (aluminium frame) that are a few kilos lighter for just a little more cost.

It's also a single speed 24v system - a little underpowered compared to a 36v system, and having a choice of power levels would be more usual/helpful given the smaller 7Ah battery.

It also has no gears: I'd have thought having at least a basic 6 or 7 gear set-up to ease the amount of pedal effort you need to put in might help you too, especially on inclines and hills.

As already said, wider tyres are an option, as are wider handlebars making the steering less "twitchy".
Thats exactly what I was thinking but thought I'd ask first

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Is this it?

Yes. That's the one or very, very similar. It's not my first choice but I'm able to step through, and you're quite right about it being underpowered. Especially as I'm not the lightest or shortest fella to use it. There is actually room to add a cassette for gearing and was also considering that as another option. If I cannot sort something out then I'll have to try to buy another with a thumb throttle.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Locate the controller box and post pics of the wiring nicely laid apart and not a birds nest affair then we might be able to see if it is possible.

Regards to tyres one might be able to fit something like Scwalbe's 20" Big apple's or others they produce up to about 2 - 2.15", measure the distance between the forks stays for clearance, though one will be able to see what available clearance there is with the tyres fitted.
The rims are likely 19mm so should be no issue to fit wider tyres.

That was going to be my first step. I've wired a few contollers over the years so it's not a major issue. I'll have to strip it down, as you mentioned, and go from there. Will post some pic when I've done so.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Strip down the front part of the battery holder to show us the controller and connections, someone can then advise of whether you can add a throttle
That was going to be my first step. I've wired a few contollers over the years so it's not a major issue. I'll have to strip it down, as you mentioned, and go from there. Will post some pics when I've done so.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I replaced 1.25" tyres on one of my 20" folding bikes with 1.95" and it made a world of difference, especially on rough ground.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Definitely change handle bars to wider ones and better still get some swept back at about 40 degrees for real comfort and control, fit ergon grips and one would have a very comfy set up and little need for suspension with fatter tyres.