Wheels

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Has any one tried These mag wheels? Where would you fit the speed sensor magnet? Maybe drill a hole? They must be strong

Drilling might be a very bad idea. Could you use a slightly longer screw into the speed sensor magnet, and a washer on the other side, jamming it into one of the gaps? Depends on speed sensor positioning. Or attach the magnet to a hose clamp, then onto one of the spokes? Might bring it too close to the fork. Or glue it into a gap with epoxy, or some such? You might be able to glue a hard drive magnet onto a (or into the gap) spoke? They're flat and very strong magnets. A broken hard drive can be sourced for zero money, or almost zero.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
did you check the waight of them!!!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

Andy230262

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2021
Dorset
Would definitely be strong enough. Yes I think the gap could be good for wedging the magnet in and stick there with chemical metal. Do magnets stick these wheels ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Would definitely be strong enough. Yes I think the gap could be good for wedging the magnet in and stick there with chemical metal. Do magnets stick these wheels ?
I suppose you could send them back, if the plan didn't work... and they're not damaged - it's best to be fairly sure that your plan will work, before purchase (of course). Magnets don't stick to magnesium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy230262

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sticking on top would be safer than stuffing the magnet into the gap - those spokes will flex, and you don't want to change or add fatigue to the metal by changing the flex (at that point), which might happen if you jammed a magnet into the gap. If the magnet falls off after a time, for instance if you attached it to the side of a spoke, it's cheap to get another magnet.

Last edited:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
If the next wheel breaks I will try upping the budget to one of these.but in 26inch

If your current wheels are 14y old they are likely secured by nuts on the shaft ends or quick release. Newer hubs like these are thru axle and won't fit in the same frame.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Has any one tried These mag wheels? Where would you fit the speed sensor magnet? Maybe drill a hole? They must be strong
From the eBay advert:
Magnesium Bicycle Wheels are the lightest among all of the metals used in transportation tools. They can improve potential speed, are very stylish with a comfortable ride and a lot stronger than spoke wheels as they are shock -absorbing.

And from a comparison of mag/alloy v spoked wheels here:
A spoke[d] wheel has better shock absorption capacity than an alloy wheel. The shock is first absorbed by the tires, which then transfers it to the wheels and then it is transferred to the suspension. Because the [spoked] wheels are designed to be flexible, they absorb the shock while staying in shape without bending.

Hmm, who's right? Most off-road motorbikes (which take more of a hamering than a bicycle) have spoked wheels so they have a little give, and you can rebuild them. I'd suggest the same probably holds true for bicycle wheels.

As an aside, the price also suggests they're not going to be up to much wear and tear.

Andy230262

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2021
Dorset
If your current wheels are 14y old they are likely secured by nuts on the shaft ends or quick release. Newer hubs like these are thru axle and won't fit in the same frame.
Your right they are quick release. I have ordered a new rear wheel and will see how that goes. How many other people have have broken spokes on there ebike ? I was hoping that it was just because my wheels were old.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It won't matter which rim you use , the spoke breakage is down to the wheel build quality more then components.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0187_02.JPG
;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I bought a Kirk Revolution magensium alloy framed MTB in the early 90's, and it cracked. It was under warranty, but after it's identical replacement cracked too, I went back to steel. Alloys must have improved since. If I could get magwheels for my particular bike, I would try them.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hard drive magnets are extremely strong

The spokes on those magwheels look fairly flat, you may get away with just sticking on a hard drive magnet using a sticky pad, held on with a couple or so very small tight zipties? If that slips off, use glue+ zipties?

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy230262

Andy230262

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2021
Dorset
I contacted these guys on EBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/argowheels

below is the message I got back with the links. If the wheel I have just fitted breaks I will be getting a set made by Ashley .

Hi Andy,
Thanks for asking, these DT Swiss / Novatec wheels you have clicked on will work OK on an ebike, the hubs are mega strong and the rims are solid enough. But they are rated for a total weight of 125kg (bike+rider) though, so you might need something a bit more sturdy.

For super strong rims I would recommend Halo SAS ; https://www.halowheels.com/shop/components/rims/sas-26-rim-2/
They are bombproof DH rims, heavy, but thats no problem for an e-bike.

I could build them onto another pair of the Novatec DH hubs if you want a bargain or you upgrade to something else if you like (Hope Pro 4, DT Swiss 350, etc).

Let me know if you want me to do you a quote. They would be ready in around a week. . .

Regards
Ashley