Cube Kathmandu Hybrid One 500 or Giant Fathom E+ 2?

Sanad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2021
Hi guys,

I have a cycle to work voucher which I’m going to use on one of these bikes. Mainly to get commuting on a bike and maybe some trail riding once I get comfortable. One of the stores has a cube Kathmandu hybrid one 500 2021 for sale and the giant store here in sheffield has a fathom e+ 2 2022 model in stock. The only issue I had with the giant was inability to fix a rear carrier rack. The cube is the older model but has all the bells and whistles. What would you recommend? I have to make a decision by Friday next week!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Cant help you decide, but would lean towards the Cube.
I've just bought a Thule tour rack that straps onto the rear triangle and ive fitted it to a Scott full suss.
So if it fits a suss, i should think it would easily fit an HT.

Topeak also make a strap on rack. and theres this
You should find a you tube vid showing exactly its set up for a better idea of how the concept works. This one is probably the better system, only I didnt spot it till after id bought the Thule :rolleyes:

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I have a Cube Hybrid and find it a great bike, powerful CX motor, very practical lights/mudguards/carrier. perfect for a commute in Sheffield with all the hills if that is where your commuting area is ?
My Cube is okay for trail riding too.
The Giant looks more mountain bike and would need a few changes to make it a good commuter.

Sanad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2021
So I went to see a few bikes to make my decision easier and now there’s another contender available for £3900: Riese and Muller Charger 3 with enviolo hub, 500wh battery and Kiox display. I quite like the idea of the carbon belt drive and automatic gearing. For that price, it sounds like a great commuter. What do you guys think?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
So I went to see a few bikes to make my decision easier and now there’s another contender available for £3900: Riese and Muller Charger 3 with enviolo hub, 500wh battery and Kiox display. I quite like the idea of the carbon belt drive and automatic gearing. For that price, it sounds like a great commuter. What do you guys think?
You may be interested in the thread https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=147103

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
So I went to see a few bikes to make my decision easier and now there’s another contender available...
What do you guys think?
Well ... I think that unless the bike shortage situation has drastically improved, whichever one you go for, I would be making my mind up PDQ and putting that deposit down before they get sold!!

PS - you might want to define what exactly you're thinking about when you say 'trail riding'.
Because if its going to be muddy off road trails, I personally would want to be getting a proper hardtail mountain bike so it has a bit more suspension and can easily take wide, more knobbly tires. A trekking bike like the Cube kathmandu can do ok with things like grassy paths along canals etc, but I'd be wanting a reaction hybrid type for proper trail riding. That's me though. YMMV.

Last edited: