Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
“He’s telling me we’re going to have to take on extra staff because we’re going to be so busy,” Perkes says. “With all this free trade, they’re going to want our fish.”
Asked how he now views the prime minister, he pauses. “I’m disappointed,” he replies bitterly. “He never mentioned the extra costs.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/nov/01/i-wish-id-voted-to-stay-in-brixham-fishers-on-the-cost-of-brexit

in the cold light of day, there is much more cost doing business with the EU than opportunities for the UK after brexit. I too, stopped selling to the EU.
Still, many would rather believe that Macron is obsessed with his forthcoming election in April than our government avoiding to explain why business is not so good for UK fishers.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
But Oyster, half that radio iodine is totally gone and is a completely different atom within the week. So it is depleted at the rate of about 15.0% per day, without any reference to dynamics.
It depletes at the appropriate rate for the isotope, yes.

But there is another effect, on top of everything else, which is that high doses of iodine effectively "stun" the thyroid. Any radioactive iodine already in the thyroid will tend to be trapped as it stops functioning for a while.

Without added iodine, it might be released by the thyroid and, hopefully, excreted. With added iodine, it might be concentrated in the thyroid and retained for longer.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
science, is preparadigmatic rather than paradigmatic - much more inductive, subject to accidental discoveries, at odds with whatever we deluded ourselves into thinking we knew before.
Were largely blind primates and very little is under our control or work out as planned
You should be a speaker with this message at COP26.

They are going to desperately need excuses in 20 years time.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They are going to desperately need excuses in 20 years time.
agreed.
They try to save the planet by yearly donations from G20 countries.
That makes me think of the BBC 'Save the children' show every year.
Doomed to fail.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
agreed.
They try to save the planet by yearly donations from G20 countries.
That makes me think of the BBC 'Save the children' show every year.
Doomed to fail.
I suspect the meeting has done more harm than good. 400 private jets have flown there, Biden a complete motorcade (20 vehicles) every time he moves and Boris flies home for a couple of days.
Thunberg has a point. Time for actions. Ban plastic wrapping, wet wipes and silly feckers like Bezos flying around world in a fecking jet sat on his own... And that space mission. Wonder how many tons of C02 that blessed atmosphere with. Ridiculous.
Same old story. Do as we say.. We ain't changing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Time for actions.
The G20 countries are responsible for 80% of emission and probably more than that for pollution, so they should solve the problem themselves.
I am skeptical on the way they go about it. Setting net zero target for year X alone does not guarantee that it will happen on year X. Promising to donate zillions does not equate to that money being spent on reversing CO2 because 90% of foreign aid budgets will go to NGOs' wages, little will be spent on developing electricity generation from renewables.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Time for actions. Ban plastic wrapping, wet wipes
Such things are easily said but can't be done, thanks to the traps we've built for ourselves.

To illustrate:

As a kid at the start of the 1940s, for my mother I'd nip over the road to Mr Grice at the corner shop. No chance of getting run over, traffic didn't exist, just a very rare motor vehicle so they weren't an atmospheric pollution issue either.

I'd ask for cheese, which meant cheddar, the only one, which Mr Grice had in a huge block, and he'd cut off what I indicated with a cutting wire and hand it to me in a piece of greaseproof paper. Bacon sliced on the spot and handed over in a scrap of greaseproof paper got the same treatment. Ditto luncheon meat or corned beef. If I wanted biscuits there were two or three types in one foot cube tins full of loose biscuits, so I'd take a brown paper bag, rummage for how many I wanted to pop into the bag. Potato Crisps were only one type, plain potato with a blue paper wrap of salt in each packet to add if one wished, and those packets also came in the one foot cubed tins. If a shopping bag was needed we took our own fabric shopping bag.

The vans that delivered the tins of biscuits and crisps would pick up the empty tins and throw them onto the van roof which had a retaining rail around the top, so they'd go back for refilling. The brown paper bags we'd carefully fold and reuse for various purposes, often several times over. Everything else was minimal so recycling was scarcely necessary.

Now try to translate all of that into supermarkets, often many miles away and even out of town. All that exposed cheese and meat handed over loose, everyone picking loose biscuits etc out of large tins with their bare hands, nothing back then needing plastic, which other than bakelite hadn't even been invented.
We've made a massive rod for our own backs and to get back to where we were is probably nearly impossible with the 40% growth in the population since then.

We'd need to rebuild or reverse engineer almost everything we have, including our lives.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I suspect the meeting has done more harm than good. 400 private jets have flown there, Biden a complete motorcade (20 vehicles) every time he moves and Boris flies home for a couple of days.
Thunberg has a point. Time for actions. Ban plastic wrapping, wet wipes and silly feckers like Bezos flying around world in a fecking jet sat on his own... And that space mission. Wonder how many tons of C02 that blessed atmosphere with. Ridiculous.
Same old story. Do as we say.. We ain't changing.
Bizarrely market forces may save us, solar has become the cheapest energy source, wind is cheaper than coal in most places and if china keep exporting ev's it will become cheaper in lifetime ownership cost than ice.
In fact I wondered if danidl was around? He mentioned having solar. Wondered how efficient in reality it is? How many, say, 400w panels one would need to supply a home? Many unknowns I know but (extremely and recklessly back of a fag packet) calculation say hypothetical 48kwh a day house would need about 32 (12.8kw) for 5 effective hours (somewhere warmer than here, say calabria)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In fact I wondered if danidl was around? He mentioned having solar. Wondered how efficient in reality it is? How many, say, 400w panels one would need to supply a home? Many unknowns I know but (extremely and recklessly back of a fag packet) calculation say hypothetical 48kwh a day house would need about 32 (12.8kw) for 5 effective hours (somewhere warmer than here, say calabria)
Germany, certainly not warmer than us, has some whole villages off the grid year round on solar power. They are Europe's leaders in solar.

"Despite being among the countries with the least sunshine hours, Germany is one of the largest solar power producers in the world. ... In 2019, they produced about eight percent of the country's net power consumption, out of a total renewables share of 43 percent, according to energy industry group BDEW. "

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So Boris tells the assembled thrilling mong at the Climate Summit, that
"The end of the World is at one minute to midnight!"

After arriving half an hour late and making Fart jokes!
And tops that by falling asleep.
Not wearing a mask next to 95 year old David
Attenborough.
And topping off this storming display of commitment by flying home in a Private jet, (as did the Royals too!)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
So Boris tells the assembled thrilling mong at the Climate Summit, that
"The end of the World is at one minute to midnight!"

After arriving half an hour late and making Fart jokes!
And tops that by falling asleep.
Not wearing a mask next to 95 year old David
Attenborough.
And topping off this storming display of commitment by flying home in a Private jet, (as did the Royals too!)

Yebbut - the jet is using some biofuel. (Should be piofuel - all it does is assert the person's self-proclaimed piousness.)

Completely ignoring that every litre of biofuel used in this aircraft simply means one less litre available for other aircraft.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
  • Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Such things are easily said but can't be done, thanks to the traps we've built for ourselves.

To illustrate:

As a kid at the start of the 1940s, for my mother I'd nip over the road to Mr Grice at the corner shop. No chance of getting run over, traffic didn't exist, just a very rare motor vehicle so they weren't an atmospheric pollution issue either.

I'd ask for cheese, which meant cheddar, the only one, which Mr Grice had in a huge block, and he'd cut off what I indicated with a cutting wire and hand it to me in a piece of greaseproof paper. Bacon sliced on the spot and handed over in a scrap of greaseproof paper got the same treatment. Ditto luncheon meat or corned beef. If I wanted biscuits there were two or three types in one foot cube tins full of loose biscuits, so I'd take a brown paper bag, rummage for how many I wanted to pop into the bag. Potato Crisps were only one type, plain potato with a blue paper wrap of salt in each packet to add if one wished, and those packets also came in the one foot cubed tins. If a shopping bag was needed we took our own fabric shopping bag.

The vans that delivered the tins of biscuits and crisps would pick up the empty tins and throw them onto the van roof which had a retaining rail around the top, so they'd go back for refilling. The brown paper bags we'd carefully fold and reuse for various purposes, often several times over. Everything else was minimal so recycling was scarcely necessary.

Now try to translate all of that into supermarkets, often many miles away and even out of town. All that exposed cheese and meat handed over loose, everyone picking loose biscuits etc out of large tins with their bare hands, nothing back then needing plastic, which other than bakelite hadn't even been invented.
We've made a massive rod for our own backs and to get back to where we were is probably nearly impossible with the 40% growth in the population since then.

We'd need to rebuild or reverse engineer almost everything we have, including our lives.
That might be case flecc but something has to change. We simply can't carry on pretending recycling works and filling oceans up with bits of plastic.
The whole recycling con has been to justify and continue producing plastics to throw away.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
accuracy is important though.
Take the carbon footprint of the LHC. Its original aim was to confirm the existence of the Higgs boson. Is it woth it? You could also say the same about a lot of other endeavours like sending telescopes into orbit. Sometimes you need real experiments. They will seem wasteful but that's how progress is made.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
So what.
Hydrogen Production isn't exactly clean is it.
And thats before we look at the whole procedure of Bozo's firework.
But green H is increasing production. JCB have contracted to buy loads - from Australia.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
accuracy is important though.
Take the carbon footprint of the LHC. Its original aim was to confirm the existence of the Higgs boson. Is it woth it? You could also say the same about a lot of other endeavours like sending telescopes into orbit. Sometimes you need real experiments. They will seem wasteful but that's how progress is made.
95% of our current Hydrogen Production produces Co2 and not in inconsequential amounts. So your premise that since Bozo used liquid hydrogen he didn't contribute to C02 is BS. And, you know better than I do.
As for looking for experiments to conquer new worlds and boldly go like Captain Kirk, the first priority should be not destroying this one. Bozo (the Amazon one) is just paying lip service to environmental issues. He is simply competing with the third Bozo of Tubular Bells fame. And flying about pretending to care in his private jet.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
But green H is increasing production. JCB have contracted to buy loads - from Australia.
Good... But again so what. Bozo didn't care whether his hydrogen was green... Don't worry if it were he, d have told everybody by now. And since only 5% of it is green, does that mean some idiot can burn up all the green stuff in a fecking great big firework. Bonkers or what.
Let's make some green hydrogen so we can throw it away.. Brilliant. No wonder world is going to hell in a plastic hand kart.
Changes have to start somewhere. We should have started doing so 30 years ago, but no, we always justify why some fool can build another coal mine, light another fire, destroy some more forest, make some more plastic. Seems to me the very people who can afford to and should make these changes do exactly the opposite.
Last year, the great environmentalist Emma Thompson flew 3000 miles to attend a climate change demonstration. That's about par for course these days.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Advertisers