Can you buy a helmet cover that has a neck shield?

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Looking ahead to the rainy weather I was thinking about a cycling helmet cover but they all seem to just cover the helmet, so allowing the rain to run down the back of your neck.

What solutions have people found?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looking ahead to the rainy weather I was thinking about a cycling helmet cover but they all seem to just cover the helmet, so allowing the rain to run down the back of your neck.

I use a BMX-style helmet with a jawguard, a rainproof cover on top, and a very thin waterproof insulating hat underneath - I never get rain running down the back of my neck... and my ears don't get too cold. I also wear a face-mask, keeps that warmer in cold weather.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I use a silk scarf folded triangular granny style under a regular helmet. Mainly for cold; two critical areas are ears, and the bit just below the helmet at the top of the neck; helmets somehow seem to funnel cold drafts to that sensitive area.

It must work a bit for rain because I haven't had the running down the back of my neck issue.

Since I retired some time ago I don't that often ride in the rain, but I guess that's not a general solution!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Use a French Foreign Legion hat? I use one when gardening - keeps the sun off the back of my neck, it'd probably fit under a normal bike helmet:

You could cut off the front?

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
My helmet will fit over the hood of my paramo cycling jacket, I stay warm and dry.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
With my old normal bike helmet, I wore a very old Karrimoor (made before Sports Direct bought and ruined that company) Gore-Tex "Expedition" jacket, which had a very high collar - no drips on t' back of neck with that!

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK

Helmet covers are ok for when you don't want to pack a lot of gear, don't want to get your head wet, and/or the risk of rain is low. But yes ... rain can run down your neck.

If you know you want more hardcore weather protection, you probably want to be looking at a jacket with a hood! Fortunately, dedicated bike wear already exists from many manufacturers that can give a number of advantages, specific to cyclists like good breathability, extended tails for butt protection! reflective details for night riding etc.
As an example, I'd be looking at the Altura Nightvision Jackets. Offerings from Endura, Scott etc.
Some of the Altura jackets have removable hoods. If used, these are generally worn underneath your helmet. The hoods are fairly small and light and fit easily into one of the numerous pockets of the jacket when not in use.
Other Jackets are more MTB focused, and these can have oversized hoods that actually fit OVER your helmet. The ones I've seen are usually fixed and they might be referred to sometimes as 'grown hoods' or something like that.

While you can use more generic clothing, I personally have found that the advantages of cycle specific clothing are worth going for these options.