Revos ebike kit

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Revos ebike kit

Having had several Ebikes over the years, including a brushed motor ebike from one of the first ones available seems many years have passed.
I've built and converted different ones since. But decided I really like my standard 700c hybrid i thought I'd try a Revos kit. I liked the idea of just quick removal and ease of use. If I didn't want a bike stored, I could just bag the kit.
Weighing up pros and cons I took the plunge and purchased one.
The kit is easy to fit, paying attention to tyre pressure, I adusted the tension of the unit against the tyre. The locking screw stops the unit flicking up as the motor fires up. Using the Allen key just tighten up just enough.. I had the bike suspended and turned the pedals watching the unit move up, then adjusted until it was secured. The tension lever lifts up on a spring, so you can adjust tension as its a half turn adjustment, I leave mine against the frame, so if I require the motor released of the tyre, I know a full turn or two, will free it off, then back the same to reapply.
I do have a cable tie to stop any unwanted movement of the tension lever, I just slip up the cable tie to adjust, then slide back down.
The pedal sensor does need to be glued in place if using the standard one on the BB.. Mine was slipping and caused unwanted cut of.. But hot glue gun and all was solved.
I've had no tyre wear that's noticeable to cause any issues. Though of course it's going to wear quicker.. Make sure the unit doesn't not slip on the tyre, you can hear it doing so and the motor will stop until you stop peddling then fires back up... I've adusted mine just enough, so it's as free as possible but no slip..I do get odd one when on incline or starting off in wrong gear. But I except that as my fault.
The battery 200wha is great, I've done 20 miles easy and not flattened it, though in red.. I live in a very inclined area so no complaints about power.
It works great and enjoy the ebike. A little more thought needs to go in to approach of junction as no cut of on brakes.. But there is no reason not to pedal backwards to kill it.. But thats boring.
The unit takes you to legal limits easy and I've never had this bike in the highest gears before, really good.
If your going to use on muddy paths, then I can't say how good it's going to be, but I knew that may be an issue. But will see on that one. The only contradiction I can see is revos state pedal back half turn to deactivate, when instructions and in real terms it's several turns quickly. But I can live with that. Price wise it's a bit expensive but I'm glad I've bought mine.. Knowing its easy to swap between bikes.. Not a lot to go wrong, but anything can i guess.. Not sure how long the texture grip will last but seems good at moment. I know and hear people against these, but for me and the simplicity of it and the 20-30 seconds to release tension from wheel so it's a standard bike again is brilliant. No regrets at all. I certainly recommend it's fitted on lightweight bike and not a heavy rider. I'm 12 stone and aluminium frame 700c bike. The charger works effortlessly and a couple of hours it's done. I'm informed the 15.5mph speed is calculated from bb to revs, so no issue on fitting on different wheel size..
Is it as good as hub.? Probably not. But for general use town/ Road/ towpath. converting to normal use... Perfect in my case.

Reactions: Soliour

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My mK1 #17 kit is two and a half years old now and no issue with roller friction grip, 25miles I get from my 208wh battery with about a 1000' feet of ascent. Half back pedal on/off and sensor on the taking it's cue off the large sprocket, no PAS with the early MK1.
Although the cut of is a strict 15.5mph no problem with treaded off road tyres at topping 24mph on the road.

My one is a great little bit of kit and esp the rear sprocket sensor.

Reactions: Soliour and Zebb

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Revos ebike kit

Having had several Ebikes over the years, including a brushed motor ebike from one of the first ones available seems many years have passed.
I've built and converted different ones since. But decided I really like my standard 700c hybrid i thought I'd try a Revos kit. I liked the idea of just quick removal and ease of use. If I didn't want a bike stored, I could just bag the kit.
Weighing up pros and cons I took the plunge and purchased one.
The unit takes you to legal limits easy and I've never had this bike in the highest gears before, really good.
................ Not sure how long the texture grip will last but seems good at moment. I know and hear people against these, but for me and the simplicity of it and the 20-30 seconds to release tension from wheel so it's a standard bike again is brilliant. No regrets at all. I certainly recommend it's fitted on lightweight bike and not a heavy rider. I'm 12 stone and aluminium frame 700c bike. The charger works effortlessly and a couple of hours it's done. I'm informed the 15.5mph speed is calculated from bb to revs, so no issue on fitting on different wheel size.
Is it as good as hub.? Probably not. But for general use town/ Road/ towpath. converting to normal use... Perfect in my case.
Thank you for the review which confirms my belief that friction drive conversions have a place.

More recently Revolutionworks have also started selling a complete ebike - The Whippet - which has a rear hub drive. I have commented on the Youtube Whippet introductory video that it would be useful to have on their website some company comments about the relative merits of the two systems they are selling and the potential buying 'audience' for each.

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
I like my revos kit. No regrets. Even had it going though mud along toe path, odd slip now and again but all good.
Though as I write this it's been sent back due to technical fault. See how long it takes to come back.
Yes I see the bike, but can't comment as not been on one. But if I was buying complete bike, I'd probably go kudos or similar.

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
The revos kit has been returned for the second time due to fault, as yet unsolved
The first was complete failer video taken, then returned... However when received fault was not apparent.!

This time it's failing to keep going, starts up then stops, though after many attempts it does work, an carry on ok for the remaining trip.. Though I did think this was my fault due to pressure not being applied enough... Though that was me just blaming me..

It's obviously something unerload as it works fine on a bike stand, but not normal use..

If I was in marching band I'd get piano every time.

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Unfortunately this issue is still apparent, they have tried to resolve the issue but the cold or lower temperature is causing it to fail. So unless the unit / bike is kept indoors before use, its a nightmare to get going. I am aware of the component and software issue. How they will solve it, who knows. At least its been identified.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's a shame to here you are still having issues and guess like all things there will be a faulty one or a batch of components somewhere.
Inherently I have heard little of any problems with the kits and my Kickstarter one is still going well, my only gripe is that occasionally I knock the rear sensor on the stay which picks up the cassette teeth for a signal.

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
At first I thought it was me, as it had just come back from unknown fault, though I'd guess that was water ingress, as when they had it, it was OK.... However I had video showing fault, knowing it could be this way..
It was coincidence that temperature had dropped during that time..

It became apparent that during a frustrating phone call, I'm not the only one.! Which is kind of a relief.

I can get round it by keeping it in warmer environment and am just making a thermal cover for it...once its warmed up.. Works great... Really pleased with it. Just takes a few false starts to warm up component lol... They are aware of it, but I'm now totally fed up with it.

Just about to return the new version that is useless too...

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Positive work in progress.

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Pleased to say technical issue has now been resolved. The unit works correctly and am very happy again.. Fully understand the component clash problem that faced revolution works, who has worked hard to solve it. Which in fairness wasn't directly revos fault. Anyway job sorted.