Halfords crossfire e bikes

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
I've not been in the loop on these bikes, I know they had lots of issues in early days. Are they still useless unreliable.?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It's difficult to keep up with different models. Just judging from my reading of this forum there was hope a year or so ago that the new model would resolve the issues. Not too long after that came several reports that made it look as if the issues were not resolved. The specs on the very latest still show the same Suntour system, also the bike is showing as 'unavailable' on the website.

The problems have been made worse by the lack of (proprietary Suntour) spares for repairs, and the ineffectiveness of many Halfords branches at identifying the problem and sourcing and fitting the necessary parts.

As long as you have basic bike fixing skills you would probably be much better off with a bike from the likes of Woosh; less likely to give problems and much more likely to provide relevant parts if there are problems. However, this works best if you are able to do the actual replacement (with lots of guidance from Woosh, this forum, etc)

• Agree
Reactions: kangooroo and Nealh

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Thank you for your reply, its a shame they haven't sorted out the issues.. Yes woosh or similar are probably the better option.
Just be so nice to walk into halfords and buy a ebike without concern. I know any brand can have issues.. But a company like that should be all over it...

Again thank you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Everyone should have a concern walking in one of their stores to buy a bike.

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
As a forum lurcker of other (non-assist) cycling websites, Halfords often got a lot of stick for their lack of expertise in setting up ordinary bikes, so I can't imaging that their expertise on ebikes is any the better.

That doesn't apply to all Halfords stores or course and only the negative reports make it to forums.

Reactions: Zebb

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Hellfrauds has never been the place to buy a bike. 9 out of 10 times the bloke behind the counter is some spotty youth on work experience and would struggle to spell bicycle, and if you do get someone who rides its still hit or miss as to whether they know anything about fixing mechanical problems.

I learned my lesson early on. Put a marzocchi Z2 in to get serviced(I know WTF was I thinking) 6 weeks later, after numerous calls to them i can pick it up.
They didnt know how to get the top race and top cup on a CK headset apart, so used a small flat bladed screwdriver hammered in to lever them apart, snapping off part of the top race and leaving an indent in the top cup. They also left off the main circlip from the rebound adjuster on the fork and caused the inner adjuster the cross thread into the preload adjuster completely knackering that.
I dont know what idiot they put in charge of the work, but clearly they were clueless.
I should have actually taken them to small claims court to replace those damaged bits but I was just glad to get the bike back, and learned the lesson helfrauds and bikes and two incompatible entities.

Add this level of incompetence to electric motors, batteries and controllers and it will be a lucky thing if your house doesnt burn down one night.

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for the replys, shame really but I guess they will never change.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
For non cycling Joe Public a modern bike shop can be both confusing and intimidating and sites like this just don't exist, whereas Halfords seems a friendly family space often with small children in with their parents so it's no surprise when said Joe Public decides to buy an ebike, or any other bike, Halfords is the obvious choice.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Whatever your personal beefs may be with Halfords, you can't deny they must be doing something right (quotes from here).

"Halfords has reported a 140 per cent rise in sales of e-bikes and e-scooters compared to last year and a 120 per cent rise in electric car servicing."

"Halfords currently employs around 2,000 technicians, but now plans to add the same number again next year."

Quite how Halfords intend to "magic-up" another 2000 technicians in a year is moot.

The new Carrera Impel range is also quite new and totally different from their traditional stalwart offerings. It's a bit unfair to tarnish that range with the same brush just yet.

Personally I find Halfords staff very knowledgable, chatty, really helpful, and always prepared to go that extra mile - matching web-prices on stock goods so I don't need to web order and wait for delivery, and even giving me a few bits from their workshop on items not normally sold or temporarily out of stock. Not treating the staff like dirt really helps I find.

Reactions: Tony1951 and Zebb

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
One plus for Halfords, they are much better at allowing proper test rides than most modern local bike shops.

Reactions: Zebb and egroover

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Whatever your personal beefs may be with Halfords, you can't deny they must be doing something right (quotes from here).

"Halfords has reported a 140 per cent rise in sales of e-bikes and e-scooters compared to last year and a 120 per cent rise in electric car servicing."

"Halfords currently employs around 2,000 technicians, but now plans to add the same number again next year."

Quite how Halfords intend to "magic-up" another 2000 technicians in a year is moot.

The new Carrera Impel range is also quite new and totally different from their traditional stalwart offerings. It's a bit unfair to tarnish that range with the same brush just yet.

Personally I find Halfords staff very knowledgable, chatty, really helpful, and always prepared to go that extra mile - matching web-prices on stock goods so I don't need to web order and wait for delivery, and even giving me a few bits from their workshop on items not normally sold or temporarily out of stock. Not treating the staff like dirt really helps I find.
My partner has a Halfords electric Pendleton and it works a treat and she loves it. I've ridden it, and while it isn't a style I like much from a riding point of view, it flies along and does everything we could expect from it.

Of course, If I took it there for a service, I have no idea what the service would be like.

Reactions: Zebb

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
The local halfords where I am have been helpful, Hinckley. I needed some of the very small headstock bearings 3mm, none in stock.. But the service guy had his own supply in tool box.. Just gave me 40.. No payment wanted..
They always seem happy to help ect..
Just be nice to have local ebike shop that's sells good bikes... Hopefully new range proves to be fair product.... And works in the cold.!!