MET police at it again...

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Saw this and I assume they took exception to the >250W motor, no comment about the genny on the back, but it must have attracted attention.

The battery size and mounting draws my attention more than the motor. Not secure, probably lithium cells, potential for serious fire in an accident situation.

I have some sympathy for the officers there. That example is really not trying even to pretend that it might be compliant.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike handling with the Genny on the back must have been awful with the CofG very ungainly.
I wonder if it was just being purely transported or the rider trying to charge the batteries on the go ? The fact a hefty chain secures it to the bike makes one wonder, it is likely the Genny caught plods eye and more so if it was in use and the rider was likely not pedalling with it probably being a twist and go only.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Confiscated, good job too.
More of the countries forces need to crack down on these twist and go 1kw bikes.

• Agree
Reactions: Bikes4two and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I hadn't looked at it properly mostly noting the Genny and front 1kw hub, but just realised it is two wheel drive so at least 2kw with one in the back wheel as well.

That thing is a moped come motor bike all it is missing is a number plate, insurance and a certificate of compliance and I bet he wasn't wearing a crash hat either.

It has got so much hardware on it I surprised the frame can take it, extra rack supports bolted straight through the rear stays and as for the battery setup to which guerney has mentioned the gaffa tape. One assume lipos are being used.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I hadn't looked at it properly mostly noting the Genny and front 1kw hub, but just realised it is two wheel drive so at least 2kw with one in the back wheel as well.

That thing is a moped come motor bike all it is missing is a number plate, insurance and a certificate of compliance and I bet he wasn't wearing a crash hat either.

It has got so much hardware on it I surprised the frame can take it, extra rack supports bolted straight through the rear stays and as for the battery setup to which guerney has mentioned the gaffa tape. One assume lipos are being used.
That Hyundai generator looks like a 2kw model, the view of which may have been obscured in use by that yellow cover - perhaps that caught the plod's eye? I wonder if those two battery packs are separately powering each hub motor? Speed topping out at about 30mph? I bet the acceleration was pretty rapid on that contraption...

I'm starting to have second thoughts about constructing a strange-looking battery box (with rack on top) on the rear rack of my legal 250W BBS01b conversion. I'll definitely avoid attaching a large dayglow yellow reflective shark fin.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A compliant motor is fine and they can't act on a battery as long a it is safe, if poss build one for the frame triangle.
It's the very heath robinson contraptions as in this case that look risky and are illegal.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Come on, own up

• :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Come on, own up
I recall someone on here made a much better two hub motor two battery build for a race. There's a thread about it somewhere. His two batteries were on a rear rack, not dangling precariously on the crossbar.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
d8veh aka vfr400 has made a good few such bikes some 7-10 years ago using smaller geared hubs, his finished bikes with triangle colour coordinated battery boxes looked very professional. The rocky mountain esp in the canadian red maple leaf livery colours looking the biz.

Amigafan was another member who made some nice looking liveried bikes, along with d8evh both built similar bikes in the same kind of style.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A compliant motor is fine and they can't act on a battery as long a it is safe, if poss build one for the frame triangle.
Sadly, the rear rack is the only place that a battery can be on my bike - it's there right now, covered by a hi-viz yellow reflective waterproof rucksack cover, which doesn't look too weird. It looks like a battery covered with a rucksack cover. Sometimes the battery is completely covered by pannier bags. A blocky big ol' box would might be a fuzz magnet. My bike is legal, but I don't fancy having my bike seized just because a cop doesn't know the law, which may be likely. The weight of what I put into the pannier bags resting on top of the battery, was my reason to build the battery box with rack on top - that weight can be substantial, but not till the end of next October, as you know. I didn't want the battery case cracking.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I still don't see it as an issue.
Yesterday I went shopping and had 30kg in my panniers and on the rack, it is neither here or there on a legal bike where the battery is. Many bikes have a pannier battery rack, it will only draw attention if you carry a genny around and wire mess that looks like Marty and Doc are trying to time warp with or the plod mistake for IED doomsday machine.

The bike set up as above in #1 was asking to be seized.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if you want to out run plod your going to need more woof ;)

id win every race in no prep kings on that lmfao :p

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
He is insane 333kph on a bike with no brakes.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Even with a legal mid-drive kit, this might enounter plod problems?

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015