Punctures

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Had a puncture yesterday in a virtually new marathon plus front tyre
In the middle of the forest on a cold,rainy,foggy morning.
Luckily I always carry a spare tube and a full set of tools including some Co2 canisters so a fairly quick fix.
I found a thorn in the tyre right in the centre and managed to pull it back out with sidecutters.
When I got home I put half a bottle of slime in in the hope it won't happen again. I already put the other half in the rear tyre which I had fitted just last week so hopefully it won't happen again at least until the weather improves.
I will still carry a spare tube though as slime has let me down once before with another thorn that it should have coped with easily. I also carry some scabs in case I get another puncture after replacing the tube!
Now that you have slime in your Tubes , make sure you carry spare valves . I have found it gums them up .

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Had a puncture yesterday in a virtually new marathon plus front tyre
Wow. Well it shows it can still happen - even to a marathon plus!

Can I ask - what type of marathon plus was it?
If you were off road - was it one of the MTB types ?

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017
Sep 13, 2020
Halfords white "slime" tubes, so far not one in 6 months (out 6 days weeks maybe 7,10+ mile a day), Schwalbe Land Cruiser K-Guard not great on mud tbf - I went non slime because I had a few left over and had several punctures then one on my slime rear then non - I take a spare tube and £20 for a min-bus taxi but never used it tbf I must check it might be a old £20 note.:(
Exactly what I do + a face mask as the taxi companies require you to wear one.

Also make sure my phone is fully charged, as discovered one day that it was flat and I was deep in the countryside. Fortunately no puncture.

The old £20 notes are legal tender up to and including 30th September 2022.

Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
old £20 notes are legal tender
It was 2x tenners lol - fully charged phone battery and the cell tower nearest to me when I get a puncture is down for maintenance. I do carry a spare face mask in my bag, in the early mask days I had a batch that kept breaking, since purchase reusable ones.

Sanjuro

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2018
Marathon plus being so difficult to put on puts me off buying them, some reviewers have suggested marathon supreme.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
The key putting on puncture proof tyres is adjustable zip ties. Put the bit that the tie feeds through against the rim, this provides a more stable platform than the tyre. I find a good quality metal spoon (the best tyre lever ever invented) with a curved end helps to get that last little bit as well.
I use marathon racer tyres on the road and cycle paths, during the winter I use spiked tyres if need be. It is easier to do this if you have two sets of wheels as it is a pain changing the tyres.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Talking about carrying a £20 pound note for emergencies, I was having a clear out the other day and came across an old wallet. Inside was my original driving licence, from the days when I bought my NSU Quickly and my emergency funding, a £1 note, one of those old, large notes. It would have bought a lot in those days.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Reusable zipties came to the rescue when my old Marathon Plus tyres wouldn't as easily fit on my new rims... they had slipped onto the old wheels with zero fuss. Now I always carry several zipties in my repair kit, for all sorts of little securing jobs around the bike.

Last edited:

Speedy

Just Joined
Oct 24, 2014
Hi All,

What should i be doing about punctures' and preventing them ? what do i need to carry ? just read somewhere about slime ? tubeless or tires with inner tubes ? floor pump and electric pumps ?
My concern is being caught out in the middle of nowhere .

Thanks

Mark.
Hi Mark
I've just clocked up 10,000 miles on my Haibike with Swchalbe tyres and Tannus Armour inserts.No problems despite country roads and cycle tracks covered in hawthorn hedge clippings. Not cheap but might be worth it for the back wheel.

Reactions: Mark *

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Wow. Well it shows it can still happen - even to a marathon plus!

Can I ask - what type of marathon plus was it?
If you were off road - was it one of the MTB types ?
It was the MP mtb tyre.
Here

• Informative
Reactions: guerney