Cheap but good torque wrench recommendation(s)?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi
This any good
That looks good for small torque, especially at that price. Apparently, carbon frame warranties can be invalidated if incorrect torque is applied to handlebar posts. Parts for carbon bikes seem to be more often clearly labelled with NM values. It's far less critical I think, for my aluminium bike and mostly steel Bafang motor: harder to damage by overtightening. Digital torque wrenches seem to offer a wider range. I'm wondering if this digital torque wrench would last longer than 5 minutes of use - 0.3N.m-10N.m, 0.9N.m-30N.m, 1.8N.m-60N.m, 3N.m-100N.m versions:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There are also digital adapters:

...and Clarke's no-need-to-await-China-delivery UK version:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
One of their other Torqs is hex:

This is the set that I have.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This is the set that I have.
That Park Tool... tool... was a serious small torque contender, then I saw this video which tests accuracy against an Amazon Basics product I have never seen for sale - bear in mind that this guy of course, could be an Amazon paid product promotion puppet or Park Tool hater:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If I get a digital torque wrench, I assume that I won't have to periodically calibrate it - this tuber calibrates his using a digital luggage scale. I've got that exact luggage scale already, to weigh my bike:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
:oops: Wow, this is the cheapest beam type torque wrench I've seen so far 0 to 203nm : £16.95. Doesn't need periodic recalibrating, but may be inaccurate. At that price, if it's useless as a torque wrench, it could be a useful purchase as just long spanner with swappable sockets.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
Does anyone have any recommendations for an inexpensive but good socket set in 3/8" for the Park Tool?
Halfords Professional range always get good reviews and look like value for money. Lifetime guarantee by all accounts. YMMV.
Don't buy anything 1/2" drive, used only on trucks nowadays, Most of my stuff is 1/4" or 3/8" and that covers almost everything for me. Can't remember the last time I used 1/2" drive anything.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
If you can find a vintage Britool Torque Wrench at a reasonable price on ebay you will be buying a quality tool. Though I have to say even some of the cheap Chinese offerings are pretty accurate, yes, I have measured/compared some of them. Sad git that I am.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I bought my set from Wiggle who currently have it on special offer at £29.99.

Is this "Lifeline" the torque wrench you use to tighten hip bolts in your operating theatre Doc? ;) Some years ago I read that due to budgetary constraints, the NHS were using DIY grade Black & Decker saws to remove larger limbs. Thank you, that looks a good deal too. Suddenly there are a lot of great torque wrenches to choose from. I'll have to grease the gears in the bbs01b motor soonish, when the Aeroshell 22 arrives...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"Man with one watch always knows what the time is, man with two watches is never sure"

Despite this old proverb, I'll probably decide upon and buy two torque wrenches next week.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The seller responded to the query I sent asking which model of digital torque wrench he is actually selling, because he lists three and says there's an option on the listing, but there isn't: this listing is for the ENC-30, 3NM to 30NM:

Despite Brexit, every item I've ordered from China via ebay has arrived with no extra fees.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This looks interesting, shipped from Preston @59.98 squids, and a good range.

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
The seller responded to the query I sent asking which model of digital torque wrench he is actually selling, because he lists three and says there's an option on the listing, but there isn't: this listing is for the ENC-30, 3NM to 30NM:

Despite Brexit, every item I've ordered from China via ebay has arrived with no extra fees.
China is not a member of the EU. Brexit will have made no difference to ordering goods from China.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
China is not a member of the EU. Brexit will have made no difference to ordering goods from China.
I've read elsewhere of increased scrutiny of packages from China, as a result of extra checks caused by Brexit. So far, this hasn't affected any of my purchases. They all got through somehow without any duty or VAT added - when I bought a new BBS01B controller from China for instance, it arrived 15 days later, resposted from somewhere in the UK. Fiendishly effective, however they're doing it.

Last edited: