It's not always the bike!

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
About a year ago I had an annoying click coming from the pedal/centre motor area of my bike, once per revolution of the pedals. I eventually found that the click seemed to be caused by a broken reflector strip on the right pedal and the noise disappeared when I replaced the reflector. About a month ago a very similar click became noticeable but the reflector strips were intact. I have now identified the source of the click and it's my right knee! I don't know whether to be happy that the bike's OK or sad that my knee isn't. The click has been cured by wearing a support. Thought this might be of interest to anyone with an undiagnosed noise.
Jim

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
About a year ago I had an annoying click coming from the pedal/centre motor area of my bike, once per revolution of the pedals. I eventually found that the click seemed to be caused by a broken reflector strip on the right pedal and the noise disappeared when I replaced the reflector. About a month ago a very similar click became noticeable but the reflector strips were intact. I have now identified the source of the click and it's my right knee! I don't know whether to be happy that the bike's OK or sad that my knee isn't. The click has been cured by wearing a support. Thought this might be of interest to anyone with an undiagnosed noise.
Jim
Jim throw away that support and do what our Ancestors did with chest ailments . Rub in Goose grease , if it worked for chests it must for knees .

Reactions: jdallan and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ever since I collided with a black BMW while out cycling, my right knee clicks... but I've found that knee rotations in an anticlickwise direction makes it go away: stand with your feet 1.5ft apart, bend the knees a bit, enough to put your hands on your knees, and then make horizontal circles with your knees, while resting your hands on your knees. A couple of rotations in one direction or other settles my right knee clicking noise. Also, doing the skier's exercise against a wall helps align the kneecaps - stand with your back against a wall, feet a foot or two away from the wall, bend the knees to 90 degrees, slide your back flat against the wall and hold that postion for a few seconds, then stand back up, sliding against the wall. Repeat 10 times, every day. The latter exercise was recommended by my physio.

Reactions: jdallan

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Jim throw away that support and do what our Ancestors did with chest ailments . Rub in Goose grease , if it worked for chests it must for knees .
You might well be correct but for now I'll stick with the support!

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Ever since I collided with a black BMW while out cycling, my right knee clicks... but I've found that knee rotations in an anticlickwise direction makes it go away: stand with your feet 1.5ft apart, bend the knees a bit, enough to put your hands on your knees, and then make horizontal circles with your knees, while resting your hands on your knees. A couple of rotations in one direction or other settles my right knee clicking noise. Also, doing the skier's exercise against a wall helps align the kneecaps - stand with your back against a wall, feet a foot or two away from the wall, bend the knees to 90 degrees, slide your back flat against the wall and hold that postion for a few seconds, then stand back up, sliding against the wall. Repeat 10 times, every day. The latter exercise was recommended by my physio.
That sounds interesting thanks. I'll give it a go - achieving the knee bend might be a problem though.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
My right ankle used to click when going upstairs.
3 months ago I started taking Turmeric capsules and after about 4 weeks I suddenly realised the clicking had stopped and has not come back since!!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Jim throw away that support and do what our Ancestors did with chest ailments . Rub in Goose grease
I heard that Vinegar and best brown paper were better than goose grease.

Besides are you sure its real Goose grease ?, might be lard. A lot of charlatans about these days.

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
My right ankle used to click when going upstairs.
3 months ago I started taking Turmeric capsules and after about 4 weeks I suddenly realised the clicking had stopped and has not come back since!!
Good stuff, I started taking Turmeric for a touch of Arthritis, never had any pain since.

Reactions: Kinninvie