What is the best conditioner for leather jackets?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
To prevent my elbows being eroded away by tarmac at 15.5mph, I've recently dusted off my old padded leather jacket to wear while cycling. It was perfect, until I smeared this over it:

Now, it sounds like I'm carrying a lot of mating gerbils. What is the best leather jacket conditioner? What's the safest way to remove this overpriced junk? I only wanted a bit of waterproofing, not this constant godawful din of sex maddened gerbils frantically rutting. Neatsfoot oil? Mink oil? Lard? Extract of Vestal Virgins?

Last edited:

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I can strongly recommend Renapur. We have been using it on shoes, car seats and chair for a good many years. They also have a leather cleaner.

https://renapur.com

In fact why not give them a phone call and discuss the problem. 01903 893990. or email info@renapur.com

You can buy direct from them.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I can strongly recommend Renapur. We have been using it on shoes, car seats and chair for a good many years. They also have a leather cleaner.

https://renapur.com

In fact why not give them a phone call and discuss the problem. 01903 893990. or email info@renapur.com

You can buy direct from them.
Thanks slowcoach for your recommendation, but it looks similar to the product I tried and there is mention of at least one resulting sqeaky leather jacket in the Amazon reviews, using Renapur. Waterproofing appears good (just beads and runs off), and my 30 year old jacket miraculously looks almost brand new - it's just the loud squeaks that I can't bear. Some people apply talcum powder all over the kacket and wipe it off, but this appears to be a temporary fix and has to be reapplied. Because talcum powder might cause a form of lung cancer called Mesothelioma, I've used the finest powder I could find to hand: ginger powder, for the same temporary effect but there must be some leather conditioner available which waterproofs but doesn't result in a noisy squeaky leather jacket. I might run my jacket through a short and cold washing machine cycle with mimimal detergent and no spin, to wash this stuff off. Rather than read dubious Amazon reviews (or as well as), I thought I'd ask here on the forum because there seem to be a lot of ex-motorbikers (and other leather jacket wearing types) pedalling pedelecs. I read somwhere that wax dries leather out, causing brittleness and premature leather destruction - there's wax of various types in both Renapur and that similar(?) junky gunge that I used.

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Thanks slowcoach for your recommendation, but it looks similar to the product I tried and there is mention of at least one resulting sqeaky leather jacket in the Amazon reviews, using Renapur. Waterproofing appears good (just beads and runs off), and my 30 year old jacket miraculously looks almost brand new - it's just the loud squeaks that I can't bear. Some people apply talcum powder all over the kacket and wipe it off, but this appears to be a temporary fix and has to be reapplied. Because talcum powder might cause a form of lung cancer called Mesothelioma, I've used the finest powder I could find to hand: ginger powder, for the same temporary effect but there must be some leather conditioner available which waterproofs but doesn't result is a noisy squeaky leather jacket. I might run my jacket through a short and cold washing machine cycle with mimimal detergent and no spin, to wash this stuff off. Rather than read dubious Amazon reviews (or as well as), I thought I'd ask here on the forum because there seem to be a lot of ex-motorbikers (and other leather jacket wearing types) pedalling pedelecs. I read somwhere that wax dries leather out, causing brittleness and premature leather destruction - there's wax of various types in both Renapur and that similar(?) junky gunge that I used.
Contact a local saddler, they would be able to clean and condition with suitable products.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Sorry about text size, I copy and pasted details.
Autoglym LCB500 Leather Care Balm

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
To prevent my elbows being eroded away by tarmac at 15.5mph, I've recently dusted off my old padded leather jacket to wear while cycling. It was perfect, until I smeared this over it:

Now, it sounds like I'm carrying a lot of mating gerbils. What is the best leather jacket conditioner? What's the safest way to remove this overpriced junk? I only wanted a bit of waterproofing, not this constant godawful din of sex maddened gerbils frantically rutting. Neatsfoot oil? Mink oil? Lard? Extract of Vestal Virgins?
I used to have horses over 40 years ago, in the UK, so I just used saddle soap for cleaning and lubrication, no Gerbils.....
But I haven't owned a leather jacket for a great many years, so I am sure that there are better and newer products, so talk to a horse rider near you!
regards
Andy