750 Battery, Motor Noise And Bike Size?

bbrebis

Just Joined
May 27, 2022
Hi,
Thank you for accepting me here!
I have 3 questions:
  • I see there's a new 750 Bosch battery. Do you think it's worthwhile to spend more compared to the 625 battery? I wonder if the range is that much more since the battery is heavier...
  • I'm hesitating about the size of the Cube Kathmandu e-bike I plan to buy: 50cm or 54cm? I am 1.73m tall and my hobby is bike touring over several days/weeks.
  • Is the new Bosch CX gen4 motor particularly noisy compared to others?
Thank you for your advice. Cheers

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi,
Thank you for accepting me here!
I have 3 questions:
  • I see there's a new 750 Bosch battery. Do you think it's worthwhile to spend more compared to the 625 battery? I wonder if the range is that much more since the battery is heavier...
  • I'm hesitating about the size of the Cube Kathmandu e-bike I plan to buy: 50cm or 54cm? I am 1.73m tall and my hobby is bike touring over several days/weeks.
  • Is the new Bosch CX gen4 motor particularly noisy compared to others?
Thank you for your advice. Cheers
The extra battery weight will not affect range noticeably, as it is likely no more than 1% of the total weight once you climb aboard.

For long trips, you cannot have too much battery, so if cost per Wh is similar, I would always go large. At 750Wh, if you travel light, you will manage with one battery with perhaps a brief lunchtime topup, and be able to do 70 mile days.

Sit on one to work out comfort vs size. I'm 183cm, and would be fine with the 54, so the 50 might be fine for you. Better to check if you can, and otherwise sit on similar sizes of similar bikes if there is no local Cube dealer.

There was a group test by one of the mtb mags recently that included all the 2022 mid-drives, I don't recall the Bosch being described as noisy. I think the Shimano EP8 might have been mentioned, but people I know with them don't raise it as an issue.

Reactions: bbrebis

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I have a cube cross hybrid pro which I use for touring, the Bosch CX gen 4 isnt particulary noisy and is a great motor. I have nearly 6k on mine.
I am 1.77m and found the 54cm bike to high for comfort. The standover of the 50cm suits me better. i have a 625w battery but if I was buying again with touring in mind I would buy a 500w model and put the saving to pick up a spare 400/500w on ebay for a few hundred pounds. I recently did a tour in France for 3 weeks and took a spare 500w battery on the rear rack, it came in very handy on hilly 50/60 mile days.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Go for the larger battery, as already said you can't have too much reserve.

My Kona has a 504Wh battery and it's barely enough. Even not using "Turbo" l can rinse the battery in thirty miles.