Solar trailer rides again!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
While a lot of the NL is flat, they have very strong winds, so in many cases it is as bad as going uphill. It also rains quite often. But it does not put them off. We used to have a large number of people cycling in the UK, despite the weather and the hills.
Being around at the time, also a cyclist and in the trade, I know how true this is. Almost half the country cycled in the 1940s and '50s, virtually all males. It was all they could afford and public transport was very deficient following WW2 damage and lack of maintenance. Bicycles and and the occasional bus were mostly what there was on the main roads in built up areas and the main roads out of town were incredibly empty.

but I believe cycling was deliberately killed off here in the 60s and 70s.
I repeat as before, it was dying long before that. The petrol cyclemotors from 1950 on started the rot when they became so popular. Since they had to be registered, insured, number plated and test taken since they had to be ridden with a full motorcycle driving licence, it left the over a million who bought them very easily able to swap when they became better off, onto scooters like the Vespa and Lambretta after they arrived early in that decade.

Getting used to being powered with more weather protection soon lead them into cars. My boss in the motorcycle and cycle trade who had only ever ridden motorcycles previously and owned a 1000 cc Brough Superior, changed that for a Hillman Minx in 1954. Tame in comparison, but much more useful for him and his family. By 1960 Britain's US style motoring future was already sealed and by 1970 there was hardly any adult utility cycling to be killed off. It was a kids activity on chopper bikes and the like.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jimod

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your acknowledge that for most of Europe cycling is commonly the lycra crowd just as it is in the UK.
No. Most countries have their minority of sport cyclists, but they are not at all like Britain with cycling.

What is uniquely British is that virtually all our cycling is done in sporting fashion at higher speeds, even utility cycling like commuting. It's a legacy of our adult utility cycling disappearing for most of two decades and only restarting as a sporting style pursuit with mountain biking. Few in this country now know what utility cycling is, as their bike choice, riding style and accidents show.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
No. Most countries have their minority of sport cyclists, but they are not at all like Britain with cycling.

What is uniquely British is that virtually all our cycling is done in sporting fashion at higher speeds, even utility cycling like commuting. It's a legacy of our adult utility cycling disappearing for most of two decades and only restarting as a sporting style pursuit with mountain biking. Few in this country now know what utility cycling is, as their bike choice, riding style and accidents show.
Here's an example of Lycra clad louts commuting to work, so typical of this country:

Reactions: robert44

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
What is uniquely British is that virtually all our cycling is done in sporting fashion at higher speeds, even utility cycling like commuting.
I think virtually all is an overstatement. I agree that quite a large proportion is, though; a very large proportion if you go by miles ridden.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Being around at the time, also a cyclist and in the trade, I know how true this is. Almost half the country cycled in the 1940s and '50s, virtually all males. It was all they could afford and public transport was very deficient following WW2 damage and lack of maintenance. Bicycles and and the occasional bus were mostly what there was on the main roads in built up areas and the main roads out of town were incredibly empty.

I repeat as before, it was dying long before that. The petrol cyclemotors from 1950 on started the rot when they became so popular. Since they had to be registered, insured, number plated and test taken since they had to be ridden with a full motorcycle driving licence, it left the over a million who bought them very easily able to swap when they became better off, onto scooters like the Vespa and Lambretta after they arrived early in that decade.

Getting used to being powered with more weather protection soon lead them into cars. My boss in the motorcycle and cycle trade who had only ever ridden motorcycles previously and owned a 1000 cc Brough Superior, changed that for a Hillman Minx in 1954. Tame in comparison, but much more useful for him and his family. By 1960 Britain's US style motoring future was already sealed and by 1970 there was hardly any adult utility cycling to be killed off. It was a kids activity on chopper bikes and the like.
My point is that it didn't just die off organically, there was a political and motor industry led drive to eradicate other modes of transport and promote the car. Beeching devastated the railways. Tram lines were pulled up, trolley buses taken out, funding was removed from the railways and public transport. People were told that if they were anyone they had to aspire to having a car, bikes were for the poor, or for those of dubious character. Governments poured huge amounts of money into road building. Things that could obstruct cars and traffic flow were removed from the roads (including children playing in the street). Free parking was available outside of most homes. Fuel was cheap from UK government controlled countries in the Middle East...plus many other factors.

By the time of the first fuel crisis in the 70s, it was too late, people had taken the bait.

• Dislike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's a good job I have a bicycle and trailer as today it helped my car, by me being able to ride said combo to the motor factors to buy a new 70ah 12v battery. I fore see once this car of mine comes to end of life it may well be the last car I have. I will likely then revert the front car parking area of crazy paving back in to a wild garden and a bit of lawn.

Reactions: flash

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Now there's some in depth knowledge! I was rereading the same rules in the last few days.

My speed is typically within the range 10 to 15 mph on the flat. Probably quite hard for those drivers who know that 10mph threshold to judge the difference.

Getting this thread back to solar trailers...

Have you thought about building your own trailer so the wheels can be further apart to improve stability and increase storage space?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's an example of Lycra clad louts commuting to work, so typical of this country:

Indeed London has some different, but look at all the helmets, the drop handlebars, the lack of mudguards and chaincases, the leaning forward, the large numbers riding at 20 mph or more, the scarcity of step-throughs and even the brakes snatched on due to the speeds. That is not utility cycling as it used to be here and still is elsewhere, nor is it appealing to most people. Remember, many of them are only cycling because the congestion charge and later ULEZ charges forced them to. Cycle commuting in London was almost non-existent before them. Remember, I live here and have for the last 58 years.

This isn't remotely like cycling in the three continental countries I mentioned. Nor is it remotely like cycling in most of the rest of the world where the vast majority cycle at a sensible effortless 10mph or less.

Britain including London is very much the odd one out.

• Dislike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wow, nice to see such a wide and flat bicycle lane (Netherlands). That's more like it! No narrow two ft pothole infested gutter marker tokens we're allowed in the UK, if lucky

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The journey resumes... Tomorrow!

I ran out of day before I ran out of things I could usefully do before setting off, so it will be an early start tomorrow and no more than six days riding, as I have work to get back for.

My new axle is fitted on it's wider plywood platform.

IMG_20220629_142012849_HDR.jpg

The temporary solid axle is remarkably straight on one side, given how bent it is on the other. It must have been an almighty hit in a big pothole.

IMG_20220629_172415162.jpg

I start with all batteries fully charged, the solar one obviously from the sun, the Shimano from the mains because it might as well start full, which on the first day gives me the effect of an 800Wh battery instead of the 300 or 400 Wh I can use out of the 470Wh solar battery.

The emergency battery had been on a couple of shopping trips without the trailer, so that is also fully charged.

I have had some remarkably bad weather on these days of not needing to ride, and today became lovely conditions from early afternoon. The forecast is a bit showery tomorrow and then dry most of the way. The weather gods are looking after me.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Getting this thread back to solar trailers...

Have you thought about building your own trailer so the wheels can be further apart to improve stability and increase storage space?
Yes, and in fact today I have 4" additional track width because my replacement Burley axle is from a wider model.

I need to build a better axle as the Burley is not strong enough for my loads on rough roads. The thinking cap is on, and the fingers crossed that it manages the next six days.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Indeed London has some different, but look at all the helmets, the drop handlebars, the lack of mudguards and chaincases, the leaning forward, the large numbers riding at 20 mph or more, the scarcity of step-throughs and even the brakes snatched on due to the speeds. That is not utility cycling as it used to be here and still is elsewhere, nor is it appealing to most people. Remember, many of them are only cycling because the congestion charge and later ULEZ charges forced them to. Cycle commuting in London was almost non-existent before them. Remember, I live here and have for the last 58 years.

This isn't remotely like cycling in the three continental countries I mentioned. Nor is it remotely like cycling in most of the rest of the world where the vast majority cycle at a sensible effortless 10mph or less.

Britain including London is very much the odd one out.
If you listen to the commentary, they do say that the current average speed is higher than they would like it to be as it is mostly used by fit men and they are working to encourage more women and children and the expectation is that over time the speed will drop to about 10 mph as use increases.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Yes, and in fact today I have 4" additional track width because my replacement Burley axle is from a wider model.

I need to build a better axle as the Burley is not strong enough for my loads on rough roads. The thinking cap is on, and the fingers crossed that it manages the next six days.
Hollow large diameter steel axle?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hollow large diameter steel axle?
Longer travel suspension, remove the aluminium torsion tube with welded ends, which is not clever, but without excessive weight. Not straightforward.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you listen to the commentary, they do say that the current average speed is higher than they would like it to be as it is mostly used by fit men and they are working to encourage more women and children and the expectation is that over time the speed will drop to about 10 mph as use increases.
Encapsulating my criticisms. I hope it eventually happens, but the London cycling boom dates back over three decades with the same hopes and it still hasn't happened.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having the wheels supported both sides as the chassis on my trailer does solves that problem, since there is no trailer wide axle. The wheels are also quick release, a blessing when there's a puncture making a quick tube swap easy.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Having the wheels supported both sides as the chassis on my trailer does solves that problem, since there is no trailer wide axle. The wheels are also quick release, a blessing when there's a puncture making a quick tube swap easy.

The suspension without weight is probably the hardest bit. Except on big bumps the ride is very gentle on the panels and electronics.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Day one of the return nearly done, just having afternoon tea whilst sitting out the evening stampede home on the roads.

I woke to grey skies and rain, but by the time I was through breakfast, the first bits of blue were visible, and the first couple of hours along the Route 5 on the north Wales coast were lovely.

Bright skies as I left.

IMG_20220630_074351896_HDR.jpg

View not quite clear.

IMG_20220630_075309672_HDR.jpg

The hills were gentle and even the lifeboat came out to say hello.

IMG_20220630_092111954_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220630_121604116_HDR.jpg

Great views to Puffin Island and the Great Orme.

IMG_20220630_094909246_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220630_092441580.jpg

Even a cliff to sit above for elevenses.

IMG_20220630_111611903_HDR.jpg

And a big wheel to amuse me at lunchtime.

IMG_20220630_134032084.jpg

A reasonable day of generation, 730Wh so far, eked out by level one use where possible has me on 143km, with two bars of the Shimano battery consumed, about 200Wh, along with 680Wh from the solar. The battery is sitting at 40V, charging at 40W or so. That'll easily get me another 10 miles or so to camp 1.

6.15Wh/km, 9.9/mile, just what I'd expect from a fairly flat day mainly on level 1 assist.

Three heavy showers, a bit of sun, the first little bit of two camera use. A few moments to look back at but nothing new, just the incredible impatience I am becoming used to.

Good progress against the six day average of 73 miles that is required to get me back to work on time. All well in the trailer axle department.

Right, onward to camp.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I really made the most of today! From a battery just below 40V, to one at 35.5, having taken it as low as I care to running as far from the high hills as I could, to hopefully limit the effect of the rain tonight, and get an earlier brightening.

My second longest day ever at 172km, 107 miles. Intricate navigation from Widnes to Preston, avoiding as much main road as possible made for slow going to begin with. After Preston the busyness of the A6 kept me going as fast as I could just to have done with it. Blessed relief after Carnforth, when at last most of the traffic had gone to the motorway.

Mixed skies, so cautious use of level 2 at times, and then brighter later, so the old familiar cat and mouse game with the sun, balancing speed with potential time running. It seemed to go pretty well, as in a short afternoon charging stop, I had 240W going in, and the battery briefly at 41V.

The hopeful plan from there was to add Kirkstone pass to my list of high places been and seen, then grab the first bit of grass for camp.

The climb was fine, battery still at 36V at the top due to as much level 1 as I could manage on the levels and downs between the many ups, but rain was close behind and a fair breeze at the top, so I decided to get as far as I could towards Penrith and a fine pasty tomorrow. Minimal use of assistance has brought me much further than I thought I would get.

As so often, a camp turned up in the nick of time, my second 'needs must' pitch of the trip. Very thankful once again for my 10 peg tent, up in 5 minutes just in time to keep me dry.

I don't expect to keep up the 101 miles per day average of this return trip, but feeling very satisfied with it right now.

The energy numbers: a mere 972Wh generated, and 1314 consumed, including about 80 from the Shimano battery when for the second time, I forgot to plug in the solar connector after a break. 7.6Wh/km, 12.3/mile. More than yesterday reflecting more hills and a fair amount of level 2 use.

Another fine camp spot.

IMG_20220701_085146061.jpg

Leeds and Liverpool canal.

IMG_20220701_104309930.jpg

A very naughty tanker driver. I'll look at the pictures later, but down the middle between me and a lorry going the other way felt somewhat tight.

IMG_20220701_133707663.jpg

Afternoon sun, with the beginnings of the Lakeland fells in the distance.

IMG_20220701_172035181.jpg

Langdale pikes looking over from the early part of the road to Kirkstone pass.

IMG_20220701_184842087_HDR.jpg

Top of the pass. I came the easier way.

IMG_20220701_193011726_HDR.jpg

And looking down the other side.

IMG_20220701_193409658.jpg

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Already hints of a bright day with 7A momentarily with trailer angled to glimpses of the morning sun.

IMG_20220702_073245553_HDR.jpg

More on that tanker from yesterday. Three images from the forward handlebar camera:

GX010019_1656740261405.jpg

GX010019_1656740266737.jpg

GX010019_1656740274331.jpg

Timelapse images at half second intervals i.e. 2 frames per second.

At least he gave me half a metre or so space whilst planning his chicane manoeuvre:

GX010338_1656739698492.jpg

GX010338_1656739703323.jpg

This is the other lorry, seen from the rear camera.

GX010338_1656739748944.jpg

Looking further back in the rear facing footage, he was not delayed. He came straight up from behind and straight past in the face of another HGV on a solid white line.

Perhaps he thinks the painted cycle lane line means the rest of the road is his, or perhaps he chooses to interpret the 1.5m guidance as meaning a 1.5m lane in which I ride, rather than a clearance.

I am particularly annoyed by this one because it is a fuel tanker. These need to be the safest vehicles on the road. OK, this one is UN1202, which is diesel or heating oil, not LPG or petrol, but another load, another day, it could be same driver, more flammable cargo.

His company have the images, so I imagine he'll be getting some retraining.

Reactions: WheezyRider