Tannus Aither 1.1 "Razor Blade" First Impressions...

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
I'm running a hub motor on my rear wheel. After getting a puncture recently on the rear wheel - where else - that was the final straw. This is a rear wheel that was already running on a Marathon Plus tyre and it already had a Tannus Armour insert... I still got a puncture. It looked like some sort of roofing nail, the ones that are about 12mm with a wide flat top.

The next step was to buy a Tannus Aither Razor Blade solid tyre for the rear wheel (26" x 1.75").

Fitting that tyre to my rim was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I managed to squeeze the tyre on, but found that it was impossible to get the tabs to clip in. I think I managed to clip one tab in using all my strength, afterwards I felt like I had been trying to push a train!

I bought the Tannus "P-Tool" pliers thinking they would make clipping the tabs in easier - nope. That tool is absolutely useless, it just flexes and doesn't have anything like the leverage on it, it needs. I went back to the drawing board and started tucking in the edge of the tyre, getting one tab at a time closer to the rim, then instead of pushing down on the tab, I sort of pressed the original "S-Tool" (supplied with each tyre) into the tab horizontally and, applying a lot of pressure, sort of angled the tool up while pressing down really hard on the center of the tab... ah ha! They started becoming easier to snap into place and after a monumental amount of effort, the tyre was completely on.

What's the harshness like?

After seeing so many people complaining about spokes breaking, increased rolling resistance, no grip in the wet and a harsher ride, I didn't expect the tyre to be any good, but it was actually perfectly fine, on this very short 10 minute test ride.

Part of the reason the ride isn't harsh is, I have got a Suntour NCX seatpost on. With that on, I can honestly say I couldn't tell really any difference between my old Marathon Plus (60 PSI) and this Tannus solid tyre, rated at 80 PSI.

The rolling resistance?

I don't care about this because I have a motor on, I mean I'll sacrifice some battery range, go a bit slower and just put in the same effort I always do. Did I go slower? Yes... with only one of these tyres on (albeit the rear where most of the weight is) my average speed that's normally 14.9 MPH became 13.2 MPH. This wasn't a test over anything like enough of a distance, but it tells me there is some drag to these tyres, that wasn't there with the Marathon Plus. I make that almost a 13% reduction in speed. Maybe some of that is down to me riding a bit more carefully since it was the very first time out on the tyre. Also it's not going to be as accurate testing this as it would be over a good length ride like 15+ miles. I only went 2.4 miles on this ride. There is more rolling resistance but I don't care about it and knew this before I put the tyre on!

Spokes breaking?

Time will tell. Since I have a suspension seatpost on + I'm using 1.75" wide tyres + 36 spokes @ 2.5mm each then doesn't all of that help to protect my rims?

The Tannus are sold as 1.75" wide, but this one I am using is actually 1.6" wide or rather, instead of being 44.5mm wide, it's 40.5mm wide. I thought it looked a bit thinner than the Marathon Plus I still have on the front, that really is 1.75" wide.

A lot of people say they had spokes breaking when using the Tannus Aither tyres, but (apart from a Brompton) I couldn't find one single person detailing what tyre they were using when they had spokes breaking... so it's useless information to me. For all I know, these folks were running 700c wheels with 23mm tyres on "racing" rear wheels with 24 spokes. I have a feeling that is probably the case, or they were running this solid tyre on a wheel with loose NDS spokes, which if you never check, is likely on any factory built wheel that's been used for hundreds of miles already (and never checked).

Grip?

Bizarre! I was riding in the dry and while the tyre wasn't slipping, it felt strange, like it's not quite tracking properly or rather, the road surface is making it deviate from where it's rolling. A very strange feeling and it's hard to explain it, but I can live with it. I already knew before putting it on, people had said this about it.

Will I keep this tyre on?

Absolutely! I see no reason not to. The ride isn't bumpy, the drag can be handled by the motor, how grippy it is in the wet... I have yet to find out and as far as spokes breaking, I think I am on a setup where I should be OK regarding that.

The only downside I can think of is, this tyre just feels weird, it feels lifeless. Still, I'm going to leave it on and see how I do with it. I almost forgot the most important part - it's not possible to get a puncture lol.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Interesting.
Another thing to consider is Gaadi inner tubes. They won't help stop punctures, but they will make replacement or even repairs much easier.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A 12mm felt /roof tack is a one off and an unlikely event, even a car tyre would likely deflate or incur a slow puncture. Over thinking the possibilties isn't worth the the extra precautions over and above those that were already in use imv.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Part of the reason the ride isn't harsh is, I have got a Suntour NCX seatpost on. With that on, I can honestly say I couldn't tell really any difference between my old Marathon Plus (60 PSI) and this Tannus solid tyre, rated at 80 PSI.
Marathon Plus are quite harsh tyre anyway, due to the carcase and walls being stiffened by the additional thick liner, and the Tannus insert would have made that worse. So I'm not surprised you notice little or no difference.

Bizarre! I was riding in the dry and while the tyre wasn't slipping, it felt strange, like it's not quite tracking properly or rather, the road surface is making it deviate from where it's rolling. A very strange feeling and it's hard to explain it, but I can live with it. I already knew before putting it on, people had said this about it.
The reason for this odd feeling is that the tyre distortion characteristic is identical laterally and vertically. The carcase of a normal tyre is designed to resist lateral distortion to maximise stability, while allowing vertical distortion to maximise comfort.

Your tyre is allowing that vertical flexing laterally as well, thus giving a slight side to side squirming feeling. Your description of the feeling is very accurate.

Reactions: atheo and Manc44

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Cheers folks.

The one thing about having Marathon Plus and Tannus Armour was, although it didn't stop punctures (that's why I'm now on a solid tyre), when you do get one, it has to be something big enough that you're going to see it in the tyre. That means you don't have to take the inner tube out and go looking for where it is - which is 90% of the battle!

Even though I can repair that without taking the wheel off (and did twice on M+ tyres alone, then M+ with Tannus Armour which was the final straw) and even though it can be done in as little as 2 or 3 mins, I just thought if punctures can be totally eliminated, I might as well try one of these solid tyres. I mean how do I know the patch I just used is going to hold up for the next 40 miles? If you have a patched inner tube next to Tannus Armour, that armour foam stuff expands, perhaps making it easier for air to escape from the patched hole, but maybe not. The armour started off at 15mm but ended up at about 4mm for me, which put me off carrying on using it.

With the amount of weight on it, I perhaps should have got the hardest version of the solid tyre, but they aren't easy to find in the UK. Judging from how difficult the regular hardness tyre is to fit, I wouldn't wish the fitting of the hardest version on my worst enemy!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Judging from how difficult the regular hardness tyre is to fit, I wouldn't wish the fitting of the hardest version on my worst enemy!
I still remember the account of a reviewer, I think from Velovision, having a solid tyre company representative fit a pair. Apparently the rep used the biggest screwdrivers he'd ever seen as tyre levers, worrying him whether the rims would survive the force used!

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
The 26" x 1.75" is apparently one of the toughest to fit. If it was 700c and half that width, I don't think it would be anywhere near as bad.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
2nd impressions: It was perfectly fine. I think it's bedding in better now (if there is such a thing!) and the squirmy feeling either wasn't quite as bad, or I'm getting more used to it.

Since the ride isn't any more harsh and any extra rolling resistance is going to be dealt with my the motor (not me) there's no reason to swap back to pneumatic as far as I can tell. These tradeoffs don't apply to me when I have got suspension and a motor on, it's a great thing to know I won't get a puncture at the rear and it seems worth it. Only done about 12.5 miles on it up to now but it's been fine.

I intended to test out the average speed tonight but the stupid motor put itself on power level 4 (or I leant on it not realizing which is probably what happened) so the whole test was pointless.

My guess is that while I normally go 14.9 MPH on 1.75" Marathon Plus (at 60 PSI) with Tannus Armour in - I'd estimate I'm probably going about 13.5 MPH with this Tannus Aither solid tyre at the rear, so yes there is quite a big drop in speed or, increase in rolling resistance. It's about 14% going off the first short ride but I was probably taking it easy.

I still need to do a proper test over 5+ miles to get the average. My guess is it will be about 13.5 MPH which makes it about 10% slower.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Slow Bill

Just Joined
Jun 27, 2022
I have had Tannus Tyres on my Dahon Vitesse folding cycle for some time and find them great! The ride comments vary from other forums, but no punctures spoiling a one day tour is the best thing...

Reactions: Manc44

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
I have had Tannus Tyres on my Dahon Vitesse folding cycle for some time and find them great! The ride comments vary from other forums, but no punctures spoiling a one day tour is the best thing...
Yes, it's difficult at times trying to work out why they are complaining and how it might be justified in their case but not in your case. I was most worried about spokes breaking but with a suspension seatpost + the tyre being 1.6" wide + 36 spokes @ 2.5mm each... perhaps the people breaking spokes didn't have them tensioned enough, or are on 24 or 28 spoke 700c wheels with skinny versions of these tyres, there's so many variables to it.

My front rim is 16.4mm wide and with how difficult it was stuffing the (23mm internal) Tannus into my 18.2mm wide rear rim, I'm going to probably need a different front wheel if I'm going to go "fully puncture proof" but it's looking like I could do with one at the front just so the bike doesn't look weird.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Going to be putting a Tannus tyre on the front tomorrow (to add to the one already on the rear) so I'll report back here as I add miles to the tyres.

I've still only done 22 miles (on the rear only) but the ride was such that I thought I will chuck one on the front as well.

I worked out my weight distribution is about 33%/67% so if the rear tyre has taken my average speed down from 14.9 to 14.1 then perhaps an added third (or wouldn't it be half?) of that 0.8 MPH difference is going to occur, by adding a front tyre too, probably taking my average down to around 13.7 MPH.

The rolling resistance and harsher ride don't matter to me... with a motor and suspension front and rear... it's the reports of it being "like riding on ice" I'm more bothered about. I'm not a risk taker by any means, I know these tyres won't perform like normal tyres do so I plan on taking it easy, at least until that "plasticky" stuff has worn off them! Let's see if they are feasible.

Reactions: atheo

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Done about 60 miles on these up to now. Last ride was out in the rain and the grip seemed fine, but I was being really careful. It's been one thing after another and I've hardly been out riding but I plan to get a decent amount of miles on the bike soon.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
One of the things that makes me trust the Tannus tyres is, they made a deal with Specialized where their "Alibi" hybrid bike had Tannus solid tyres fitted.

Another one was "Over 160,000 bikes with airless tyres sold by Japanese brand Chacle" using these tyres. That same article says in the UK they sold 25,000 pairs in the first 2 years... surely then, that's enough users that if these were dangerous we'd already know about it. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"Over 160,000 bikes with airless tyres sold by Japanese brand Chacle" using these tyres.
I think they are safe enough, but I woudn't take the above as a recommendation. The Japanese regard a typical cycling speed as being 15 kph (9.4 mph). Much of their city cycling has to be on the pavements at below 8 mph.

A cyclist would struggle to be unsafe at those speeds !

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Much of their city cycling has to be on the pavements at below 8 mph. A cyclist would struggle to be unsafe at those speeds !
There are plenty of 8 mph cyclists in the pedestrian parts of Winchester city centre who manage quite easily to be unsafe.

Reactions: flecc