Help! Folding E-bike Brompton or Volt - for 10-20 mile commute

BettyMonaco

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2022
Hi everyone,
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I want an ebike for my commute which varies between 5 -10 miles each way, mostly on cycle paths.
I live in a flat with shared, tricky cycle parking and would prefer a foldable bike I can store in the flat for security, and also means I can occasionally get a lift home if offered!

My priority is a relatively comfortable ride I can sit up, and can cope with these longer distances.
Currently my back is a bit unhappy so won't be carrying it much.

I like the look of the Volt Metro LS but don't know much about the company. Currently priced at £1674 it is a good price.
It also has built in lights, mudguards, and 8 gears which seems a good deal.
I know the Brompton is the lightest, and has good customer service, but I am hesitant to spend the v. high price.
I don't have a car - so this would be my car. I'd like a rack, which the Volt comes with, for transporting the odd object for work and shopping.

Questions:
Does anyone know how good the Volt customer service is?
Has anyone got this Volt Metro LS, or experienced it over longer distances?
Is there another ebike for roughly £1500 that would be good alternative?

Look forward to your thoughts.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Woosh Rambletta worth a look, https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta Quite a bit cheaper than the Volt.
I don't know about Volt customer service, Woosh customer service is very good.

Reactions: IanGlasgow

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
You have a bad back. The Brompton is 5kg lighter or more than 25%.

I've got an electric Brompton, but I converted mine using the imperfect Woosh kit. Imperfect it may be, but I ended up with one for half the price of the factory one.

BettyMonaco

Jun 30, 2022
You have a bad back. The Brompton is 5kg lighter or more than 25%.

I've got an electric Brompton, but I converted mine using the imperfect Woosh kit. Imperfect it may be, but I ended up with one for half the price of the factory one.
Thanks for the suggestion - yes tempting with the price and lightness! I was reading about the Swytch kit but haven't read about Woosh kit. What are the imperfections?

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
The only folding bikes I’ve ridden are the Raleigh Stoweway and a non electric Brompton. They both ride very well. I’ve looked at a Volt Metro LS next to the Stoweway and although only a few kilograms more the Volt feel very noticeably heavier when lifting them, it also feels more unwieldy to move around when folded but it does have a larger battery and therefore range. The downside to the Raleigh is the electrics are TranzX which uses a Can-bus system effectively meaning only Raleigh dealers and spare parts can be used to service the electricals and are therefore more expensive.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Why electric? It puts quite a weight on the bike, worth it if you have hills to climb or there can be strong winds in your face. See if you can borrow a bike & do your commute run, it might not be for you, although it does get easier after a while.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've covered the conversion of my Brompton here: https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/woosh-c70-brompton-conversion.41021/ Woosh has ignored my comments regarding the battery, etc. I'm still happy with the end result, but it could be better...
I didn't ignore your comment. I did ask Andy about that at the time you posted about the Q70 kit.
Andy told me he'll check with you and I heard no more about it.
I had no problem with getting the block flush fitted on my Brompton. The bolts Andy sent with your kit may be of the wrong length. I am sorry and will remind Andy when he comes back to work on Monday.
In case anyone is curious about what we talk about here, the fitting instruction for the luggage block is on pages 6 and 7 of the manual, the two bolts should be M5x20 with domed head.

Reactions: BettyMonaco

BettyMonaco

Jun 30, 2022
The only folding bikes I’ve ridden are the Raleigh Stoweway and a non electric Brompton. They both ride very well. I’ve looked at a Volt Metro LS next to the Stoweway and although only a few kilograms more the Volt feel very noticeably heavier when lifting them, it also feels more unwieldy to move around when folded but it does have a larger battery and therefore range. The downside to the Raleigh is the electrics are TranzX which uses a Can-bus system effectively meaning only Raleigh dealers and spare parts can be used to service the electricals and are therefore more expensive.
Thank you - v. helpful

BettyMonaco

Jun 30, 2022
Why electric? It puts quite a weight on the bike, worth it if you have hills to climb or there can be strong winds in your face. See if you can borrow a bike & do your commute run, it might not be for you, although it does get easier after a while.
Good question, I do have an (old) normal hybrid bike which I do enjoy using (I have commuted before on this bike), but I need to be more careful with my joints - hence electric bike. I know I could convert my current bike but it isn't the most comfortable ride (and I'd like to have a sit/up, step through electric).

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
I didn't ignore your comment. I did ask Andy about that at the time you posted about the Q70 kit.
Andy told me he'll check with you and I heard no more about it.
I had no problem with getting the block flush fitted on my Brompton. The bolts Andy sent with your kit may be of the wrong length. I am sorry and will remind Andy when he comes back to work on Monday.
In case anyone is curious about what we talk about here, the fitting instruction for the luggage block is on pages 6 and 7 of the manual, the two bolts should be M5x20 with domed head.
You're still ignoring points 2 & 3 of that post. However, I won't deviate any more from this thread. If you want to answer my comments, please do so on the linked thread.