Options - budget around £2k, 5”4 female

Mandasaur

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2022
Hi All,

I’ve been lurking on this site for a number of months now.

I’m a (fairly!) fit and healthy 30 year old female who’s 5’4 and used to cycling a 7 year old specialized hybrid.

After trialling an electric cube at Rutland Cycling I can’t believe how fun it is and I am now very keen to get myself an Ebike and retire my old banger.

I have been scouring the forum for ideas on which bikes to go for - I mainly cycle off road, usually gentle trails, lakes, woods etc.

I’ve been checking out the crossfuse and boardman, as I can see they are very popular, but the wheels look very thin, so unsure how they would cope?

Likewise, not sure a full mountain bike setup would suit as I’m quite a leisurely cyclist (I tend to have my dog strapped to my front, so no crazy mountain biking being undertaken!)

Any recommendations much appreciated, I have looked at whoosh bikes but I seem to be too short for most of them!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Any recommendations much appreciated, I have looked at whoosh bikes but I seem to be too short for most of them!
I would recommend the Woosh Santana3 with a low profile seat post.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If your old bike suits you it may be best to convert it (e.g. with a kit from Woosh)

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Hi All,

I’m a (fairly!) fit and healthy 30 year old female who’s 5’4 and used to cycling a 7 year old specialized hybrid.

After trialling an electric cube at Rutland Cycling I can’t believe how fun it is and I am now very keen to get myself an Ebike and retire my old banger.

I have been scouring the forum for ideas on which bikes to go for - I mainly cycle off road, usually gentle trails, lakes, woods etc.

I’ve been checking out the crossfuse and boardman, as I can see they are very popular, but the wheels look very thin, so unsure how they would cope?

Likewise, not sure a full mountain bike setup would suit as I’m quite a leisurely cyclist (I tend to have my dog strapped to my front, so no crazy mountain biking being undertaken!)

Hi Mandasur would this be suitable. Like new. Genuine reason for sale,

all.
Have ladies bike for sale. Was bought in June last year from Juicy Bikes. It is a Neomouv Facelia 24" wheels and is therefore suitable for smaller lady. Bought for my wife who is 5'2. Bike is in virtually new condition having only done 142k in dry conditions on local flat trails. Battery been charged 3 or 4 times only. Selling due to health reasons. Cost 1450 when bought and I believe they are over 1500 now. Battery is 13ah. Price £1150. but will consider sensible offers. Viewing welcome

Attachments

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
My wife is 5'4" she cycles a cube hybrid one in a small trapeze size, she uses it offroad on most of our cycles. cube wheels are strong (36 spoke) and accept wide tyres 50/55mm, they have basic suspension forks which are fine for forest trails/canal towpaths etc.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Assuming the Cube bike you trialed at Rutland could have been a crank drive bike with torque sensing based system of control, and most suggestions here are using very different technologies, hub drives and cadence based control systems, my advice is try one featuring those technologies before doing anything else.
As a keen cyclist for seven decades before going to an ebike I found the crank drive with its torque sensing was way more to my liking, though any ebike on one's first exposure to them, I feel will be very seductive; initially.
Thus best try these differing technologies first, ensuring then you buy informed of how the differences suit you.

Mandasaur

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2022
Assuming the Cube bike you trialed at Rutland could have been a crank drive bike with torque sensing based system of control, and most suggestions here are using very different technologies, hub drives and cadence based control systems, my advice is try one featuring those technologies before doing anything else.
As a keen cyclist for seven decades before going to an ebike I found the crank drive with its torque sensing was way more to my liking, though any ebike on one's first exposure to them, I feel will be very seductive; initially.
Thus best try these differing technologies first, ensuring then you buy informed of how the differences suit you.
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve trialled the Halfords vengeance mountain bike (the very low level 100 model) and it gave too much power for what I’m after.

I still want to enjoy the effort, just with a little boost to take the burn off the hills!

I find most the time I either rode with the power completely off or on eco, so thinking a light Ebike that rides as normal when switched off May work best for me - but most of them tend to be road bikes or ‘hybrid’ with very thin tyres, so will go with your suggestion or trialling a few more before making any purchase :)

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Haibike Hard seven 4, available in small
Looks a nice modern bike, with a half decent level of kit. Industry leader Bosch motor/battery system.
Only down side it is not a step through(dont know how that suits) and it weighs 22.5kg - though most are heavy, its a price we have to pay.
Costs £2300

You look at something like a gravel or hybrid from Ribble - like the Urban AL e SRAM Apex Somewhat lighter at 17.5kg
It's a step through. Costs £2.5K available in small.

graywok

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2019
PO11
Hi All,

My wife is 5'5" and uses the Woosh Santana 3 with no problem at all! I even had to raise the seat to fully extend her legs at full rotation!

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh