First time wheel build

oldie1982

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2020
I have filled out the wheelpro calculator using the correct picture this time.

Can anyone confirm that is correct please?

I have also filled out the grin calculator, is that correct?

I know i am making a mistake somewhere because i get two different spoke sizes from both websites?

Attachments

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
The 'flange offset' I think is the distance by which the spoke flange is distant from the wheel centre line. You have this wrong with the 'wheelbuilder'. Be sure to measure on the actual hub.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The ERD is a strange one I would round up to 604mm.

The flange offset keeps coming up with error on Wheelpro.
The offset is only in high teens rhs or low 20s lhs but it won't have it.

This wheelpro calc has changed from when I have used it in the past so looks like in future I will use a different one.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

oldie1982

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2020
Appreciate the help people.

I think it got it now.

I used the grin video to measure my hub. I did it as best as i could.

I got the following figures when i entered it into the grin spoke calculator See picture below

Someone on another forum told me what offset to put into the wheel pro calculator.

Figures are nearly the same.

I was going to order 235mm spokes.

Attachments

oldie1982

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2020
Before my spokes arrive i have one question.

The rim that i have has every other hole closer to one side. With the wheel flat on the ground one hole is closer to the right and then the next hole is closer to the left.

With the wheel flat on the ground should i lace the drive side of the hub to the holes closer to the right of the rim?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I ordered 234mm spokes and will give an update on how i get on.
When you initially thread all the nipples on to the same place/thread on the spokes you will need to back the right side nipples off 2 full turns before proceeding to allow for those spokes being 1mm short and put them all in the correct starting place as if the spokes were the correct length, otherwise your dishing will be off to the right.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Before my spokes arrive i have one question.

The rim that i have has every other hole closer to one side. With the wheel flat on the ground one hole is closer to the right and then the next hole is closer to the left.

With the wheel flat on the ground should i lace the drive side of the hub to the holes closer to the right of the rim?
Yes, spoke holes are offset so as noticed every other one.
One laces as you have mentioned, the spokes on the drive side to the offset hole on the same side on the rim.

On #40 in the thread below I listed two wheel lacing tutorials to follow both are very good and show you correctly how to do so visually so much easier I found then following written examples. The great thing is one can pause at any stage.
Lightweight rear hub kit | Pedelecs - Electric Bike Community

Last edited:

oldie1982

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2020
Yes, spoke holes are offset so as noticed every other one.
One laces as you have mentioned, the spokes on the drive side to the offset hole on the same side on the rim.

Much appreciated

On #40 in the thread below I listed two wheel lacing tutorials to follow both are very good and show you correctly how to do so visually so much easier I found then following written examples. The great thing is one can pause at any stage.
Lightweight rear hub kit | Pedelecs - Electric Bike Community

oldie1982

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2020
Managed to lace the hub using the following video. It helped a lot and im useless at this sort of thing.

i could not get the wheel round so started again and used the following video.

It made it so easy to true and round the wheel.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Managed to lace the hub using the following video. It helped a lot and im useless at this sort of thing.

i could not get the wheel round so started again and used the following video.

It made it so easy to true and round the wheel.
I left out a step when I trued a wheel last week, and now it's slightly wonky again - after final tightening, it helps to loosen a fraction of a turn... otherwise the twist in the spoke caused by tightening can twist back, turning the nipple with use. Brass (to an extent) is self-lubricating, which is why it's used to make locks. My previous truing, when I did remember to do this, lasted months. Spoke twist turning nipples in use, might not be as much of an issue on larger wheels perhaps - mine's a 20" - it's something that otherwise excellent video left out.