Restricted vs De-Restricted Haibike 6

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Having been away from Electric Bikes for a number of years I recently purchased a Haibike 6 i630 Mid Trekking. Notched up a quick 500 kilometres on this with very little ease in the first 2 weeks on my daily 50 kilometre / 31 mile commute to work and back. Given that I average on the restricted bike 25.4 kph 15.8mph the trip normally takes me 59 minutes. After de-restricting the bike I wanted to find out how long it would take me and I completed the same journey length in 44 minutes. Average 33.8kph 20.88 mph. I was pretty much pedalling as fast as possible for me in top gear where possible.

Having now done the journey both ways the bike has immediately been returned to factory settings.

Did I enjoy the extra speed ? A little bit but the concentration required to ride at the high speeds (25 - 30m mph) was stressful.

Did I enjoy the journey ? No the journey is far more pleasant riding at restricted speeds and taking the time to relax and enjoy the surroundings.

Was the 15 minutes saved worth it ? No its that simple - I did not get time to think or enjoy it - its not for me. it felt like a race the whole time.

Battery Performance - Normally I use 16% - De-restricted I used 39% WOW !!!!!!!!!!!! That's a massive loss for little gain.

Should the speed limit on e bikes be raised. ? Maybe ? I think 32kph 20 mph would be a good level but would be happy to see 30kph and 18.6 mph just as well.

Will do a full review on my Haibike after 1000 miles is notched up but I am loving it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having been away from Electric Bikes for a number of years I recently purchased a Haibike 6 i630 Mid Trekking. Notched up a quick 500 kilometres on this with very little ease in the first 2 weeks on my daily 50 kilometre / 31 mile commute to work and back. Given that I average on the restricted bike 25.4 kph 15.8mph the trip normally takes me 59 minutes. After de-restricting the bike I wanted to find out how long it would take me and I completed the same journey length in 44 minutes. Average 33.8kph 20.88 mph. I was pretty much pedalling as fast as possible for me in top gear where possible.

Having now done the journey both ways the bike has immediately been returned to factory settings.

Did I enjoy the extra speed ? A little bit but the concentration required to ride at the high speeds (25 - 30m mph) was stressful.

Did I enjoy the journey ? No the journey is far more pleasant riding at restricted speeds and taking the time to relax and enjoy the surroundings.

Was the 15 minutes saved worth it ? No its that simple - I did not get time to think or enjoy it - its not for me. it felt like a race the whole time.

Battery Performance - Normally I use 16% - De-restricted I used 39% WOW !!!!!!!!!!!! That's a massive loss for little gain.

Should the speed limit on e bikes be raised. ? Maybe ? I think 32kph 20 mph would be a good level but would be happy to see 30kph and 18.6 mph just as well.

Will do a full review on my Haibike after 1000 miles is notched up but I am loving it.
Thanks for a very sensible appraisal of the gains and losses with higher speeds Larry.

And of course there is a very real safety gain with the lower speeds. Less likelyhood of a driver misjudging your cycling approach speed and suddenly pulling out in front of you.

And if that does happen, more time to slow or stop so less chance of going over the handlebars and suffering injuries.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
and not having that nagging thought in the back of your mind of in the event of an accident you'd also be in a whole world of legal trouble...

Reactions: RichLarry and flecc

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Thanks for a very sensible appraisal of the gains and losses with higher speeds Larry.

And of course there is a very real safety gain with the lower speeds. Less likelyhood of a driver misjudging your cycling approach speed and suddenly pulling out in front of you.

And if that does happen, more time to slow or stop so less chance of going over the handlebars and suffering injuries.
Absolutely 100% agree with that

Reactions: flecc

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
and not having that nagging thought in the back of your mind of in the event of an accident you'd also be in a whole world of legal trouble...
Yes a major plus point ! It was an interesting experiment that proved all those points.

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London

Given that the minimum speed limit on the roads we're forced to share with vehicles is typically 20mph, and that many cyclists can go 20mph on a normal bike, it's insane that ebikes aren't even allowed to reach the lowest speed limit.

In my considerable experience of ebiking on the roads of London, 20mph is much much safer because you're keeping up with traffic flow rather than impeding it.

Anyone who thinks 15.5mph is acceptable is plain wrong, sorry. It's a nonsensical limitation.

20mph would also get more people on ebikes, reducing car use, reducing pollution and congestion.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
In my considerable experience of ebiking on the roads of London, 20mph is much much safer because you're keeping up with traffic flow rather than impeding it.
I wouldn't repeat that to the Judge lol

Reactions: RichLarry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anyone who thinks 15.5mph is acceptable is plain wrong, sorry. It's a nonsensical limitation.
The great majority of the world disagrees, 25 kph (15.5mph) being the only widespread standard for pedelec assist speed limit.

20mph would also get more people on ebikes, reducing car use, reducing pollution and congestion.
Again this doesn't fit the facts. The highest density of pedelecs is by far in countries where cyclists often travel at at far below 25 kph,

The mistake you are making is calling them e-bikes. They are not, they are EAPCs, electric assist pedal cycles, just bicycles with some assistance to help with adverse conditions like hills and headwinds.

If you want an e-bike you can have one, just buy an S class e-bike. With that you can have the motor helping to 45 kph (28mph) and as a bonus have a motor of up to 500 watts rating to maintain such speeds. Then you'll really be able to keep up with the traffic.

Snag is you'll have to register it, have a rear number plate, insurance, a suitable driving licence and ride with a helmet. That is almost universal, since motor vehicles start at 25 kph in law almost everywhere, and why that is our highest speed allowed. Anything above that as you propose is a motor vehicle with everything that implies, and that is not going to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichLarry

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0165_02.JPG

you dont need a sclass motor there all the same inside with a 20a controller the only difference is the speed limit set buy the software or how do you think i can hit those speeds.

plus try find a mtb with a sclass motor as you wont find many and a dongle will be faster anyway.

down side is it nukes the batts range to half and if you crash it will be a hospital job.

and im still not dead :p

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Given that the minimum speed limit on the roads we're forced to share with vehicles is typically 20mph, and that many cyclists can go 20mph on a normal bike, it's insane that ebikes aren't even allowed to reach the lowest speed limit.

I get some of your points but you are in London and i'm in the middle arse of nowhere on very tiny one vehicle country lanes with twist turns potholes grass growing in the middle and dirt and shingle intermittently at any time and cars coming at you of up to 60mph because the speed limit on most country lanes is crazily still 60mph ! The main road next to the country lanes has a speed limit of 50mph ! 15.5mph is about all you want to be doing !!! Personally I would like to see all country lanes limited to 30mph and all towns villages and cities limited to 20mph for cars.

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
View attachment 48485

you dont need a sclass motor there all the same inside with a 20a controller the only difference is the speed limit set buy the software or how do you think i can hit those speeds.

plus try find a mtb with a sclass motor as you wont find many and a dongle will be faster anyway.

down side is it nukes the batts range to half and if you crash it will be a hospital job.

AND SIX POINTS ON YOUR LICENCE AND A £300 FINE IF YOUR LUCKY ‍♂

and im still not dead :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I get some of your points but you are in London and i'm in the middle arse of nowhere on very tiny one vehicle country lanes with twist turns potholes grass growing in the middle and dirt and shingle intermittently at any time and cars coming at you of up to 60mph because the speed limit on most country lanes is crazily still 60mph ! The main road next to the country lanes has a speed limit of 50mph ! 15.5mph is about all you want to be doing !!! Personally I would like to see all country lanes limited to 30mph and all towns villages and cities limited to 20mph for cars.
I'm in London and agree with you, but much of my cycling has been in the country lanes of Surrey and Kent which are often as dangerous as yours.

The claim we often see that if pedelecs had a 20 mph assist limit they could keep up with the traffic is a myth, because almost all drivers interpret the 20 limit as being much faster. My large borough is almost entirely 20 limited with only the through roads having a 30 limit. So the common car speeds, including the routine police patrols, are up to 28 mph on 20 limit roads and up to 38 mph on 30 limit roads.

graywok

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2019
PO11
Don't forget that most car or van drivers "must get in front." When I 'tank along' ( haha) at over 15 mph they seem to misjudge the distance required and cause an issue if another vehicle appears in the opposing lane.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Ah, I see.

So the only people who are right, are those that agree with you ?

What do you do about all the people (the majority ?) who have the 'wrong' view ?

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
On my tweaked Haibike I average about 17-19mph, depending on the route I take. One route is mainly urban roads and a shared path. On that route I rein in the power settings, but on the rural route, I'll happily trundle along at 24mph when the gearing run out. It's a matter of common sense really. Car drivers in town don't expect you to be approaching them too quickly, so it's self-preservation to slow down.