Wisper Tailwind rear hub bearings

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
Hi All,
Is there anyone who had had experience in servicing the rear hub on a Wisper Tailwind and possibly explain how it is done?

Thanks in advance

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi All,
Is there anyone who had had experience in servicing the rear hub on a Wisper Tailwind and possibly explain how it is done?

Thanks in advance
Hi Sparky,

What in the motor are you concerned about. It shouldn’t need servicing.

All the best, David

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
Hello again David,
Thanks for your reply.
It may just be me but I feel it is not running as smoothly as before. I have attached a couple of photos of the motor. Unfortunately, I have unable to upload a video to give you a better idea of how it sounds.

Regards
Mark

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello again David,
Thanks for your reply.
It may just be me but I feel it is not running as smoothly as before. I have attached a couple of photos of the motor. Unfortunately, I have unable to upload a video to give you a better idea of how it sounds.

Regards
Mark
What do you mean by " not running smoothly"?

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
Sounds to me like the bearings are running dry and wondering if there is something I can do to service the hub. I have had the cassette off and given it a clean and lube. I would like to know how to get the freehub off to give that a clean and lube.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
A rough running motor is very likely to be a dodgy motor connection. If one phase is resistive it can make the motor sound and feel like a bag of nails. It does a really effective impersonation of a mechanical fault.
Check the motor plug is fully home, up to the line marked on the barrel. There may well be phase connectors at the controller, check these for any signs of heat damage.
As David says it is not likely to be the motor.

Reactions: sparky967

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How many miles ?
Bearing do wear in hubs, it's not unreasonable to have a bad bearing now and then.

If the bike is under warranty then Wisper would service/repair.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bearing to most likely fail or become noisy is the end housing bearing usually on the LHS , to get at it one has to remove the motor core to remove the bearing.

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
How many miles ?
Bearing do wear in hubs, it's not unreasonable to have a bad bearing now and then.

If the bike is under warranty then Wisper would service/repair.
I have completed 2,900 miles. I have already had to change the bottom bracket, which makes me concerned about the rear hub bearings.

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
The bearing to most likely fail or become noisy is the end housing bearing usually on the LHS , to get at it one has to remove the motor core to remove the bearing.
Yeh, thought so. Just wanted to know the method of access to the bearing.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have completed 2,900 miles. I have already had to change the bottom bracket, which makes me concerned about the rear hub bearings.
Motor bearings should last ten times that. You still haven't been specific about what you experienced. When the bearings are worn, you can see the side to side play in the rim. If the bearings go rusty or dry, you can feel it when you rotate the wheel forwards by hand. If you had bouts of rasping noise and feel, it's an electrical connection issue, which is normally caused by the motor connector not pushed in all the way to the line.

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
Motor bearings should last ten times that. You still haven't been specific about what you experienced. When the bearings are worn, you can see the side to side play in the rim. If the bearings go rusty or dry, you can feel it when you rotate the wheel forwards by hand. If you had bouts of rasping noise and feel, it's an electrical connection issue, which is normally caused by the motor connector not pushed in all the way to the line.
There is a slight grinding/gnarly noise from the hub wilst rotating. I have tried to upload a clip but my file does not have an allowed extension, haven't got a clue what that means

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With both my Bafang BPM and CST , the bearings needed changing due to roughness in rotation. BPM less then 2k miles and CST a bit after 3k miles.

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
My attention was drawn to ithe hub noise after the bottom bracket collapsed and I had to change it.
Chain alignment and gear change is fine, the noise can be heard during freewheeling.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My attention was drawn to ithe hub noise after the bottom bracket collapsed and I had to change it.
Chain alignment and gear change is fine, the noise can be heard during freewheeling.
Did you remove the brake caliper to eliminate it as the cause, and check that the rack or mudguard isn't rubbing. The last time we had this, it was a bolt on the rack.

sparky967

Pedelecer
May 13, 2023
I have had the wheel off this evening and the noise that I am hearing is coming from the freehub.
Any tips on how this can be removed ?

Advertisers