£1500 to spend on a new ebike - what would you buy

worto03

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2021
Hi all,

Our work scheme runs throughout Sept when I can buy a bike for up to £1500 (interest free for a year and pre-tax) but I can't top it up to spend any more so £1500 is an absolute limit.

It'll be used on dirt paths, towpath type ground and also road commuting but quite small commutes (5 miles).

It will also need to be in stock at some point in Sept, I've found this one, any opinions on if there is something much better for the money and if this one is any good or not?

Carrera Crossfire E Mens Electric Hybrid Bike 2.0

Thanks,
Worto.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hi all,

Our work scheme runs throughout Sept when I can buy a bike for up to £1500 (interest free for a year and pre-tax) but I can't top it up to spend any more so £1500 is an absolute limit.

It'll be used on dirt paths, towpath type ground and also road commuting but quite small commutes (5 miles).

It will also need to be in stock at some point in Sept, I've found this one, any opinions on if there is something much better for the money and if this one is any good or not?

Carrera Crossfire E Mens Electric Hybrid Bike 2.0

Thanks,
Worto.
Don't want to put you off this bike, but the first gen version was prob. the single most problematic bike I have ever read about. 18 months or so ago, it seemed like every other post on here was from someone with an electrical problem with their Carrera Crossfire. Having said that, this is the 2nd gen and I've not read much at all about this bike, so hopefully Suntour have sorted the problems with the system. It is also worth pointing out Halfrauds have prob sold 10's of thousands of these bikes and I'm sure there are many fault free bikes out there. It is in fact a pretty good bike, offers good value and has a fairly strong motor. Also the after sales service from Halfrauds can be a postcode lottery, varing wildly from shop to shop. If you need to buy a bike in September, then it will be a case of what's available, rather than getting the bike you want, with stock being very low or non existent with a lot of suppliers. Have a look around your local shops and have a test ride of as many bikes as you can in your price range would be my advise.

Reactions: worto03

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That one is not bad when it works, but has a poor reliability record. You'd be better with something from Woosh, but not sure if they can get it to you in time.

worto03

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2021
Don't want to put you off this bike, but the first gen version was prob. the single most problematic bike I have ever read about. 18 months or so ago, it seemed like every other post on here was from someone with an electrical problem with their Carrera Crossfire. Having said that, this is the 2nd gen and I've not read much at all about this bike, so hopefully Suntour have sorted the problems with the system. It is also worth pointing out Halfrauds have prob sold 10's of thousands of these bikes and I'm sure there are many fault free bikes out there. It is in fact a pretty good bike, offers good value and has a fairly strong motor. Also the after sales service from Halfrauds can be a postcode lottery, varing wildly from shop to shop. If you need to buy a bike in September, then it will be a case of what's available, rather than getting the bike you want, with stock being very low or non existent with a lot of suppliers. Have a look around your local shops and have a test ride of as many bikes as you can in your price range would be my advise.
Thanks, good to know, I've never bought a bike from Halfords but was trying to avoid them after a few car based experiences, like you've mentioned though I can't find much in stock at most other places at the mo, only looked online so far, I guess I'll have to actually leave the house and go to some local shops, I just like to do a fair amount of research into things which is easier online. Will do some digging into v1 to v2 changes as well.

worto03

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2021
That one is not bad when it works, but has a poor reliability record. You'd be better with something from Woosh, but not sure if they can get it to you in time.
Is there something on Woosh you'd recommend, I'll check the policy, it may be that as long as I place the order in Sept it's OK. Maybe I don't actually have to take delivery in Sept.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gran-camino looks suitable and claims delivery end September. Their website sometimes gets a bit out of date, but I'm sure they'll be very helpful if you ring, and also give advice on suitability.