£270 Bike

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I went shopping in Calais yesterday and came across this in the Carrefour supermarket at Cite Europ. (See Here)

I'm no expert and I'm sure everybody will rubbish it but as you can see many of the parts are Shimano. The thing looks solidly put together - but most of all I thought the price remarkable.

Incidentally, when I lived in France a while back, I bought an 18 (Shimano) gear mountain bike in LeClerc supermarket in Bayeux. It was to be used as a hack to save my 'proper' bike.

Five years later, I was still using the supermarket special, nothing breaking and the only maintenance was gear adjustment, new brake blocks, the usual. To be honest, I couldn't tell it from any other bike at 3 times the price. And I flogged it on eBay for £45 after I got back to the UK.........

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Interesting.

Quite frankly if that is a Lithium battery I am not sure you can go far wrong at that price :eek:

Regards

Jerry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not much wrong with that, very much like the original Lafree with lead-acid, but neater.

It's a great price and replacing the batteries will be dirt cheap. The style makes it easy to clean too. Only downsides are that it will weigh about 35 kilos and be a bit slow, but well worth buying for basic transport.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey.....Looks decent enough for the money

I was there yesterday myself, never looked at the bikes......as they dont stock Wisper lol

Last edited:

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Only downsides are that it will weigh about 35 kilos and be a bit slow, but well worth buying for basic transport.
Its listed as 29 kilos, still heavy but quite a bargain.
You could almost buy 2 of these for the cost of 1 Kalkhoff 18ah battery, that puts it in perspective :eek:

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for the heads up Lemmy! :)

The lithium ones are not much more expensive.

I looked on the FAQ's and used google translate - here are two things that concern me in French and googles usual slightly-off translation (anyone here speak fluent French to translate it properly?):

ORIGINAL FRENCH:

Puis-je avoir une selle plus large ?
Vous pouvez, cependant vous perdrez probablement le système de bascule de la selle (permettant d'accéder à la batterie): il est difficile de trouver une selle de type basculante dans le commerce traditionnel de cycle, à ce jour nous n'en vendons pas en accessoires.

Je n'ai pas trouvé le jeu de clefs pour verrouiller la batterie, comment faire ?
Il est impossible que le jeu de clef manque au déballage du carton car il est très fermement maintenu par un serre-clip en plastique au guidon et fait l'objet d'un contrôle spécifique en fin de fabrication.
Dans l'hypothèse où il viendrait à manquer, il ne pourrait donc que s'agir d'une erreur du magasin, insistez donc pour qu'il le retrouve ou vous propose une solution de rechange.

GOOGLE TRANSLATED IT AS:Can I get a wider saddle?
You can, however you will probably lose the system moves from the saddle (to access the battery) it is difficult to find a saddle-like dump in the traditional business cycle, to date we do not sell accessories.

I have not found a set of keys to lock the battery, how?
It is impossible that the game lacks key out of the box as it is very firmly held by a plastic clip clamps the handlebar and is subject to specific checks for defects.
In the event that it would fail, it could therefore be a mistake of the store, therefore insists that the finds or offers an alternative.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

Re the Saddle - what does that mean? You can't change the saddle without compromising the electric system?

Re the battery not having locks: what about theft when leaving your bike?

Maintainance: for someone non technical like me, will electric bike shops in the UK (or any bike shops) be able to maintain a french bike? I don't do 'technical' unfortunately.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Nooooooo....you loose the facility of easy tipping of saddle to extract battery if you fit a different seat that is all...I think!

I read it that the KEYS for the lock should be with it, and if not talk to the supplying shop?

I dont speak any French either:p

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi PennyFarthing

Don't worry about servicing its a good excuse to go back on a beer and wine trip

the wide saddle tips forward to remove the battery

new battery 279 Euro Good price could carry a spare to increase range

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Great. However, I lead a very hectic life I wouldn't want to travel to France to get my bike fixed - especially as it might take a week or so (no time for extra holidays before you all make wonderful suggestions....LOL). So would it possible for bike shops to mend/maintain a french bike?

Also, what is the difference with this bike vs. the cheap nasty chinese imports people discuss on this forum?

Regarding weight allowed on bike:

Charge autorisée
Le poids total autorisé pour le cycliste est de 90
Kg.
Le poids total autorisé pour les bagages est de
10 Kg.
Le poids total autorisé en charge (VAE, cycliste
et bagages) est d’environ 124 Kg.
Translates in Google to:

The total weight allowed for the cyclist is 90
Kg
The total weight allowed for luggage is
10 Kg
The maximum permissible gross laden weight (VAE, cyclist
and luggage) is about 124 Kg

So if my calculations are correct (??) the rider must be no more than 14 stone (that's me out then....ahem...) but total weight incl. luggage must be no more than 19 stone (that's plenty for me). Is that correct?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, bike items can be fixed by e-bike shops here, though spares like the motor's internal gears can be a problem in the longer term if it's not an SB motor. At that price longer term justifies the ultimate use of a skip! There is always a risk with cheap bikes, but at this price the risk is low.

It is a cheap Chinese junk* bike, but if used casually it could provide a few years of trouble free riding, but I wouldn't recommend it for daily longish commuting. Range will probably be on the short side, probably anything from 12 to 20 miles, depending on your weight and the terrain. Batteries will need to be changed at anything between 1 and 2 years usually, but costing only a fraction of lithium ones.

I wouldn't buy the lithium batteried model since a replacement battery will probably not be available when needed. The lead-acid ones are not a problem, there will probably be two standard lead-acid batteries in the box which are freely available and can easily be changed.

* i.e. cheap components and little quality control in assembly. That's not a problem normally since bikes are easily set up properly after delivery.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about the permitted weight, I've never known of anyone breaking a bike through being over to specified weight limit.

Last edited:

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for that Flecc. I don't want to spend money on something that will end up as junk after a few years.

I googled for info on the Roma (coz I like the look of it) and this forum came up in French. I used the tranlsation again and this interesting and potentially very useful, albeit horrific, info came up (excuse some weird translations):

I would lay my question or the Paris region to take this case to 349 euros, called or visited western Paris in Auteuil and anything fun or you just told me they were withdrawn from sale
but why the greencity were good vae (vae = electric bike)

Marcel, 10 msg, 63. Paris (FR-75).
Alert [107552]

Steph31
07-01-2011 at 9:02
Bonjour for having used the Roma, this bike is a horror in operation, the only help is to start really small and then a lot must ride a conventional bike forward a little and reach 23Km / H.: grr:
Madrid compared the lead even if he works well over 4kg better assistance.

Anonymous, 11 msg (FR-31).
Alert [115318]

Mitchoupi
08-01-2011 at 7:11
We are 2 teachers with 2 vae: 1 Cyclowatt ® object of complete satisfaction and an greencity which experienced setbacks long and was finally repaired and running again perfectly

A colleague who had tried our 2 vae acquired any recent Greencity described above to 349 Lithium 5 amps and actually found it after returning from our model Greencity (oldest and battery lead 8 amps) that the new engine is far too low in power

at last she was reluctant to make because what other vae worthy of that name between 300 and 600 euros? she wanted to order a lithium Cyclowatt ® 8 amps but the Parisian importer has clearly refused to engage in the Alpes Maritimes

Can move to Flying-cat ®, which seems to have a distributor in Nice
We read about this brand more good than bad comments on your forum

Anonymous, 6 msg (FR).
Alert [115420]

Advertisement
08-01-2011 at 7:11

Steph31
08-01-2011 at 09:19 AM
Exactly the same conclusion as me about this Greencity Roma, I returned the same day making this bike.
So I visited at length on various sites but also several EAV testing, a good value for money and here are my findings in urban use:
The Specials Elops 7 499 euros for decathlon at excellent value for money.
The Carlina home veleix boost function with its startup but at a price a little high for my taste! 1000 euros.
In the area of ​​the occasion, and Libercity easybike are very good bike with excellent assistance, opportunities currently in the range of 500 euros.
Very disappointed with the assistance of so-called high cycling brands such as Giant, Matra, by cons good finish overall.
Here are some links: Easybike www.libercity.fr : nom de domaine enregistré au Mailclub - Registrar Icann, Afnic, Eurid
Good road at all.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
(So I guess you get what you pay for!!).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, low powered and low performance as expected, inevitable with a heavy lead acid powered 24 volt system.

However, there are still loads of e-bikes like this which can trundle around at about 12 mph or so and if used on moderate terrain can be useful for the odd shopping and social trips. I remember when they were all like this a couple of decades ago, and the assist limit used to be 12 mph in Britain at one time.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
but the Roma is lithium battery and that is what they are discussing, I think.....

D

Deleted member 4366

I wouldn't worry too much about the rider weight. They only put that in for when a lardy tub (like me) jumps off the kurb and breaks the frame so that they don't have to pay waranty.
If you're interested in the cheap lithium one (the Roma), did you notice that it has a very low power motor? - 110w ugh!!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Thats ok, buy two bikes and have a dual setup ;-)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
but the Roma is lithium battery and that is what they are discussing, I think.....
Thanks, I didn't pick up on that. It really is extremely low powered, scarcely worth bothering with, though low power like that does make for longer lithium battery life.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
thanks for the heads up
Well, well! I had expected the verdict to be RUBBISH! I wondered at the price if it could be all bad but some things are expensive at any price.

I speak French - the stuff that people have said here re the spec (I hadn't looked at it myself) is as they say it is.

From the specs, the battery is an 8ah lead/ acid, 24v, the max load on the carrier is 10kg and overall for the bike 110kg. It will take 300 charging cycles and takes 7 to 8 hours to charge. Range is 30km - but in forums people seem to say that they expect more like 25km.

One person complains about the range - they live in Alpes-Maritimes! - that made me chuckle. The motor is described as 24v 250w brushless. The battery is removable and lockable.

Re the saddle, it says yes, you can replace it but it must have a tilting mechanism like the one fitted or you cannot get at the battery. They say that, to date, they have not found another one that will do this.

The locking battery, someone has complained that they could not find the keys to the battery lock. The reply is that the key and spares are firmly clipped in during packaging for despatch by the manufacturer and are specifically checked for their presence before sending out from the factory.

You will either have to find them or organise an exchange via the manufacturer since it cannot be an error by the shop. (The French are rather more robust in their dealings with one another than the English are).

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I wouldn't worry too much about the rider weight. They only put that in for when a lardy tub (like me) jumps off the kurb and breaks the frame so that they don't have to pay waranty.
If you're interested in the cheap lithium one (the Roma), did you notice that it has a very low power motor? - 110w ugh!!

Ah, thanks for that clarification re weight and frame breakage. I was thinking more along the lines of me buckling the wheels! :eek: :eek:

Ah, now I didn't notice the very low power motor and have to admit I didn't realise I had to look at things like that. So I am willing to learn - what exactly does that mean, please?

Yours, the green (as in naive) wanna-be green (as in eco) wobbly cyclist