£5k to spend

davidmotox

Just Joined
May 12, 2017
Manchester
Hi Guys,
New newbie user here..
I am willing to spend £5k on an ebike - what would you buy and why?
I like the look of the Levo and Haibike range but the speeds look un-enlightening.. Im an ex Motox rider (amateur). I cant seem to find anywhere in the Uk that sells the 350w Haibike.
I want a bike that will do 30mph and is full suspension.I will take the gamble with the law....
I have just read post about being able to chip these motors (great news)- so my thoughts and budget might change after that.
Any advice is welcome..
thanks,
David

Reactions: Paul smith

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Hi Guys,
New newbie user here..
I like the look of the Levo and Haibike range but the speeds look un-enlightening.. Im an ex Motox rider (amateur). I cant seem to find anywhere in the Uk that sells the 350w Haibike.
I want a bike that will do 30mph and is full suspension.I will take the gamble with the law....
I have just read post about being able to chip these motors (great news)- so my thoughts and budget might change after that.
Any advice is welcome..
thanks,
David
You want 30mph? Just pedal harder.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can go 30mph if you have a dongle ;)

• Agree

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Hi, I'm an ex am moto x racer too and I've never felt the need for more than the legal motor. You will be getting your adrenaline kick on the downhill sections mainly. 50+ mph is attainable if you're brave! On the flat technical trails a dongled bike won't be any advantage for controlling the bike. I'm assuming you're going to be off road? The only advantage (speed dongle) I can see for you is the fact you'll be able to get to the good bits on the uphill a bit quicker? I use this part of riding to improve my fitness.
I'd be looking for a bike with the best suspension. My Haibike has 150mm front and back and I think that's the minimum requirement? Feel free to contact me if you need any advise.
Good luck with you're choice.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Any advice is welcome..
split your budget somewhere in the middle, spend £4k on a Haibike for off roading and £1k on my Woosh Rio MTB for the rest.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and IR772

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
split your budget somewhere in the middle, spend £4k on a Haibike for off roading and £1k on my Woosh Rio MTB for the rest.
He never gives up does he.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF and LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

The only advantage (speed dongle) I can see for you is the fact you'll be able to get to the good bits on the uphill a bit quicker?
If I've understood you correctly, you're saying that the dongle will get you up the hill quicker. It won't because it doesn't increase the power. It only releases the speed limit. You'd be lucky to reach the speed limit going up-hill off-road. I'd be surprised if you'd get much help from a dongle for proper off-road riding, though it would probably get you to and from the trails more quickly. that's if you ride to them.

davidmotox, you need to explain a bit more what you're expecting this bike to do and what you mean by 30 mph. If you're expecting an electric bicycle to go around a motorX circuit, you're going to be disappointed. You'd need to ramp up your budget to about double if that's what you want. Do you mean something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stealth-B52-Electric-Mountain-Bike-5-2KW-50Mph-Black-/142365011402?hash=item21259dadca:g:SK8AAOSwdjNZAv7-

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Excuse my ignorance 'cause I haven't tried a emtb with a dongle. My reference is that I can get to an assisted 16 mph on some uphill trails, so assumed I'd be able to go over 16 if that (dongled) assistance is helped to 30mph?

D

Deleted member 4366

It depends on your weight your fitness and what you mean by a hill.

If the rider and bike together weigh 100kg, you need 833 watts to go up a 10% hill at 25 km/h. A Bosch motor can give about 600watts max, so that leaves 233 for you. A fit person could sustain that, but to go 30 km/h up the hill, you'd have to provide 400W, which can be done for a very short climb. maybe professional athletes could sustain that.

What's your weight and level of cycling fitness?

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
..oooff..5k to blow...I bought a lapierre fs 500..3 grand (2016)..if I had another k..i,d buy 2 more of em..got a dongle fitted...they only useful when on the flat..wouldn,t be without it though..shop around mate..worlds your lobster..fancied a levo myself but read on here there some peeps having problems with the motor cutting out an wot not..wouldn,t touch em now...

Reactions: Rouge Rider

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
I'd be looking at the new flx bike. I've got the 1st version and lovin it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
D

Deleted member 4366

I cant seem to find anywhere in the Uk that sells the 350w Haibike.
The 350w one is exactly the same as the 250w one. The only difference is the speed limit, so 250W Haibike + Dongle = 350W Haibike.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Hi Guys,
New newbie user here..
Any advice is welcome..
thanks,
David
Emtb magazine, the latest issue (free) has test of 11 £5k MTBs.

http://ebike-mtb.com/en/

For MTBing 15mph cutoff is not an issue. Climbing it will be terrain that keeps you <15mph. Downhill, keep off the brakes.
On flats look around and enjoy the outdoors.

• Agree
Reactions: IR772

davidmotox

Just Joined
May 12, 2017
Manchester
thanks for all the replies...having a read through.
I wont be using it like you guys probably...i just want something decent.
Would love the B52 or this new F37 from Stealth but my Mrs would kill me.