1000 miles done on Crossfuse E

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
well i got the bike from halfords , and have been taking it back there for servicing etc ,

i clean the chain and cassette etc about once a week , and i do 100ish miles a week , i wonder if i should be doing it more.
I used to do a much higher mileage than that. I never cleaned my chains and I rarely lubricated them either. I never had to replace a chain nor a sprocket. The bikes did around 2000 miles each before they were replaced with the next project. My present bike has done 6000 miles, and I replaced the chain once.

As I said, I oil the chain using hypoid 90 gear oil when it starts to sound rough, which will be after whenever I ride it in the rain, otherwise about once a month or two. I use the cheapest chains, so it's not worth doing any more than that, i.e. total chain cost in 5 years and 6000 miles is £8.

My hub-motor is similar to yours, so you should expect similar to what I get.

You have to remember that bike shops make their money out of selling stuff. You take your bike in because the shifting isn’t right. Normally, it can be fixed by simple adjustments that take minutes to do, but I guarantee that they'll tell you that you need a new chain and cassette plus fitting cost. If you challenge them, they'll put a chain gauge on the chain, but I almost guarantee that if you've used any chain for a week, it'll fail the test. Likewise, they'll point out the shark's teeth on your cassette, conveniently forgetting to mention that they're supposed to be like that.

Everybody has their favourite way of looking after their chain. When I had a motorbike, I bought two new chains for it. Every 500 miles I swapped them, cleaned the one I took off by soaking and shaking in parafin, then I boiled it in the chain grease to make it ready for the next change. That made zero measurable difference to the life of the chains or sprockets compared with an odd squirt of hypoid 90.

Maybe if you have hideously expensive sprockets and chain, it might be worth it, but for what you have, it isn't.

PeterMaslin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2019
I used to do a much higher mileage than that. I never cleaned my chains and I rarely lubricated them either. I never had to replace a chain nor a sprocket. The bikes did around 2000 miles each before they were replaced with the next project. My present bike has done 6000 miles, and I replaced the chain once.

As I said, I oil the chain using hypoid 90 gear oil when it starts to sound rough, which will be after whenever I ride it in the rain, otherwise about once a month or two. I use the cheapest chains, so it's not worth doing any more than that, i.e. total chain cost in 5 years and 6000 miles is £8.

My hub-motor is similar to yours, so you should expect similar to what I get.

You have to remember that bike shops make their money out of selling stuff. You take your bike in because the shifting isn’t right. Normally, it can be fixed by simple adjustments that take minutes to do, but I guarantee that they'll tell you that you need a new chain and cassette plus fitting cost. If you challenge them, they'll put a chain gauge on the chain, but I almost guarantee that if you've used any chain for a week, it'll fail the test. Likewise, they'll point out the shark's teeth on your cassette, conveniently forgetting to mention that they're supposed to be like that.

Everybody has their favourite way of looking after their chain. When I had a motorbike, I bought two new chains for it. Every 500 miles I swapped them, cleaned the one I took off by soaking and shaking in parafin, then I boiled it in the chain grease to make it ready for the next change. That made zero measurable difference to the life of the chains or sprockets compared with an odd squirt of hypoid 90.

Maybe if you have hideously expensive sprockets and chain, it might be worth it, but for what you have, it isn't.
hmm ok , i wonder if its the oil i am using , i am just using Muk Off dry and wet lube for different situations , perhaps that is whats wrong ,

you are probably right , im probably too trusting of bike shops :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
hmm ok , i wonder if its the oil i am using , i am just using Muk Off dry and wet lube for different situations , perhaps that is whats wrong ,

you are probably right , im probably too trusting of bike shops :)
I tried some of these modern lubricants because everybody was ranting about them on various forums. The White Lightening accumulated in my derailleur along with a load of grit to make a nice grinding paste. It took me ages to cean it all out. The other stuff made zero difference as far as I could tell. Take my advice and give your chain a squirt of hypoid 90 every time you hear it starting to grind. If you don't beat the 2000 miles that you got from your last chain, I will personally buy you a new one. That's as long as you keep your bike away from bike shops.

PeterMaslin

Aug 29, 2019
cool stuff do you have a link for the stuff you use on amazon or something , does it need a applicator or something to go on the chain/cassette etc ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
cool stuff do you have a link for the stuff you use on amazon or something , does it need a applicator or something to go on the chain/cassette etc ?
This will last you a lifetime. You can get it in 1L bottles from Halfords or any car parts shop. It's standard gearbox oil that's in nearly every car. Ask for Hypoid 90 gear oil. Any brand will do. Hypoid 80 is more common these days. It's just a bit less viscous. 80 is OK, but 90 is better.
You just rotate the pedals backwards while you pour the oil on the chain. The oil is thick and comes out in a narrow stream so dead easy to control. Be careful not to overdo it. Make sure you put some newspaper underneath and leave it for about an hour because some will drip off, depending on how much you put on.

Last edited:

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I do what the Pro's do and wax them. There was a time I would go through the whole rigmarole of removing the chain and cleaning it, then dissolve wax in a can on the cooker over hot water and heat the chain so it wouldn't cool the hot wax too quickly when I dropped it in the can. Finally I'd lay the chain out to dry on an old towel where it would turn stiff so I'd have to crack the wax when fitting it back on the bike.
Time consuming and very messy but the results were perfect with a clean shiny chain you could handle without getting you're hands dirty, no oil so no dirt.
That was years ago, now I lube the smart way and use wax lubricants with same results as before clean chain with no dirt build up, I can grab hold of my bike chain and my hands stays clean & dry...brilliant.
The best thing unlike oils and greases the wax lube doesn't build up so you apply as much as you want whenever you want, no mess no dirt. Once you use wax on your chain you will never go back to using oil/grease, they all attract dirt even if you can't see it but rest assured it's there, but with wax it just does not seem to happen.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
has anyone with a Crossfuse developed a creaking noise from the handlebar area (not sure exactly what is making it)? And is it easily fixed.
The creaking could be coming from your front wheel bearings, push/pull the top of the wheel left/right and see if there is any play.
It could be play in the headset bearings, apply front brake and with the bike rocking gently back/forward feel for movement at the top and bottom of the headset tube.
Both are easily adjusted.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I do what the Pro's do and wax them. There was a time I would go through the whole rigmarole of removing the chain and cleaning it, then dissolve wax in a can on the cooker over hot water and heat the chain so it wouldn't cool the hot wax too quickly when I dropped it in the can. Finally I'd lay the chain out to dry on an old towel where it would turn stiff so I'd have to crack the wax when fitting it back on the bike.
Time consuming and very messy but the results were perfect with a clean shiny chain you could handle without getting you're hands dirty, no oil so no dirt.
That was years ago, now I lube the smart way and use wax lubricants with same results as before clean chain with no dirt build up, I can grab hold of my bike chain and my hands stays clean & dry...brilliant.
The best thing unlike oils and greases the wax lube doesn't build up so you apply as much as you want whenever you want, no mess no dirt. Once you use wax on your chain you will never go back to using oil/grease, they all attract dirt even if you can't see it but rest assured it's there, but with wax it just does not seem to happen.
Do you mean the drylube stuff as per Mucoff or is your wax a different product? Must admit the dry lube is brilliant in the summer months but didn;t stop rust on the plates when I rode through the inter last year.
Mike

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
The creaking could be coming from your front wheel bearings, push/pull the top of the wheel left/right and see if there is any play.
It could be play in the headset bearings, apply front brake and with the bike rocking gently back/forward feel for movement at the top and bottom of the headset tube.
Both are easily adjusted.
Thanks Awol. I think it must be the headset bearings as that's where the noise is coming from. Not while I am riding but usually when I'm hauling the bike around or getting on it. Good to know they can be adjusted - is it easy (I guess I can look on Youtube)
Mike

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks Awol. I think it must be the headset bearings as that's where the noise is coming from. Not while I am riding but usually when I'm hauling the bike around or getting on it. Good to know they can be adjusted - is it easy (I guess I can look on Youtube)
Mike
Yes it's easy, just youtube search headset bearings and you will find lots on servicing/overhauling them so just skip to near the end where they have put them back together and show how to adjust/set them.

Musket

Aug 2, 2019
I bought my Crossfuse three weeks ago and although I have clocked less than 200 miles to date, that’s all to change starting this morning as yesterday we travelled up to Scotland and about to get wet riding trails around Aviemore. My wife has a non electric mountain bike so I keep up easily on roads but tougher trails may catch me out.

I do like my bike but I have made a couple of changes. A more comfortable saddle for starters c/w a suspension post. Also put wider pedals with studs for grip. I swapped out the supplied tyres with Marathon Plus Tour. A bit wider and grippier for off road and most people reckon about as puncture proof as it gets.

I added mudguards, pannier rack and kickstand.

I enjoy using it. My previous e bike, a Claude Butler Glide 2 hardly ever got used. The step through was a good idea for my bad back but the riding position was not comfortable no matter how I adjusted things. Also the move from a hub motor to pedal assist is amazing.

As it’s going to be wet, we brought GT50, degreaser and chain lube with us for both bikes. Mainly as they are chained outside. (Good job my new saddle came with a cover then! I have fastened a shower cap over the electrics socket for the battery.)

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Just an update on the creaking noise. It was cured yesterday by a guy in the bike shop on Newcastle's Quayside. He slackened off the four bolts that hold the handlebar clamp in place. Then tightened them in the correct order with a torque wrench. Problem solved.
Mike

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Just an update on the creaking noise. It was cured yesterday by a guy in the bike shop on Newcastle's Quayside. He slackened off the four bolts that hold the handlebar clamp in place. Then tightened them in the correct order with a torque wrench. Problem solved.
Mike
Thanks for the info, I will bear that clamp in mind in the future.

PeterMaslin

Aug 29, 2019
i should really get mine checked for the creaking noise but i think mine is related to the pedals.

PeterMaslin

Aug 29, 2019
This will last you a lifetime. You can get it in 1L bottles from Halfords or any car parts shop. It's standard gearbox oil that's in nearly every car. Ask for Hypoid 90 gear oil. Any brand will do. Hypoid 80 is more common these days. It's just a bit less viscous. 80 is OK, but 90 is better.
You just rotate the pedals backwards while you pour the oil on the chain. The oil is thick and comes out in a narrow stream so dead easy to control. Be careful not to overdo it. Make sure you put some newspaper underneath and leave it for about an hour because some will drip off, depending on how much you put on.
thanks thats the one i got , do i need to completely coat the cassete and chain etc with it ?